Will I need SLI? (GTX 670)

DJ Big T

[H]ard|Gawd
Will I need SLI 670s for 5760x1080? (3 x 1920 x 1080 monitors) ? Looking to run all games maxed settings, etc.

Thanks.

That depends.. are you looking to play with NV surround and have the game played on all 3 monitors or just on one while the others display the desktop?

If you want to play at 5760X1080 @ max settings then the answer is yes, you will want to SLI.

That depends.. are you looking to play with NV surround and have the game played on all 3 monitors or just on one while the others display the desktop?

If you want to play at 5760X1080 @ max settings then the answer is yes, you will want to SLI.

NV surround, yes. Ok will NV surround work with just 2 monitors? With one 670 what is the max settings I can do, like high but not max settings? Maybe turn down the AA or something?

Im not sure, Ive not tried it, but if it did work, I would advise against it... the center of your game would be abscured by the monitor bezel.

Im not sure, Ive not tried it, but if it did work, I would advise against it... the center of your game would be abscured by the monitor bezel.

Okay so I'll get all three screens and just see what settings I can get with one 670 and then buy the second right after. Thanks.

If you want max settings then yes you will need SLI. I only get about 30fps with a GTX 680 in the Witcher 2 EE with 3x1080p monitors.

NV surround, yes. Ok will NV surround work with just 2 monitors? With one 670 what is the max settings I can do, like high but not max settings? Maybe turn down the AA or something?

Surround with just two monitors is not cool, cos the bezel will be right in the middle of your view especially if you are playing a first person shooter or racing game.

You are also going to want more than 2GB of vram (speaking from my experience at 6048x1080 on 2GB cards).

I've never understood why NVidia only puts the bare minimum on their reference cards when it comes to VRam. Higher than 1080p displays are becoming the norm so they should be addressing that with the right amount of VRAM right out of the box. Perhaps they have some agreement with the distributers for these cards which allows them to offer the 2x VRAM that reference has, but its really annoying to those of us who wait patiently for a new generation cards KNOWING that we are getting kinda screwed on the ram allocation. Fortunately for me I only game on one 24" Monitor @ 1080p so its not a big deal.

Yea you will want SLI. SLI is great at that res though. See my little review of GTX 670 FTW single card, sli, and tri-sli at 5760x1080 here.

You will also want the 4GB cards if you are looking to truly max everything out.

You are also going to want more than 2GB of vram (speaking from my experience at 6048x1080 on 2GB cards).

I already spent $400. Not sure I want to go through the process of selling my card again, spending $100 more, then waiting to buy another card. I'm going to get the three monitors then SLI the 670s and call it a day. Then, when it comes time to upgrade, sell both cards and go for a single card solution, that, hopefully, by then will be better.

Yes 2GB of RAM sucks, wish they had put 3GB on these cards.

Personal experience here.

I bought 2 Gigabyte 670s and play at both 1920x and 5760x.

At 1920x I can play (almost) everything maxed out.Been playing a lot of Arma 2 and the game goes between 35 FPS and 100 FPS. Game is rough on any system, but looks great. (Also have i7 930 running at 3.8ghz, 6GB DDR3 1603mhz ram, SSD Sata3)

At 5760x I can play everything on medium to high settings. Seems that max settings will work with most games, but it can be sluggish at certain points.

IF you truly want to play at 5760x, you need nothing less than 2x 670s. Test it and you'll see what I mean. (Make sure you have space between cards if you happen to have the gigabyte 670 windforce. I had mine stacked and they were hitting 100c. I bought a new MOBO here and separated them and now get 75c max. 34c idle.

Just my experience.

Yea you will want SLI. SLI is great at that res though. See my little review of GTX 670 FTW single card, sli, and tri-sli at 5760x1080 here.

You will also want the 4GB cards if you are looking to truly max everything out.

That's a sweet rig you've got there, I'd like to offer you some advice: get that pc off of the carpet. Buy a small coffee table/nightstand/something and put it on top of that so that it's elevated a foot or two from the floor to reduce the amount of dust getting into it.

Back