Will my PSU handle X-Fire or SLI?

Wickedout2011

Weaksauce
I have Antec EA 750 PSU and was just wondering if it could handle all of that. One reason I was going to get another PSU for that purpose alone. If I don't have to I won't! Thanks!

I'll probably replace it in Jan. 2012 with a big 1000 watt PSU. Might go X-fire sometime! I have my eye on the 7xxx series GPU's that may be coming out soon. So I'll just wait it out!

Just want to be prepared!

Your PSU can run any SLI or Crossfire system in the forseeable future, with the exception of perhaps highly overclocked x79 SLI/crossfire systems.

SLI 6870x2 will run fine with 750W you don't really need 1000W unless you're going with triple SLI or SLI with the current flagships.

Nice to know. I don't see myself going x79 anytime soon.

The reason why I say that is because x79 looks to be a power hungry beast, with estimates on the CPU power draw to be up to 200 watts or higher. If you keep to a mainstream platform like LGA1155, and you don't do extreme overclocks, your CPU draw is less than 150. The most demanding single graphics cards (GTX 580) draw about 250 watts each unless you overvolt them, and everything else is usually about 50 watts. Any single graphics card that exceeds 250 watts will be exceeding PCI-E specifications, and nVidia and AMD don't want to do that. They'll keep the cards under 250 watts, relying on improved designs to get more processing power.

The reason why I say that is because x79 looks to be a power hungry beast, with estimates on the CPU power draw to be up to 200 watts or higher.
I don't know where you heard that, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that LGA2011 CPUs will not draw anywhere near 200W at stock speed.
Any single graphics card that exceeds 250 watts will be exceeding PCI-E specifications, and manufacturers don't want to do that.
Wrong. The PCI-E standard specifies maximum power draw per connector and per slot, not per card. There is nothing preventing a GPU manufacturer from putting more than two PCI-E connector sockets on their cards, as some have already done. In any case, the theoretical limit for a PCI-E 2.0 card with two connectors is 450W; 150W each from two 8-pin connectors and 150W from the slot. No current video cards come close to that number.

I was referring to the statement I made above with a heavily overclocked x79 system.

I thought maximum power draw from the slot was 75 watts? And I don't think most people (including hardcore ones) would like to see a single GPU require two 8-pin power connectors. I also thought there was an official board limit of 250 watts for a single stock GPU? Or I must have misread that somewhere. I mean, nVidia could have released a fully enabled GTX 480, but they didn't want to exceed the power draw limits of a 6-pin and 8-pin connector.

I was referring to the statement I made above with a heavily overclocked x79 system.

I thought maximum power draw from the slot was 75 watts? And I don't think most people (including hardcore ones) would like to see a single GPU require two 8-pin power connectors. I also thought there was an official board limit of 250 watts for a single stock GPU? Or I must have misread that somewhere. I mean, nVidia could have released a fully enabled GTX 480, but they didn't want to exceed the power draw limits of a 6-pin and 8-pin connector.
Reading the thread with the melted 24pin connector should have cleared all that up for you..

1300960771bEiZcP5We3_1_8_l.jpg

Back