Will my desk be able to hold a bigger CRT monitor?

EGGO

Gawd
I've been eyeing monitors for the longest time. Currently, I have my eyes on the 24" Sony GDM-FW900.

http://azatek.com/details.asp?iid=690

The only problem that I may have is desk real estate for this. I have a 17" Compaq CRT (that still works *wonderfully*) however it's time for a good upgrade (and maybe have this thing as a secondary monitor at a nearby desk). Anyway...

Besides space, I'm also afraid if my desk can handle the weight. Here's how it looks now (and no, I'm not going to post this in the show off your workstation thread until I clean up :p )

glass.jpg

Showing how much space I have from side to side, which seems like a lot (I can always move that useless webcam)

glass1.jpg

Shows what this monitor is sitting on, which (if I remember) is tempered glass with some supports on the bottom (shown below).

glass2.jpg

What do you think? Safe for a few more lbs or no?

Have you checked the box/info that came with the desk to get the actual weight limits?

Yeah, check the limits on the desk. I'd hate to hear about a Tempered Glass Darwin winner sir!

That'd maybe hold a 19....an FW900? Are you nuts? :D
Aside from the fact that the thing is HUGE it weighs over 100lbs, IIRC...well heavier than my F500's are. I wouldn't trust one of them on there (and it wouldn't fit either, if my 17" is any indication. Maybe if it stuck way out...and remember, the 24" is significantly wider than my 21's.

Weight wise, you could probably rig up something thicker/stronger..but i don't see an FW fitting in there. Remember, tempered glass may be strong but it doesn't flex or bow..it blows. :eek: Without prior warning, and sends nice sharp shards in all directions (and your 24" for a nice fall).

That really really sucks. See, I don't really have an idea how that 24" looks like in real life; I've been in front of this 17" forever. Maybe I can squeeze by with a 21" or 19". I have to check my manual for this desk, as the box is long gone.

take the diagonal area of your monitor and strech it about 7 inches..then add another inch+ for bezel clearance...

An FW900 is a big SOB...really big ;)

Its something like a pair of 19 inchers on their sides next to each other...only not quite as big, and without the extra bezels in the middle. And it probably weighs more than a pair of 19's.

You have to consider not only the width and weight, it's also probably going to be quite a bit deeper. If that 17" is all the way back now, the 24" would probably stick too far out to fit on that shelf even if it could take the weight.

I like to sit about an arm's length back from the monitor and when my old 17" died, my husband tried to get me to take his spare 21" but I didn't want it because it would have stuck out considerably farther and been too much "in my face" for my liking.

So I went with a new 17" and was pleasantly surprised to find that it actally had an extra inch of diagonal screen while the case itself was slightly smaller. Guess monitor technology improved a bit in the 7 or 8 years I had the old one. Took me a long time to get used to the flat screen, though. :)

<edit to fix that I meant diagonal, not horizontal>

eighteen_psi said:
Its something like a pair of 19 inchers on their sides next to each other...only not quite as big, and without the extra bezels in the middle. And it probably weighs more than a pair of 19's.
No and yes, though it depends on the model. I've carried 19" screens on both sides of 50 lbs.
Size wise, it's more like 2 17" monitors rotated 90 degrees and placed next to each other.
If you want to get an idea of the size, the viewing area is 19" x 12.1", so 230 square inches. Your typical 17" monitor is 12.8x9.6 or so viewable, so it's about 123 square inches.
As for the weight, well, it's around 100 lbs. So clear all your hardware out of the room, get a dozen gallons of milk, and pile them on the monitor plate. That way if it gives way and you end up with a big messy spill at least there won't be any sense in crying over it. :p
Another thing you have to remember is the depth of the monitor. Your 17" is practically falling off of that desk. Alas, someone put what appears to be a structural member right behind the monitor. I doubt the FW900 would fit, even if the space was wide enough it's quite unlikely to be deep enough. You might be able to find a short 19" or 21" CRT that'll go, but you'll have to check the specs carefully.
Personally I think you should just ditch the desk.

I hate to dissappoint but I actually purchased one of these from azatek and the text is definetely blurry. Maybe I got a bad one or something, but I have heard that text is noticeably less crisp on this monitor. The funny thing is, all pictures and graphics look great.

ohnnyj said:
I hate to dissappoint but I actually purchased one of these from azatek and the text is definetely blurry. Maybe I got a bad one or something, but I have heard that text is noticeably less crisp on this monitor. The funny thing is, all pictures and graphics look great.

While the aperature grille isn't as tight as the F400/F500, its at least as tight as pretty much all other AG displays out there...should look plenty crisp if its in decent shape and you have a nice DAC driving it (and a nice cable)....details of your setup?

24" is Gigantic - I'd look into a desk or table that had way more structural integrity than what you currently have.

Maybe use your current setup for the second comp with that monitor you currently have.

eighteen_psi said:
While the aperature grille isn't as tight as the F400/F500, its at least as tight as pretty much all other AG displays out there...should look plenty crisp if its in decent shape and you have a nice DAC driving it (and a nice cable)....details of your setup?
I have a couple of 6800GTs on some Monster BNC cables.

Well trying to see how far I can go (not reaching threshold though). According to monitorworld.com the depth is 17.75"

I guess all I'm going to look for is another type of monitor, but I'm going to do that in the displays forum, so thanks for your answers.

[edit] Oh seems that it was already moved to displays. I guess I'll just ask right here.

Well basically, I'm looking for a CRT screen that is around that 17.75" depth. However, I'm trying to get as big as possible, both physically, but especially pixel-resolution. I'm looking at the NEC FE991SB (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-037&depa=0), whose optimal is 1792 x 1344 @ 68 Hz with a depth of 17.6". I'll be using this for heavy graphics creation.

But I'm wondering if I can squeeze the FP2141SB in it, the depth is 18.5".

Back