Will I be happy with a Benq G2400WD coming from an NEC 20WMGX2?

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
hello all,

I would really like to make the upgrade to 1920 x 1200 from my current 20" 1680 x 1050 setup. I have a 20WMGX2 that I love but would like to go bigger.

I am looking at the Benq G2400WD because of its great reviews and feedback. Also, I can get this monitor at NCIX with the optional zero dead pixel service policy. I went through so much trouble getting a 20WMGX2 without any dead pixels, and took a big hit on the series of monitors that I kept returning.

I know the G2400WD is a TN panel, and I do not care about bad viewing angles, because I am always directly in front of the screen. Price is not really an issue, I just do not want ANY dead pixels (minor bleeding is OK). Some my recommend the HP LP2475W, but I do not see any retailers that would allow me to easily return the monitor if there are defects.

Therefore, will I be happy with the Benq after so many years with the 20WMGX2?

Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

I just ordered a G2400WD from NCIXUS not 5 minutes ago!

My original monitor here is a 19" viewsonic MVA. I got a Sammy T220 for xmas. Great monitor, but annoying backlight bleed. I was going to keep it but I saw the G2400WD just went on sale for 280 again and nc, so I jumped on it and will return the T220 tomorrow.

The T220 is hands down nicer looking than my 19" MVA; better blacks, brighter, sharper, nicer color, much faster response time.
But that is to be expected of the (IMO) best 22" TN. The benq probably will not look as great as the T220, but it's worth it to me for stepping up to 1920x1200 gaming for 30 bucks more. And the G2400WD is generally considered the best 24" TN for colors and input lag, and is also said to have good brightness and blacks, so it should not be that much worse.

Comparing the T220 and the G2400WD on digitalversus, color grays and brightness/contrast are all very close. The T240 is actually worse than both.

Oh BTW if you get one from that NCIXUS place, for 15 extra bucks you can get the 30 day zero dead pixel return policy, so if any are dead they cross ship you another.

I went for it, im super anal about my displays.

Oh BTW if you get one from that NCIXUS place, for 15 extra bucks you can get the 30 day zero dead pixel return policy, so if any are dead they cross ship you another.

I went for it, im super anal about my displays.

Yup, me too. I went through 5 20WMGX2's before I finally ended up with one without a dead pixel and backlight bleeding. Yes, I ate the cost for the re-stocking fees and return shipping.

To finally get the panel I wanted, I found out that Sams Club was selling the monitor via their website (three years ago). Of course Sams Club has a great return policy. I ordered 3, opened each one and picked the one the no blemishes. Yes, I was anal, that is why I'd hate to go through the process again.

How about from a 20wmgx2 to a HP LP2475w?

That monitor is at the top of my list. However, it's too bad it is not availible at any retailers with a good return policy. Actually, I think it is at Amazon, and they seem to have a decent policy.

Not even NEC could build a 24" upgrade to the 20wmgx2.

The HP LP2475w is a bigger H-IPS with a cartoon gamut, but not a 24wmgx2.

The new Apple 24 might be the nearest contender. Except for the lack of inputs, goofball DP connector and no remote.

NEC 2490UXI would be a match in PQ, but it's very expensive, matte and not as fast as the 20WMGX2.

20WMGX2. There is no substitute.

The BenQ is great for a 24" TN gaming and surfing monitor. Lower your expectations, get the BenQ and keep your 20WMGX2 (or sell it to me cheap as mine is dying)

Wether or not you'll be happy is up to you. But going from a NEC 20WMGX2 to a BenQ G2400WD is not what I would call an upgrade. It's bigger but that's about it.

It's amazing that 3 years later the 20WMGX2 still ranks up there with the best gaming monitors of today.

NEC has refurbs. I don't know if they sell them though.

I just had to send my original in for repairs and they sent a new/refurb.

I wish I would gotten two when I had the chance.

I would say a big fat NO, to the origianl question.

I have been looking for an "upgrade" to my 20WMGX2 for about a year, and I will rececntly be trying out the HP 2475W.

I did try a Panasonic 32LZ800 1080p HDTV for $680, and I can say the image clarity was almost on par with the NEC (it is an AS-IPS panel w/glossy coating as well), and I would have kept it if it would have worked right with my GTX260. But over DVI-HDMI, it would keep giving me no signal after it had been off for a while, but only after windows booted and switched to the 1080p signal. The 32LZ800 does have some oversaturated red, and mine had a problem displaying bright blue text on a black background.

I would say if you want something bigger for games and can get it to shake hands with your video card, the Panasonic is the way to go.

I think some people underestimate some of teh TNs, there are a few that have almost indistinguishable image quality from the other panels.
I had my Samsung T220 next to my old 19" viewsonic MVA (still a gorgeous monitor), and the T220 looked great next to it. Deep blacks, bright, great color. I could not believe it was only 6bit dithering next to true 8 bit but hey.
Yet my friends other samsung (2253bw I think) and the acer I returned first looked like trash compared to my 19 and the T220.
Panel & build quality can make all the difference.

If you need big viewing angles then you cant use TN, otherwise shop around before you take a giant jump in price you might not need; IMO. This is a recession after all, save some $

Indistinguishable? Hardly. Have you seen them next to an IPS? If all you do is browse the web that may be true.

Back