Will my PSU suffice?

xenthressa

n00b
Will my 4 year old 480Watt Tagan Modular PSU suffice for this set up?

Intel Core i5 2500k
Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR3
Sapphire HD6950
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Samsung 2TB drives * 2
Possibly an SSD drive

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not recommended. That PSU was okay-ish at best when it was brand new. You really need a good-quality new 500W to 550W PSU for that system, such as a non-modular Antec Neo ECO 520W.

Will my 4 year old 480Watt Tagan Modular PSU suffice for this set up?

Intel Core i5 2500k
Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR3
Sapphire HD6950
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Samsung 2TB drives * 2
Possibly an SSD drive

Thanks.

The only Tagan Modular 480W unit I know of is the Easycon U15 which wasn't the best PSU out there to say the least... Shit voltage regulation but good component choice(Panasonic caps iirc) and subsequently good ripple suppression..
In theory it should be enough to power that rig, it had 360W 12v combined output and that's enough for the 200W 6950 + 100W 2500k + the <40W everything else. The question is, would it do it in a manner that will not jeopardize your hardware?
If you have a multimeter you can just plug everything in, run some synthetics and measure the voltages your CPU/GPU are receiving.. if they're acceptable than there's no need to change the PSU.

But if you can't do that, you should simply buy a new PSU just to be safe, list your budget and the shop/s you intend to buy it from and you'll get the best suggestions that way.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback and talking me out of using it for a new build, probably shouldn't be cheap as far as power supplies are involved.
Did a little looking around and I came up with this 850Watt Corsair, I know it's kind of overkill but I'm expecting it to survive several years and upgrades :)
The reviews I've looked up seem to be rather positive, any comments?

"Corsair Enthusiast TX850 V2"

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback and talking me out of using it for a new build, probably shouldn't be cheap as far as power supplies are involved.
Did a little looking around and I came up with this 850Watt Corsair, I know it's kind of overkill but I'm expecting it to survive several years and upgrades :)
The reviews I've looked up seem to be rather positive, any comments?

"Corsair Enthusiast TX850 V2"

Cheers.

The 650 would be plenty, the big push now is to raise performance while lowering power consumption.

Wouldnt it be better to just get the 850 so I don't have to get a new PSU for several upgrades, or are you saying the low load would cause it to be less efficient?

yea a 650 would be perfect but if u want o/kill 850 is a killer unit...rig in my sig runs perfect with ocz 700 fatality...my rig is pulling more than yours ...save money and go a good 650.... imo...

The 650 would be plenty, the big push now is to raise performance while lowering power consumption.
The 850 isn't going to raise power consumption. I'd get the 650 unless you ever thought about going SLI/CF. Even then you still might get away with the 650. Just depends on your budget and needs.

Wouldnt it be better to just get the 850 so I don't have to get a new PSU for several upgrades, or are you saying the low load would cause it to be less efficient?

Nope, the efficiency gains are irrelevant, a gold 450W unit @ 90% load will still offer better efficiency than a 850W bronze one @ any load;)
You should generally pick a lower output, higher quality unit than an overkill one ;)
Your system will see 400W load only in synthetics, otherwise you'll always be below 350W in gaming and the likes.. however, since there are some insane deals on Antec HCP 750W(115$) and HCP 850W(120$) on newegg at the moment you should just pick one of those.. fast:)

edit: misread your question, basically you don't want to slip below 20% load because efficiency simply plunges.. you want to be around 20% load at idle and around 80% at full system load(hardcore gaming), this way it all evens out with lower loads when browsing, multitasking etc ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys.

Thank for the input, I think this is going to be the end product.
If I do in the future end up adding another 560GTX ti in the mix that shouldn't present any problems right?

hady.png

Thanks.

If I do in the future end up adding another 560GTX ti in the mix that shouldn't present any problems right?
Thanks.
That is correct.

However, for that money you can get an Antec TPN 650W in most of Europe, which is a better PSU.

Regarding the VGA, you should just shell out the additional 10 euros or so and get the MSI Hawk version of the 560Ti;)

ps. excellent SSD choice;)

Thanks for the confirmation, antec seems to be more expensive than you said however. I will stay with the corsair i think :)

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if I should start another thread but since my setup is pretty similar I thought I would ask. I am in the process of building a new rig and was wondering if I can reuse my psu. I currently have the corsair hx 520. Will I run into any issues with the below system?

Intel Core i5 2500k
Gskill 16GB DDR3
MSI GTX 560 Ti
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
5 x hdd, 1 dvd rom

Your HX520 should power that system just fine.

Future reference, just make new threads.

Not sure if I should start another thread but since my setup is pretty similar I thought I would ask. I am in the process of building a new rig and was wondering if I can reuse my psu. I currently have the corsair hx 520. Will I run into any issues with the below system?

Intel Core i5 2500k
Gskill 16GB DDR3
MSI GTX 560 Ti
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
5 x hdd, 1 dvd rom

None at all, you'll be perfectly ok:)

Back