Will Mark Zuckerberg Be Our Next President?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Many influential people in Silicon Valley think that Zuckerberg will run for the presidency someday. Would you vote for him?

…let’s just say Zuckerberg decides to run. If you’re Elizabeth Warren, Paul Ryan, or Kanye West (who also aspires to be president—God help us all) what’s your attack on Zuckerberg? Privacy. Over the years, one of Zuckerberg’s biggest blunders has been the lack of respect for people’s privacy on Facebook. In the early days of the social network, he pillaged, sneered, and ignored people’s concerns about their privacy. Sure, it worked out well for the company and created entirely new societal norms for what it meant to be open, but it’s something that is going to follow him wherever he goes. And, given Zuckerberg’s unsuccessful bid to get Facebook into China, you can be sure politicians would attempt to paint him as someone just trying to use public office to grow his business.

Zuckerberg got lucky on facebook, in fact I would argue he is a thief that profits off of others that did the work.

He is big pro government and promotes tyranny.

There is nothing good about him, just a manchild wanting endless of power at his fingertips.

Only difference between Zuckerberg and a criminal in prison, Zuckerberg does the same stuff legally.

Last edited:
Is anyone a fan of Zuckerberg? If you have a Facebook account you are even less likely to be enamored of the guy. He has zero charisma as well. Jobs had charisma. Trump has charisma (whether you are a fan or not). Even Bill Gates has his own sort of dorky charisma. Zuckerberg is a boring wet rag.

Isn't he one of the Muslim-gay-Mexican-transgender-Jewish-African-Illuminati-Pizza-Ordering-Female-Flesh-Eating-Cannibal-Lizard-Men from inside that Hollow-Flat earth?

Pretty sure he's a race traitor too. His "wife" is an "American" who does not have a pink penis, thus is not a real American.

i mean hell we could have trump as president.... oh wait... so how much worse could it really get if zuckerberg ran for president, lol.

If nothing else, I do think it definitely opened the door for any rando celebrity figure to run in the future.

From what I understand one does not even need a Facebook account in order to be tracked by Facebook.

If only the idea of "opt out" were truly relevant.

Ok, just was wondering how people here have been damaged by Facebook by no means of their own doing is all. I get a lot of heat in debates in Genmay over this kind of stuff. But I've NEVER blamed some invisible or unknowable force for ANY misfortune not of my own doing. I'm just one of those lefties that takes personal responsibility very seriously, probably more so than most conservatives. And that doesn't mean I don't make mistakes or am perfect. I simply know when I was the one that caused my problem and acknowledge it.

Look in the mirror. That's the greatest adversary most will ever face.

If you even have to ask it shows you have not really even given a thought about what Facebook is and what it's doing to the society.

In other words, FB has done nothing to you personally that you know of or are willing to admit here. When you make the claim you did and provide a totally meaningless answer, the only logical deductions to be made are these.

So how has FB damaged your life? People who use it irresponsibly, like anything else, damage their own lives.

It's damaged my life by screwing up society in general. Facebook was one of the first big firms out there to exploit people's ignorance when it comes to the knowledge of their and their associates information to make huge sums of money, creating an addiction to suckling on the teat of "social" media. I have friends adding me to postings, photos of me with them, tags with me and where I am (despite me having ditched the site a few years ago now). Pictures of my wife, my kids and my family, whether I want them there or not. I can't remove them, they're owned by Facebook now. They can do whatever they want with them, including selling that information on to whomever they see fit.

It's generally known and proven that the systems and company he helped to design, market and build have messed up the social world in general, as well as peoples self image and esteem. Couple that with his general distain and scumbag attitude to the people he's convinced that they can't live without his cancerous website, and I think this guy would make an extremely successful candidate for a future presidency.

Given that you Americans voted in a megalomaniac like Trump, not that the alternative was any better, nothing would surprise when it comes to the presidency from now on.

Looking at US today, the movie Idiocracy undoubtedly comes to mind.

Quote from http://time.com/4327424/idiocracy/
Eight years ago, with the publication of Susan Jacoby’s The Age of American Unreason, our country had a debate about whether its citizens were becoming less intelligent. This year, we had a debate about how big Donald Trump’s penis is. While we have not resolved the latter, we have answered the former. Former means first, and latter means second.

I called the people who made Idiocracy to see how they so accurately predicted the future. “I’m no prophet,” Judge told me. “I was off by 490 years.” He too is shocked at how eerily similar the world has become to the one his movie depicted.

Trump was the test. Had to know how much control they had over the electoral college. Winning popular vote has always been easy for them, the masses are influenced easily by media. Controlling multiple electorals which all have their own agendas is far more difficult, because like all politicians they say one thing and do another. By pitting a favored political candidate against one who has no political background and is disliked by they majority, they know now they can override the popular decision and put whoever they want into office. Getting Trump into office was crucial for them, even more so since there are multiple supreme court justice seats empty, not to mention the FCC chairman seat will be empty soon. Trump gets to pick them all, then they get approved by the senate. They control enough of the house and senate to get Trump elected, then they control enough of the senate to make sure anyone Trump picks will be approved. Also, any law created and approved by the house and senate will not be vetoed by Trump.

Don't get me wrong, had Clinton been elected things would have been no better. Alphabet soup surveillance would be doing double duty putting in their own backdoors into every house they can reach, globally. Obviously this won't fly with the public, or global politics, but it was never going to deter them from doing it. Trump being in office means it will just be that much smoother for them, since they can legitimize all their activities.

All the mudslinging going on between the CIA, FBI, NSA, Russia and Trump is meant to confuse and divert the masses from the true sleight of hand they are about to pull. Behind the scenes they are all working together perfectly in order to pull off the greatest magic trick the world has ever seen.

/tinfoil hat off :D

That's a really important point. I do not feel, though, that it detracts from the facts about Facebook and its CEO (the subject of this thread).

This is perfectly reasonable. But again, to make that claim that FB damages lives, how? Because some did something stupid and then posted that on FB? That's not FB damaging lives.

It's damaged my life by screwing up society in general. Facebook was one of the first big firms out there to exploit people's ignorance when it comes to the knowledge of their and their associates information to make huge sums of money, creating an addiction to suckling on the teat of "social" media. I have friends adding me to postings, photos of me with them, tags with me and where I am (despite me having ditched the site a few years ago now). Pictures of my wife, my kids and my family, whether I want them there or not. I can't remove them, they're owned by Facebook now. They can do whatever they want with them, including selling that information on to whomever they see fit.

It's generally known and proven that the systems and company he helped to design, market and build have messed up the social world in general, as well as peoples self image and esteem. Couple that with his general distain and scumbag attitude to the people he's convinced that they can't live without his cancerous website, and I think this guy would make an extremely successful candidate for a future presidency.

I don't think you and your family are that important for random people to care about some old pictures on facebook of you.

Your paranoid level is almost god like.

All you need to do is a simple Google search on how Facebook is ruining lives. http://bfy.tw/9UP3

I've had to block Facebook and Youtube at work since reminders and warnings did nothing. That crap is almost as addictive as crack.

I was not the one to use the word, "damage", and indeed the word may be too extreme. But I do think Facebook has caused real harm, a conclusion I have reached by imagining a world without it. Much of the blame goes squarely to people who actively choose to use it and therefore to make the company and its practices financially viable. In part, the company and its founder are symbolic of the sad state of the internet nowadays.
But again, to make that claim that FB damages lives, how?

Finally a candidate HRC could beat.
The guy is pretty universally hated. That aside, his views are generally very much in opposition to my own, so I would never vote for him.

This is great.
I really hope the democrats and their elites push this guy to be the nominee. It will definitely show how out of touch they are with reality.

So things you don't like but no points of specific damage to you or your loved ones.

Why have politicians catering to lobbyists when you can have the lobbyists themselves take the office instead? It's 2017, cut out the middle man and embrace the Kleptocracy already.

I might even get a facebook account if he were to run.
One things for sure, he'd win hands down.

I was not the one to use the word, "damage", and indeed the word may be too extreme. But I do think Facebook has caused real harm, a conclusion I have reached by imagining a world without it. Much of the blame goes squarely to people who actively choose to use it and therefore to make the company and its practices financially viable. In part, the company and its founder are symbolic of the sad state of the internet nowadays.

Just ONE claim of specific damage done to one or their caused by FB by no hand of their own. Caused by specifically by FB, not those who use it.

So things you don't like but no points of specific damage to you or your loved ones.
I think part of the problem is that ordinary people are not fully informed about many basic details about the costs, risks and benefits involved in having their information collected, analyzed or influenced by Facebook, even if they never had an account. There are too many unknowns. That is why we can make an unfair situation even more unfair by demanding that people should explain whether and how harm occurred. That is the very problem: They don't know and aren't allowed to know.

I might even get a facebook account if he were to run.
One things for sure, he'd win hands down.

You've got to figure Trump has paved a way for billionaires to run that don't want to disclose their finances or how they'd handle them in office.

I think part of the problem is that ordinary people are not fully informed about many basic details about the costs, risks and benefits involved in having their information collected, analyzed or influenced by Facebook, even if they never had an account. There are too many unknowns. That is why we can make an unfair situation even more unfair by demanding that people should explain whether and how harm occurred. That is the very problem: They don't know and aren't allowed to know.

Don't underestimate ordinary people. Isn't that how Trump won at pretty much all the swing states that gave him the Presidency?

Reactions: AK0tA
like this

If a private company does something to me that I don't like, without my permission, and doesn't allow me to revoke or reverse what they've done, then yes, I count that as damage. You don't know who is looking at that information or what they're doing with it. I've got people in my past that I'd really rather not know what I'm doing or where I am. Social media's ubiquity is a threat to that. If they allowed me to completely remove any past, present or future references to me or my family then that would go some way to gaining some credibility in my eyes. The technology is surely there, they just don't want to allow the use of it.

I get others might not think me or my family is important enough for others to give a shit about, but to be honest, that's not yours or Facebook's call to make. It's not paranoia if your information is being freely sold and shared. Facebook and Google between themselves have a lot to answer for in this respect.

Ah, Vanity Fair taking a page from Oprah Winfrey's playbook. Planting seeds is what they are doing.

Just ONE claim of specific damage done to one or their caused by FB by no hand of their own. Caused by specifically by FB, not those who use it.
Instead of asking people to prove Facebook caused them harm, I would be more interested in asking Facebook to prove it does not cause harm. (But even then, that may not satisfy various what-if scenarios.) I don't really think it's about paranoia; it's more about safeguards to ensure we will continue to live in the kind of world we want to live in. Maybe it's only wishful thinking.

In this forum in Genmay, I'm CONSTALY attacked about blaming others for my problems, even though I go out of my way to point out that I believe that I'm my own worst enemy. It seems a lot of folks here think that FB is somehow worse than slavery or Jim Crow. Like somehow, there weren't forces that are beyond one's control that screw up lives but FB is.

Instead of asking people to prove Facebook caused them harm, I would be more interested in asking Facebook to prove it does not cause harm. (But even then, that may not satisfy various what-if scenarios.) I don't really think it's about paranoia; it's more about safeguards to ensure we will continue to live in the kind of world we want to live in. Maybe it's only wishful thinking.

Really? So black people who think they are being targeted every day by cops, that's all in their heads. No proof needed. But FB, that's damaging people lives and we need proof that it's not. Not trying to bring race into the matter but from my perspective the notion is LOL silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back