Will my psu work for what I am trying to do?

dctravis

n00b
I picked up one of these at microcenter for $50 thinking it would be good for my nas plex server build and wondering if I will be able to do what I originally intended with it or not now. Any help is appreciated.

It comes with the following connectors in the box
Connector: 24P(20+4)*1, IDE*3, SATA*6, PCI-E 8P(6+2)*2, CPU 8P(4+4)*1

I have a i3-10100 cpu paired with a h470 prime mobo and then was planning on running at least 10-12 hgst 3tb ultrastar 7k3000 sas drives via 2 lsi 9207-8i hba cards.

The issue comes from the 3 ide and 6 sata power connectors the cables have by default allowing for a maximum of 9 HDDs without changing anything I have atm. My psu in my gaming pc has 4 ide or sata power connectors per 6pin connector. I am wondering if I can figure out what the max amperage rating is per 6 or 8 pin socket on the psu to determine if it can handle running 4 HDDs per line?

Do I need to get a different psu for what I want to do or is there a good way to do this?

Edit: reason for so many drives is I got 10 of these drives for $16 each on a sale of refurbished drives and was hoping to start with large capacity on the cheap initially and potentially swap some out for larger drives as time goes on.

Found these as my psu has 3x 8p pci-e power connectors on it. Should work to power 4 drives each right?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I found out from somebody else that 8 pin pci-e does not contain +5Vdc and therefore will not work for powering a hdd... So I guess the only option would to utilize the 6pin power sockets.

Four 7200 RPM mechanical drives on a single cable run is fine, you could comfortably even go up to six of those specific drives and still have headroom power wise.

I wouldn't go hog wild with 10k or 15k rpm drives on a single run though, those eat a lot more power.

Back