Will I have probs installing/playing games if I don't have internet?

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Hay, I was reading another post and I just realized something. I'm building another computer on the other side of this room and it isn't going to have internet. Just this computer will.

I was just wondering how this will affect me installing and playing games. I know I won't be able to play online but I can still enjoy the single player part.

almost every modern game requires an internet connection at least during the install process. why would you build a pc that has no way of connecting to the internet in the first place?

What's the reason for not having internet?

To install a steam game (even from backup) - you have to login to Steam at the very least. A lot of physical copies also require internet access for verification.

I'm sort of in the same boat.

Isn't there a way for Steam to download the games (say my laptop), then do the "backup" DVDs/images and then install them on my desktop (the no internet connection)?

Reason is I use 3G for my internet, since my apartment sucks ass and doesn't have internet faster than my data plan (1.3 Mb/s average). Very sad, I know.

I just want to play some single player games though on my computer, having the ability to download updates/the source on a different computer (laptop on campus / friend's house). I can tether when the game needs to be activated though, but no means of downloading anything.

Same thing here. I live in the deep country and i have bout 3 options..........wireless(which sucks because i cant even get good cell service so i let verizon wireless go) dial-up, and satellite, which i have now at $90 a month. Not worth it at all. Its sooooooooo bad out here!!! :(

I can't have internet because our router is already filled up and my dads company set this one up and I got no idea what the hell they did to it cuz its passworded. I figured it out one time. I dun remember.

I'd have to run a cable from the office, up thru the attic and down several several feet to the end of the house to the attic stairs where my computer will be set up right on the other side.

I stopped playing games when my computer couldn't handle them on high quality anymore and I got into podcasts and anime and my guitar and tv. Now I'm building another computer and just realized that I can't just insert a DVD I buy at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or off the internet and start installing and play.

Isn't there any way around this? This is BS. The only other option I see is to download cracks. Do I really gotta start doing that to enjoy the games I buy legit?

Now I know cracks and such are kinda bad and all and [H] doesn't like ppl to talk about them a lot, but I don't see a problem with ppl using them if they paid their dues. There's a difference between downloading a game for free while using cracks to play and paying for a game while using cracks to play. But that's just me. Either way, I can't do multi player which I don't mind anyways. At least not until I catch up with all my back log of games I gotta play.

Any suggestions.

Last edited:
Wait, you live in the attic?

Is a wireless router out of the question?
No no, the thing ALL the cables connect to (cable for tv and internet) all go to this one other box in the attic which I guess connects to the cable company somehow. :confused: The way this computer is connected is it goes from my computer, snakes its way up to the attic (so there's no cables laying on the floor from my room to the office), and goes in a hole on the floor in the attic to the office router, which is connected to the wall, which is connected to the cable box thing in the attic like all other cable wall things.

I can't do wireless cuz no money will be left and no room will be left in the computer for a wireless to even be installed.

Buy a cheap 5-port switch, connect that to the cable you have that's already connected to the router, and connect both PCs to the switch. Problem solved.

Buy a cheap 5-port switch, connect that to the cable you have that's already connected to the router, and connect both PCs to the switch. Problem solved.

+1, this really costs next to nothing, and doable from whatever end of the connection you want. just make sure you buy a switch only, not a router or some type of combo, otherwise you will run into double nat complications. this will be completely transparent and work exactly the same as it did before, just with more free ports. home devices come with only 4-5, but the hardware can handle hundreds of connections.

I stopped playing games when my computer couldn't handle them on high quality anymore and I got into podcasts and anime and my guitar and tv. Now I'm building another computer and just realized that I can't just insert a DVD I buy at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or off the internet and start installing and play.

Isn't there any way around this? This is BS. The only other option I see is to download cracks. Do I really gotta start doing that to enjoy the games I buy legit?

Now I know cracks and such are kinda bad and all and [H] doesn't like ppl to talk about them a lot, but I don't see a problem with ppl using them if they paid their dues. There's a difference between downloading a game for free while using cracks to play and paying for a game while using cracks to play. But that's just me. Either way, I can't do multi player which I don't mind anyways. At least not until I catch up with all my back log of games I gotta play.

Any suggestions.

Welcome back to the royal screwing known as PC gaming. This is where consoles can play LAN games and PC gamers don't even have the option. Where consoles can play everything without access to the internet but PC's must be connected the entire time.

Behold, the destuction of PC gaming is at hand. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth...blah, blah, you get the idea.

I'm not a huge fan either of game having to connect to some server online each time we wants to play, but its a good idea to have an internet connection at that computer, as Zero have suggested above.

It allows you to update your windows and drivers too

Back