will i be able to use an 8800 with my current set-up?

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
will i be able to install an 8800 in the rig listed in my sig?

I guess you would be fine with the 8800GTS. I wouldnt get the 8800GTX considering you are a 19inch it would be mostly wasted.

Even if it justs works, it is always really bad for system stabilty.
600w power supplies (from good manufacturers) are getting cheaper, as the high end has been replaced by 1kw, so 600w is now midrange, go forth and spend!
f

I disagree completely. An X4200+ processor is very power frugal, and he doesn't have any other big drains. There's no way an Antec 430 W wouldn't be enough.

How bout me? Can I run it, and would it fit??

BTW, I'm probably gonna get a new mobo when it comes out.

I got an Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT 500W ATX12V V2.2 PSU, will i be able to run a 8800GT? I should hope so its a fairly new PSU. Also i have a Antec Solo case (Same as the PC150), would it even fit? I mean this thing sounds long, i have a 7900GT in there now.

what about me guys? will i honestly be ok with an 8800GTX?

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI ATX12V 510W
Asus M2N32-SLI
AMD X2 4600+
Zalman 9500 AM2
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800
Western Digital 150GB Raptor
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Viewsonic 2025wm

silenteye said:
How bout me? Can I run it, and would it fit??

BTW, I'm probably gonna get a new mobo when it comes out.

yea i think ull be ok.

Guys, the recommended PSU wattage is 450. When they make those recommendations, they're assuming a Prescott and a crappy 450 W unit. If you have more than 450, you don't even need to ask, and shouldn't consider upgrading your PSU for one second unless you plan to SLI. Even then, get the PSU at the same time as the second card when it will be cheaper and actually needed.

Personally, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash about using an 8800 GTX with a 350 W if it were a quality name brand unit.

Flak Pyro said:
Bah im more worried about the thing fitting in my antec solo case. (Black P150)
yeah me too...antec p160w watercooled. ill probably have to reconfigure it or something...

3302344f8f7fb3e5e4.jpg

i have more room then that since i dont have the water cooling but if you need 1.5 inches past a full ATX mobo thats nuts!

jcll2002 said:
yeah me too...antec p160w watercooled. ill probably have to reconfigure it or something...

3302344f8f7fb3e5e4.jpg
so do you guys think iwill be able to make it? 1.5" past the mobo? wtf?

With that motherboard I think you might run into two problems, one the northbridge set up, a hot card's HS hovering over that puppy might cause problems, also your current pump location looks like it would be too close, hard to tell if the hose is parrallel with the card or not, if it is I'd say you are screwed and have to move it

but the good thing is, you wouldn't have to worry about the 6pin power cord, that might actually work out for you, if you can barely squeeze the card in then you wouldn't have to worry about pinching cables to get them to fit

you think i could move my pump into the hd cage and have the output facing the left...not up?

With the dual PCI-E connectors on the GTX, i would say no. However the GTS, you might be able to get away with it. I believe tha the 8800 are a smaller process so it might consume less power than an X1950XTX or 7950GX2.

Endurancevm said:
With the dual PCI-E connectors on the GTX, i would say no. However the GTS, you might be able to get away with it. I believe tha the 8800 are a smaller process so it might consume less power than an X1950XTX or 7950GX2.

its 90nm and they use alot more then current cards

you think i could move my pump into the hd cage and have the output facing the left...not up?

experiment with it first, some pumps when i face them weird directions they like to make funky noises, so I would double check to see if the pump would like that direction first, but I would think it would work

Endurancevm said:

I don't think so. If the rumors about G80 are true, it has double the transistor count of the current 7900GTX. Also, if you'll notice that it has dual 6 pin power connectors on it. Supplemented by the 75watts of the motherboard, a single G80 could easily pull 300watts. In theory and according to rumor it does, but I would suspect the actual requirements around closer to 200watts than they are to 300watts.

Also the rumored power supply requirement is 450 watts for a single 8800GTX. That means that all you guys with good quality 400watt + PSU's are in good shape, as long as you don't have too many other components, and anyone with more than that is going to be fine. If the requirement is indeed 450 watts, given that nVidia propably estimated the power requirements conservatively given the fact that most people use junk power supplies, it is likely that the requirements are much closer to 200watts than 300watts.

According to rumor, a couple of 8800GTX's in SLi requires an 800watt PSU, Again, the reason above applies. This is no doubt a conservative estimate. If the load is light enough, I am sure that my Silencer 750 will do the job nicely.

I've seen Kyle's machine and his 600watt Seasonic supplies adequate power for a highly overclocked system, and a myriad of hard drives. I don't recall what he's using for video cards right now though. My point in saying that is power requirements on forums are always exaggerated.

One final thing to remember is that the card isn't out yet. Therefore what we know is all conjecture and speculation. No one that isn't under NDA actually knows what the hell G80 will actually require. Therefore, no one at this time can actually answer the original poster's question.

Endurancevm said:

the G80 doesnt have any revisions to the manufacturing process yet. both the GTS and the GTX have the same transistor count and die size, however the GTS has parts of its GPU disabled, specifically the 64bit difference in memory bandwidth and 32 less unified (rumor) shaders.

this is also why the card is shorter and only requires one PEG power plug (less power to push to the GPU/memory)

brinox said:
the G80 doesnt have any revisions to the manufacturing process yet. both the GTS and the GTX have the same transistor count and die size, however the GTS has parts of its GPU disabled, specifically the 64bit difference in memory bandwidth and 32 less unified (rumor) shaders.

this is also why the card is shorter and only requires one PEG power plug (less power to push to the GPU/memory)
wonder how much slower the GTS will be than the GTX...

im going to get a GTS i think, smaller card, less power, good upgrade over my 7900GT KO, providing it will fit in my antec PC150 case haha.

Back