Will i5 3570k Oc'd to 4.5 bottleneck an RTX 2060 @ 1080p 144hz?

Gnortiz

n00b
Long time lurker occasional poster.

I am planning to upgrade my son's GPU to an RTX 2060. We mostly play modern FPS titles, his favorite being Apex Legends at the moment. I will also be getting him a new monitor as well so a CPU upgrade will have to wait. Will a i5 3570k overclocked to 4.5 bottleneck an RTX 2060 specifically for Shooters? I am assuming most shooters are lighter on the CPU and mostly GPU dependent. CPU has been stable at that for years and is on water custom loop.

Thanks for any input

It could work, but certainly have an impact on the 1% and .01% lows. The days of 4C/4T CPUs being adequate for high performance are gone.

My educated guess is: “a little bit”

I would assume that 4c/4t ivy bridge is going to get in the way on anything with a lot of players on field, but nothing too drastic.

If it were a 2070 Super or higher there'd be a bigger bottleneck, but with a 2060, it'll probably be okay as long as he is just running the game. If he has a bunch of Chrome Tabs open, iTunes running, or streaming on twitch, definitely going to have some performance issues.

If he's playing Fortnite, which could run on a toaster, you'll probably see some bottlenecking on max frames.

Yes you would get a better framerate with a more powerful cpu. Should still be playable though depending on the game. I have a 3570k with a vega 56, the lows on Far Cry 5 are pretty bad, thats the only modern shooter I've played though.

Back