Will my Corsair 620hx handle a ATi 5970?

Because he called me wrong then started spreading fud. I would never trust an answer from someone who has no fucking clue what they are talking about.

We might be speaking different languages here.

I was saying that his whole methodology was wrong, but that the OP's power supply should be able to support the card. He said the card could support it. The recommendation was fine even if the rationale was not. ;)

The "I don't see why this is so difficult part" is about understanding efficiency. People seem to want to apply 80% efficiency twice: both to power drawn and power output. Several people just don't get it. Except none of that is really relevent to this discussion. They have no idea what efficiency means even if it is so simple a concept.

If you draw 6,000 watts but only output 600 watts to the components you're at 10% efficiency. WOW THAT'S TERRIBLE. However, your power supply would be rated at 600 watts so you are able to deliver 100% of your rated claim on a good power supply. Even at 10% you can deliver 600 watts to your components. Efficiency is irrelevant to the amount of power a power supply can supply (wow that sentence sounds strange...how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if...).

People see "80% efficient" and apply it twice, even though that is the wrong way to look at it. They assume that the power supply can only access 80% of the power it draws from the line, and then is only able to deliver 80% of that power to the components. That indicates 64% efficiency, not 80%, but math is evil so let's ignore it. So they create false constructs and make unfortunate facts true in their little own world. 80% efficient, though, means that a power supply delivers 80% of the power it draws from the wall to the components. There is no intermediate bullshit.

A good power supply is fully capable of supplying 100+% of its rated power for a while. The [H] torture tests at 80% for 8 hours because 8 hours is a long time and you lose efficiency and maybe even capability the longer you go. That said, how many people game for 8 hours in a row? If you're loading your PSU to close to 100% but only for 2-3 hours at a time it probably will not die.

My language has probably gone back and forth but I don't blame you for anything. I quoted you just because you provided a point of discussion.

For the people that believe a power supply can only deliver 80% of what it is rated for, that's not necessarily a bad metric, if you run at 80% 24/7. It's better to be safe than sorry, and you don't wan't to kill your PSU. The thing is that most people do not do that. Most (high-end) people stress their computers for a while when gaming then go back to normal use, which requires far less than 80% power use. Rock the shit out of that 5970 on an HX620. ;)

We might be speaking different languages here.

I was saying that his whole methodology was wrong, but that the OP's power supply should be able to support the card. He said the card could support it. The recommendation was fine even if the rationale was not. ;)

The "I don't see why this is so difficult part" is about understanding efficiency. People seem to want to apply 80% efficiency twice: both to power drawn and power output. Several people just don't get it. Except none of that is really relevent to this discussion. They have no idea what efficiency means even if it is so simple a concept.

If you draw 6,000 watts but only output 600 watts to the components you're at 10% efficiency. WOW THAT'S TERRIBLE. However, your power supply would be rated at 600 watts so you are able to deliver 100% of your rated claim on a good power supply. Even at 10% you can deliver 600 watts to your components. Efficiency is irrelevant to the amount of power a power supply can supply (wow that sentence sounds strange...how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if...).

People see "80% efficient" and apply it twice, even though that is the wrong way to look at it. They assume that the power supply can only access 80% of the power it draws from the line, and then is only able to deliver 80% of that power to the components. That indicates 64% efficiency, not 80%, but math is evil so let's ignore it. So they create false constructs and make unfortunate facts true in their little own world. 80% efficient, though, means that a power supply delivers 80% of the power it draws from the wall to the components. There is no intermediate bullshit.

A good power supply is fully capable of supplying 100+% of its rated power for a while. The [H] torture tests at 80% for 8 hours because 8 hours is a long time and you lose efficiency and maybe even capability the longer you go. That said, how many people game for 8 hours in a row? If you're loading your PSU to close to 100% but only for 2-3 hours at a time it probably will not die.

My language has probably gone back and forth but I don't blame you for anything. I quoted you just because you provided a point of discussion.

For the people that believe a power supply can only deliver 80% of what it is rated for, that's not necessarily a bad metric, if you run at 80% 24/7. It's better to be safe than sorry, and you don't wan't to kill your PSU. The thing is that most people do not do that. Most (high-end) people stress their computers for a while when gaming then go back to normal use, which requires far less than 80% power use. Rock the shit out of that 5970 on an HX620. ;)

Not reading a wall of text. I'm right.

I believe you need an 8 pin pcie connector to power a 5970, and that psu only has two 6 pin pcie connectors.

Going by this info I think I'll be good to go. I don't think I'll overclock the 5890, I see no reason to.

I believe you need an 8 pin pcie connector to power a 5970, and that psu only has two 6 pin pcie connectors.

Not true. Even if you didn't get 8-pin PCIe with yours, you can still easily get it from Corsair, and for free! That's the beauty of modular PSUs :D Besides, only initial batches of 620hxs were sold w/o the 8pins (when 620hx came out, there were no videocards needing 8pins yet), but all later 620hxs came with at least one (maybe 2) 8pin connectors.

That's interesting. That's a pretty good bargain then I guess. Solid little psu capable of handling a 5970.

Mine's got 2 8/6pin changeable connectors :)

And yes, this thread is lulzworthy so far.

It sure is. I thought this was going to be a 5 reply thread, not 50+!

"I'm right, your wrong"

"Did read your post, I'm still right"

Funny shit.

Good thing is I'll be getting this card! Not to flame, but my nephew bought a GTX295 right when after the 5870's came out. I feel real sorry for him. Maybe he can find someone with another GTX295 to SLI and use the money to get a 5870 or 5970.

Yeah I had the initial batch that just came with 2 6pins. Emailed a Corsair rep and they sent out 2 6+8 pin cables free of charge. <3 Corsair

How are you powering a 4870x2 if your psu doesn't have a 8pin pcie connector. I would hope you are not using an adapter.

Mine came with 2x 6+2 8 pin pci-e. I'm running the card overclocked as well (1.3 voltage, 850 core on both) and no issue.

I got the Corsair 520HX when it first came out, and the first batch did not ship with an 8-pin cable, though it could use them. The 8-pin standard had just gotten started with the release of the ATi 2900xt when the Corsair PSUs came out. I don't know whether or not the first 620HX PSUs shipped with or without 8-pin cables. If you've got either a 520HX or 620HX that didn't ship with them, contact Corsair and they will supply you with them.

Oh, and further proof that an 80% efficient 620W PSU supplies 620W at full load:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/03/14/corsair_hx620_620w_power_supply/4

i am sorry i see a lottttttt of wrong and non - experianced answers,

which is really wierd.

to the OP. an 80% plus PSU will develop 80% of its efficency which means.

0.8x620watt=496 watts MAX.

and that's decreasing with time my dear like every mechanical or electrical device.

so short answer is NO. it will not handle that monster power sucking Q660 with 8GB of rams and a 5970 for long.

long answer , lets wait for some more funny answers first

that one is pure GOLD.

There's nothing wrong with giving an incorrect answer or getting facts a little twisted but when you start to belittle others you better make sure you triple check your info/knowledge...if not, this thread and replies will be the consequence of your ignorance.

No but its really not on that people give bad advice about things like PSUs, swapping to a higher power draw video card without supplying enough power puts strain on the PSU which can eventually kill it. The PSU may not die straight away it may only be under strain when the card peaks in power draw and so might last a few weeks before eventually going bang.

But remember the PSU is connected to almost everything in the computer and things can be at risk from a damaged PSU so it's best to be safe and get something you know will cover you, having it borderline is a risk in my eyes.

No but its really not on that people give bad advice about things like PSUs, swapping to a higher power draw video card without supplying enough power puts strain on the PSU which can eventually kill it.

It has already been shown the PSU in question can handle it.

HAHA!

Kyle needs to start a wall of shame so that new members can be sure to ignore anything some people say.

It has already been shown the PSU in question can handle it.

I know the recommended is usualy slightly overkill for safety but AMD recommend a 650W for normal use and 750W+ for overvolting & overclocking.

I dont know why you'd buy such an expensive piece of kit and then run a borderline capable PSU, spend an extra few £ and get something that can take care of the system properly otherwise theres a chance it will all end in tears.

And if you're buying this GPU and not overclocking it's a massive waste, the whole card is top end hardware deliberately gimped, not running the kit at least it's rated specs (5870 speeds) is such a massive waste.

Back