Will Not Start after Shut Down Unless You Flash BIOS

jfnirvana292

[H]ard|Gawd
If you restart the pc it’ll restart fine. If you shut down it will not boot and the screen will be black. There’s no beeps or error codes. At this point you need to boot from a usb drive and flash the bios. (Currently at the latest version) and then it’ll start up.

So far I’ve switched to an external video card. I used one of the sticks of ram and switch the slots that they’re in. Does anyone have any ideas?!

Specs

Amd Ryzen 5600g
Gigabyte B550i Motherboard
8gb Crucial Ballistix sport x 2

If you restart the pc it’ll restart fine. If you shut down it will not boot and the screen will be black. There’s no beeps or error codes. At this point you need to boot from a usb drive and flash the bios. (Currently at the latest version) and then it’ll start up.

So far I’ve switched to an external video card. I used one of the sticks of ram and switch the slots that they’re in. Does anyone have any ideas?!

Specs

Amd Ryzen 5600g
Gigabyte B550i Motherboard
8gb Crucial Ballistix sport x 2

All I can say is that I've used essentially that same combo (different RAM) without any issues.

Do you have other parts you can test with? Different CPU?

How long have you waited to see if it will not boot, seen a video recently where a defective sata drive(or cable) caused a pc to boot up very slowly.

Also did you try an slighly older bios for you board to see if that fixes it.

someone has a cpu and ram that I may be able to do swapping with for testing… which one would you think is more likely the issue? Ram since you’re fine with the same cpu?

I would reseat the cpu.
What happens if you power down, unplug the power cable, hold down the power switch for a few seconds, plug in power cable and then press the power button?

This is a common Gigabyte bug unfortunately. If it's like the other boards which are affected, removing the CMOS battery and then putting it back in is the solution. The CMOS reset switch won't actually work but for some reason removing the battery does.

There's a big thread here.

Also found that you can restart after reset ting the cmos then use Authenticator to change the pin and log on. Not sure if that matters.

Last edited:
This is a common Gigabyte bug unfortunately. If it's like the other boards which are affected, removing the CMOS battery and then putting it back in is the solution. The CMOS reset switch won't actually work but for some reason removing the battery does.

There's a big thread here.
Do you know if gigabyte would rma it and send one that actually works?

Do you know if gigabyte would rma it and send one that actually works?
I went through the Gigabyte RMA process on a TRX40 board once. Now, I will never own another Gigabyte product ever again.

I doubt they will let you RMA for that, but even if they do, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Their standard turnaround is 3-6 months.

I went through the Gigabyte RMA process on a TRX40 board once. Now, I will never own another Gigabyte product ever again.

I doubt they will let you RMA for that, but even if they do, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Their standard turnaround is 3-6 months.
3-6 months? I've done multiple RMAs with gigabyte and it is typically 2-4 weeks.

Back