Will Intel bring the 10–Core Comet Lake CPU to Laptops?

Panel

Gawd
Pretty much the title. Intel has somehow managed to stuff 8 cores into their 45w, 14nm mobile H series chips that were originally meant for just 4 cores. Honestly, it’s worked out well for multi-threaded applications on laptops.

But with the rumored 10 core Comet Lake desktop chip slated to consume significantly more power than even the i9 9900K, is there any hope of them magically being able to stuff it into a laptop’s 45w limit? Or is there any hope of them releasing a higher TDP laptop chip to accommodate the 10 cores?

Let me know what you think the odds of this happening are. If I want 10 cores, am I likely to get them next year, or should I not expect them and just pick up an 8 core machine right now? I’m willing to wait, I just want some reassurance that it’ll happen. If not, screw waiting.

I would be curious to see laptops that are able to handle the heat of most of the 8 core laptops let alone a 10 core one.

What is your use case for 10 cores on a laptop, or are you just trying to get by with one single machine? Heck my 4-core laptop will throttle on heavy sustained loads.

i haven't used my laptop in years, i dont even bring it with me anymore when i travel

mobiles are killing the laptop industry

I'm fairly certain they have eight-core parts, don't see why they can't do ten-core parts.

It's not like 25% more cores will be a problem, unless you want them all to run at a high speed and be in the room at the same time ;)

What is your use case for 10 cores on a laptop, or are you just trying to get by with one single machine?
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I don't really need or want multiple systems anymore, so I want as much power as I can get in the laptop form-factor.
I'm fairly certain they have eight-core parts, don't see why they can't do ten-core parts.

It's not like 25% more cores will be a problem, unless you want them all to run at a high speed and be in the room at the same time ;)
Yeah, the limitations on multi-core sustained speeds and the overall heat output of 14 nm are downers for sure, but I can deal with them.

I saw no reason why they couldn't just stuff 2 more in there, but it's the leaked TDP of the 10-core desktop Comet Lake that concerns me. The 8-core monster i9 doesn't have a higher TDP than the 6-core i7s (talking about the 9th gen consumer desktop line, I can never remember the model numbers). So I can see how they stuffed its mobile variant in the same TDP as the 6-core mobile variants (45W). But the desktop 10-core is supposed to be 125W instead of the 8-core and 6-core's 95W. That's where my confusion come in. Does that higher TDP mean that they won't be able to get a mobile variant?

Matrix Morpheus 19112019202221.jpg

So I can see how they stuffed its mobile variant in the same TDP as the 6-core mobile variants (45W). But the desktop 10-core is supposed to be 125W instead of the 8-core and 6-core's 95W. That's where my confusion come in. Does that higher TDP mean that they won't be able to get a mobile variant?

Think of TDP less of 'this is what this CPU will draw under load', and more of the thermal class that the CPU is placed in by Intel.

Intel could put an 18-core CPU into a laptop today. It'd run at maybe 1.2GHz all-core, but it could certainly run, and it could boost to say 4.5GHz single-core for short periods of time.

Of course, that would require a different socket while a ten-core CPU would physically and electrically just drop in with Z390 where their current eight-core CPUs currently ship.

Essentially, you'd get your two additional cores, but you'd sacrifice all-core boost speeds and duration to do it. Given the thermal limits of mobile platforms there may not actually be a performance advantage, i.e., and eight-core CPU which can run all cores a little faster might turn out the same overall performance while also being faster in thread-limited workloads.

Back