Will my AMD 8350 stock heat pipe cooler fit my AM4?

narsbars

2[H]4U
Just noticed I still have a cooler for an 8350 and I was wondering if it might be a better solution than the Wraith Stealth I am using on my 3800X. Runs at 4200.

An AM3 fx 8350? Should work fine if it uses the tab mounting mechanism. If it uses it's own, with screws through the board, then it'll depend on your motherboard (some boards use AMD's updated screw locations, wich are incompatible with older coolers).

Wraith Prism can't dissipate heat for full potential of a 3700x under PBO, you lose a couple 100mhz.

I couldn't deal with it's noise with my am4 CPUs 4ghz+ all core.

I'd look for a used 140mm Noctua cooler or near free Prism and go from there.

Wraith Prism can't dissipate heat for full potential of a 3700x under PBO, you lose a couple 100mhz.

I like your idea. I take it you have experience with the 3700X and needing more cooling? What do you think about the Hyper212, and I have an old Hydro series H100i but that is noisy.

I like your idea. I take it you have experience with the 3700X and needing more cooling? What do you think about the Hyper212, and I have an old Hydro series H100i but that is noisy.

Yeah, my gaming box is in my sig, but my 3700x + X570 work box is the same general white boxed desktop
3x120mm intake + u14s cooler in a Define C
I really should run a 280 aio, but I'm not gaming on it, PBO + XMP everything else stock.

I tried out a 212 black that was going in my buddy's kids 1st gaming PC.
It's 3200g based, kid is 8yo, plays Fortnite and all that.
APU is clocked so he can get playable framerate.
Heat peaked so case would start sucking air, 212 is fine to throw together but you start demanding a lot and you over in the 80c unconfortably.
This is in a box I threw together that I knew had good cooling, more closed case and you'll get in the red with a 212 and an 8c+

Ended up adding 1 then 2nd Corsair ML120 to try to get heat and throttling down.
Case is a Rosewill, the TG one with 3x ML120's in front so intake was solid at a locked 40% bc you have to tune those ML fans for vibration as well as noise.
Ended up giving him a RX460 4gb I had laying around.

My buddy did a 3600 build using a U12s, I told him 140mm but he wanted a pretty skinny case.
Thermal throttling wasn't as bad as the stock cooler, but its still noticeable compared to my AMD builds.
He's on an AIO bc he can't fit anything taller to stick with air, and the overall balance of his build is pretty hot so his fans had to all crank.....even GPU.
240mm top, 120mm exhaust, 2x140mm intake was what he ended up with.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1875-ryzen-3900x-wraith-prism-rgb-vs-liquid-cooler/

TLDR: You gain lower operating noise and lower temps, but the boosting difference between the two results in negligible performance gains.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1875-ryzen-3900x-wraith-prism-rgb-vs-liquid-cooler/

TLDR: You gain lower operating noise and lower temps, but the boosting difference between the two results in negligible performance gains.

Depends on your workload.
My AM4 boxes are kubernetes mules ingesting React fronted builds.
I'm doing a lot of load testing and pipeline optimization.
Minority data tier optimization.

Think: I synthetically generate 100k users and fire them at the stack under test before I push to testing requiring GPUs

Classis was it DNS, lack of Dev understanding of which loadbalancer to use where, how to path TCP gets, did K8s just straight up break again and why didn't the connections drain in the manner I want them to to a hot cluster?

Just noticed I still have a cooler for an 8350 and I was wondering if it might be a better solution than the Wraith Stealth I am using on my 3800X. Runs at 4200.

Are you using the Wraith Prism that comes with the 3800x or an actual wraith stealth that comes with a lesser CPU?

I would think the 8350 cooler is better than the stealth, but not as good as the prism.

Depends on your workload.
My AM4 boxes are kubernetes mules ingesting React fronted builds.
I'm doing a lot of load testing and pipeline optimization.
Minority data tier optimization.

Think: I synthetically generate 100k users and fire them at the stack under test before I push to testing requiring GPUs

Absolutely. I'm not saying that the wraith prism is great for every workload, but for the average user, and for the cost (free), it's not bad.

Absolutely. I'm not saying that the wraith prism is great for every workload, but for the average user, and for the cost (free), it's not bad.

I agree.

I was trying to dissuade him from using an AM3 cooler in place of a Prism but he states he's using a Stealth...which is inappropriate even for a clocked APU imo.

We will have to circle back with the OP when Zen3 launches.

The AM3 Cooler I was going to use was from an 8350 and has heat pipes but I am going for the short term due to cash flow and will be looking for a used Wraith if it is the best I can get in that price range.
Thank for the input and great comments.

The AM3 Cooler I was going to use was from an 8350 and has heat pipes but I am going for the short term due to cash flow and will be looking for a used Wraith if it is the best I can get in that price range.
Thank for the input and great comments.

212 black specifically (bc of mount orientation) or that Gammax copy if noise bothers you vs Prism.

It's just a question of $20 or less all in and you're set.

212 black specifically (bc of mount orientation) or that Gammax copy if noise bothers you vs Prism.

It's just a question of $20 or less all in and you're set.
Now I am debating. I don't really want to pull the MB again so do I look for a Prism or another heatsink that does not require pulling the board?

Now I am debating. I don't really want to pull the MB again so do I look for a Prism or another heatsink that does not require pulling the board?

Go with a Prism or Wraith Max.
They were going for $10-15 before lockdown bc I was grabbing them for kid builds for rgb and $ sensitivity.
I’d hold out for $20 all in, no reason to spend towards 212 black new or used u14s territory.

Air coolers are too tight a $ tiered environment.

Go with a Prism or Wraith Max.
They were going for $10-15 before lockdown bc I was grabbing them for kid builds for rgb and $ sensitivity.
I’d hold out for $20 all in, no reason to spend towards 212 black new or used u14s territory.

Air coolers are too tight a $ tiered environment.
Can't find either of those for that price. Best I have seen is a Wraith for $32.00 shipped.

8350 cooler will work on an AM4 board, but it won't work for a 3800X... Wraith Max would be the oldest OEM cooler that could keep up and that is essentially the Prism's older brother

8350 cooler will work on an AM4 board, but it won't work for a 3800X... Wraith Max would be the oldest OEM cooler that could keep up and that is essentially the Prism's older brother

What ^ said.
Unfortunately the Max shot up in value along with the Prism for Ryzen owners.
Air cooler pricing is tight, $10 separates tiers.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY

Gammax is what I’d buy for $24 if I had to slap together a budget build right now.
I wouldn’t use a Stealth or an am3 cooler.
All I’d be looking to do is keep out of the 90c range under load and be done with it.

This is kinda absurd bc OP has a 3800x, yet I'm coming from the used Apu, 4c, and 6c builds I pour concern on bc they're going to kids that need their boxes for school....then Fortnite. I don’t want to service their builds often, I’ve got a finite performance envelope for them.

I'd take more care with an 8c+, and pull the trigger on a used Noctua. 3800x price being 2x-5x more than I'd spend on whatever used cpu at that moment I'm pulling together a kid box. Adults can have open expectations, kids I just tell them to get As then talk to your parents for that upgrade I’m not going to pay for.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What ^ said.
Unfortunately the Max shot up in value along with the Prism for Ryzen owners.
Air cooler pricing is tight, $10 separates tiers.

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY

Gammax is what I’d buy for $24 if I had to slap together a budget build right now.
I wouldn’t use a Stealth or an am3 cooler.
All I’d be looking to do is keep out of the 90c range under load and be done with it.

This is kinda absurd bc OP has a 3800x, yet I'm coming from the used Apu, 4c, and 6c builds I pour concern on bc they're going to kids that need their boxes for school....then Fortnite. I don’t want to service their builds often, I’ve got a finite performance envelope for them.

I'd take more care with an 8c+, and pull the trigger on a used Noctua. 3800x price being 2x-5x more than I'd spend on whatever used cpu at that moment I'm pulling together a kid box. Adults can have open expectations, kids I just tell them to get As then talk to your parents for that upgrade I’m not going to pay for.
Just got a buy on a Wraith, almost unused. Thank you. I might have bought the Gammaxx if I had seen it first.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got a buy on a Wraith, almost unused. Thank you. I might have bought the Gammaxx if I had seen it first.

Good, bc you have a baseline for that next cpu upgrade as well as getting your build hangups past you.

I'm curious about where Zen3 6c will go with heat envelope. There's still place for air coolers with 8c Zen2 and down the stack. 3600 is a diff animal to my old 2600, that extra cooler noise was notable on release.

3900x I found was too much for the Prism or my U14s 2x fans bc fans were working hard most of the time.

If 8c APUs hit the market I'm interested in how the cooler landscape will change.

Good, bc you have a baseline for that next cpu upgrade as well as getting your build hangups past you.

I'm curious about where Zen3 6c will go with heat envelope. There's still place for air coolers with 8c Zen2 and down the stack. 3600 is a diff animal to my old 2600, that extra cooler noise was notable on release.

3900x I found was too much for the Prism or my U14s 2x fans bc fans were working hard most of the time.

If 8c APUs hit the market I'm interested in how the cooler landscape will change.
Yeah. I think air cooling will have a place for quite a while. Now I better sell my 3600X before it loses any more value.
Almost traded up to a 3950X but didn't think I would see much gaming improvement seeing as I need to replace my 1070 GTX

Yeah. I think air cooling will have a place for quite a while. Now I better sell my 3600X before it loses any more value.
Almost traded up to a 3950X but didn't think I would see much gaming improvement seeing as I need to replace my 1070 GTX

I can't see a 3950x for gaming being worth it with Zen3 launching in the next quarter.

AMD needs to push volume in the higher frequency 4c and 6c skus with something compelling, and get 8c APUs out.

Thanks to everyone. I bought a Wraith from another H Member and it is doing the job I need perfectly. I set it on high and the noise is no real issue while the temps are fine.

Back