Will my current PSU be able to handle my GPU upgrade?

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I got in on this deal for a Powercolor R9 270X 4GB GPU a couple months ago, and finally received it in the mail this week. I haven't had any issues so far running this same setup with an MSI 2GB R9 270OC gaming, but I'm unsure since I'm assuming this GPU will probably draw more power.

My specs are:
Corsair 430w PSU
i7 4770k
Asus Z87-plus
240gb SSD
1TB Hitachi SATA HDD
8GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
Intel wireless N card
onboard sound
Asus PB287Q 4k display

I'm not running an optical drive or any other peripherals i can think of.

Thanks!

While a 270X will draw more power than a 270, it's not that much higher. Maybe about 15-20 watts or so. You should be fine.

the 290x can draw 350 watts by itself when overclocked, but stock if you don't enable uber mode it should work although you may need to lower the power target and you are maxing out your PSU

Let me get this straight...

You have a 4K display, 290X, 4770K, 240GB SSD... and a 430w PSU?

one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other.jpg

Let me get this straight...

You have a 4K display, 290X, 4770K, 240GB SSD... and a 430w PSU?

one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other.jpg

haha I figured this out as soon as I brought it home. I'm now officially in the market for a 750W+quality modular psu.

750W sounds about right though you may be able to get away with less. I had the same setup minus the 4K display running on 750w with 7 case fans and a slight overclock to 4.3Ghz. Worked without a problem even under full load. Only thing that should worry you is temps and noise unless the powercolor you got was one with a PCS+ cooler.

haha I figured this out as soon as I brought it home. I'm now officially in the market for a 750W+quality modular psu.

If you have no serious plans for SLI or crossfire, a good 550-650 watt PSU would be more than sufficient.

If you have no serious plans for SLI or crossfire, a good 550-650 watt PSU would be more than sufficient.

I 100% agree with this. 550w would be fine, and 650w would allow plenty of additional headroom as long as you aren't going to do SLI/CF.

Back