Will I ever find a monitor that fits my needs (and wont break the bank)

Mikerocks2112

Limp Gawd
So for awhile I was set on the Benq V2400 and FP. 10e gave me some nice feedback on both of the monitors (thanks man!). I was about to order the FP when I started reading that 1900 res on a 24" makes it a little harder to read text. I already have my default font and icons big on this 20" monitor 1680 res...I'm sure it would be even more eye strain @ the 1900 res. So I decided on the new DS 26 inch coming out. Well since I also will be using this monitor for xbox360 gaming, I need something with HDMI. DS ended up removing that input though :( . Also, the price on this monitor is a little more than what I want to pay.

I then came across the Hannspree 28" model. It has raving reviews on newegg....but not so stellar reviews here. It has everything I need. Only thing keeping me from buying it is the TN viewing angles since I will be watching DVDs occasionally. So I'm leaning towards the Hannspree until I found the Samsung 260HD. I like the added feature of being able to watch HDTV channels...but then again its TN. Ahh what should I do? Is there any 26 inch PVA/IPS models out there that would fit my needs?

I have a TN, and make significant use of it for DVD watching (largest display in the house).

You won't like that. Nothing to do with the viewing angles (recent TNs really aren't that bad for it), but the black/grey color reproduction is...bad. Watching something like 'Two Towers' or many SciFi movies (set in 'black' space), it's...rather painful.

I had an S-IPS once, 3" smaller than my current monitor (22" vs 19"), and I honestly think I preferred that monitor. Color reproduction was just SOOOOO much better, even if it did have more noticeable response time latency.

Weirdly enough, the 1920x1200 resolution is "bigger" than a 20" at 1680x1050. The actual dot pitch/size of dots is .270mm vs. .258 of a 20" @ 1680x1050. The worst is a 30" @ .250.

I sit further back from my 24" than I do from my 20".Generally the rule is that IPS and TN have better text than MVA/PVA, so if that's important you might want to stick with IPS or TN.

But as DDeridex has said, TNs can lose black depth, even if their black level is good (where dark colors mix into black) and get "black crush". So can MVA/PVAs

I hate dictating with links but here is the dot pitch wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

A newer monitor has appeared that looks to be great for your needs > HP LP2475W. It hasn't been 100% established that it works perfectly, but I think it will.

Check out this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326971

So for awhile I was set on the Benq V2400 and FP. 10e gave me some nice feedback on both of the monitors (thanks man!). I was about to order the FP when I started reading that 1900 res on a 24" makes it a little harder to read text. I already have my default font and icons big on this 20" monitor 1680 res...I'm sure it would be even more eye strain @ the 1900 res. So I decided on the new DS 26 inch coming out. Well since I also will be using this monitor for xbox360 gaming, I need something with HDMI. DS ended up removing that input though :( . Also, the price on this monitor is a little more than what I want to pay.

I then came across the Hannspree 28" model. It has raving reviews on newegg....but not so stellar reviews here. It has everything I need. Only thing keeping me from buying it is the TN viewing angles since I will be watching DVDs occasionally. So I'm leaning towards the Hannspree until I found the Samsung 260HD. I like the added feature of being able to watch HDTV channels...but then again its TN. Ahh what should I do? Is there any 26 inch PVA/IPS models out there that would fit my needs?

Viewing angle issues are totally blown out of proportion. Why would you even look at a screen at more than a 45 degree horizonal offset?

I've watched a few DVDs on my V2400W and I haven't had any vertical viewing angle issues either. I like to lean back in my PC chair, while I'm watching, so I generally don't have a direct view. It looks FINE. Unless you're standing directly above the screen and trying to look down on it, you shouldn't have a problem.

I know there are some TNs where the slighest offset from exact centre becomes completely unwatchable, but the V2400W is pretty good in that regard. Reading text is somewhat difficult due to the tiny pixels on a 24inch monitor, but the zoom feature in every browser, text viewer/editor, and desktop GUI remedy the situation.

Back