Will i be able to play at 1440?

dlesko

n00b
Hi guys. Im currently coming up with a system build and i want to make sure i will be able to play current games at 2560x1440 at a high level. Here is my system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FwcG
Will i be able to do it? Thanks!

Play everything at 60FPS with full settings? No. Play most games at full settings with at least mid 40s? Yeah. Most games at high with 50+ FPS, almost assuredly.

I'm doing pretty much that with a 670. After buying the 670 I stopped keeping completely up to date on the 680. But for 1440, in most cases, it will be more than enough to be playable at high levels.

Agreed with BigJay. Pretty good list you've put together, dlesko.
You certain you don't wanna go for a full tower just in case you sometime want to SLI those 680s? The extra room will help the temps, as well.

The problem is we have a built in desk where the computer will go. The cabinet it would go into is 22 inches tall. I know a scout is smaller but i would be able to sli with to wouldnt i?

Last edited:
For a while I played with one 670 on my 1440p catleap, and yes of course it'll play any game! It can't max everything out, just turn the settings down a bit and enjoy 60hz. You really need two of them to enjoy full settings for 1440p. As a side note, if you haven't already ordered the card, save some money and get a 2gb mod unless you're going to SLI and/or go tripple screen in the future.

IronDog, check out the link to the build i posted right above your post. Would that work out ok?

IronDog, check out the link to the build i posted right above your post. Would that work out ok?

At this point, it would probably be a good idea to answer the questions in the sticky. Telling you the CPU/GPU/RAM are good enough for a certain level of playability is one thing. Determining whether or not a build is "good" is another.

The 3770 and 32 gigs of 1866 RAM are questionable purchases unless you know you're going to be doing something specific (heavy use of VMs or encoding).

A gaming machine would be fine with the 3570k and 8 gigs of RAM. I apologize if you've said this somewhere else and I missed it.

Take away one of the G Skill Ripjaws. Also, do you really need Windows 7 Pro? You could save a little bit of money there.

Edit:

Oops missed the second link. Forget about the video card thing.

At this point, it would probably be a good idea to answer the questions in the sticky. Telling you the CPU/GPU/RAM are good enough for a certain level of playability is one thing. Determining whether or not a build is "good" is another.

The 3770 and 32 gigs of 1866 RAM are questionable purchases unless you know you're going to be doing something specific (heavy use of VMs or encoding).

A gaming machine would be fine with the 3570k and 8 gigs of RAM. I apologize if you've said this somewhere else and I missed it.
well 32gb is crazy but I think 16gb is just fine since ram is cheap and it can be put to use. I am glad i went with 16gb as I can keep toms of things open or in cache.

as for cpu, I think the 3770k is starting to look like a good decision over the 3570k if tight budget is not a concern.

Well of course it would work, it'll destroy any game with two 670s, and from my finding I don't even go over 2gb that often, you should be fine with regards to vram. The only questionable things in my eyes are the case and the ram. The case it just... I mean come on. You can do better. With your budget, take a look at the Switch 810, the Phantom 820, or the upcoming Corsair 900d. And moving on. Don't buy 32gb of ram. Just don't waste your money. 16gb is questionable, with 8 I can run youtube and chrome with 8 tabs open, 3 excell spreadsheets, and 2 word documents WHILE playing bf3 and I get up to 6gb of usage.

Well of course it would work, it'll destroy any game with two 670s, and from my finding I don't even go over 2gb that often, you should be fine with regards to vram. The only questionable things in my eyes are the case and the ram. The case it just... I mean come on. You can do better. With your budget, take a look at the Switch 810, the Phantom 820, or the upcoming Corsair 900d. And moving on. Don't buy 32gb of ram. Just don't waste your money. 16gb is questionable, with 8 I can run youtube and chrome with 8 tabs open, 3 excell spreadsheets, and 2 word documents WHILE playing bf3 and I get up to 6gb of usage.
8 tabs? even my mom has probably 25-30 tabs open. I just counted and I have almost 100 open. my system ram usage is sitting at 9 gb of actual ram being used with all of my other remaining 7gb being in cache. there is no point in saving 30 bucks to go with 8gb instead of 16gb at this point unless on a very strict budget. windows will make use of it and it is great for multi tasking.

IronDog, what's wrong with the Thor case? I like how it looks, cools nicely and had gotten real good reviews. Let me know.

As for the RAM. The computer i have has 4. Uses about 3.5 because of the damn Windows Vista 323bit restriction and its like swimming through molasses. With my wifes photo editing she usually has tons of windows open and with how cheap the memory is i figured why not. There is no benefit at all for having it?

Why do you need a 4gb GTX 680? It won't make any benefit at that resolution.

IronDog, what's wrong with the Thor case? I like how it looks, cools nicely and had gotten real good reviews. Let me know.

As for the RAM. The computer i have has 4. Uses about 3.5 because of the damn Windows Vista 323bit restriction and its like swimming through molasses. With my wifes photo editing she usually has tons of windows open and with how cheap the memory is i figured why not. There is no benefit at all for having it?

It is indeed a good case for the budget, but from a not so quality brand. The build quality is questionable (I've handled one myself), there isn't a side panel window, the HDD cages aren't removable, and there is just a general lack of features. I really can't recommend the cases of Corsair and NZXT enough, they're fantastic with amazing features and thought put towards the customer.

I may go back to the Cooler Master Scout 2. Itll fit in my cabinet instead of having to put it on the desk and it will fit two of the 670s in SLI.

Be careful of putting a gaming computer in any cabinet. It's not going to ventilate properly in there and you're going to have thermal problems, especially with 2 of any video cards in SLI.

Dang I see lots of wasted $$ in your configs. But if money isn't a concern, go for it.

I definitely think you could swap the CPU to a 3570k without any concern of a performance hit, unless you need HT. And you'll save a good chunk of change in the process.

Dropping to 8gb would be fine for memory, but 16gb might future proof you a little (I doubt we will need 8gb in the next 3 years).

But yeah, based on your choices, I get the impression that you're not concerned about cost. If you want higher memory video cards, I'd go with AMD. Otherwise just stick to the 2gb models to knock off more $$.

8 tabs? even my mom has probably 25-30 tabs open. I just counted and I have almost 100 open. my system ram usage is sitting at 9 gb of actual ram being used with all of my other remaining 7gb being in cache. there is no point in saving 30 bucks to go with 8gb instead of 16gb at this point unless on a very strict budget. windows will make use of it and it is great for multi tasking.

Going past 16gb of memory you'll have to consider the OS. I didn't check if an OS was selected, but Home Premium only allows 16gb. Pro and plus will get you 32gb.

EDIT:

I see that Win7 Pro was selected, so cancel that concern. But still, 32gb is a waste IMO. I only had 12gb in my last machine because it had Tri Channel memory. I dropped it to 8gb when I changed mobos that had dual channel.

Like others have said, skip the second 16GB memory kit. 16GB is going to be more than enough.

And for gaming, you're not giving up any performance by going with the 3570k over the 3770k.

Also, if you're planning to overclock that 670 SLI setup, probably want to bump the PSU up to ~850W.

I also have an enclosed desk. What I did was cut out a 120mm hole and bolt a fan in. Then wired it to my case with an extension.

I have an enclosed desk too. I put one of those circular cutting bits on a drill and put a few holes in it. I also keep the door open when the computer is running. That should be adequate right:

I have an enclosed desk too. I put one of those circular cutting bits on a drill and put a few holes in it. I also keep the door open when the computer is running. That should be adequate right:

Meh, might be. Enclosing a gaming PC is really just asking for trouble, though.

Back