Will I be able to just drop in a Ryzen 3 CPU into a new x470 motherboard

Nearsite

Gawd
About to perform a new build, with all new parts. Will I have issues with buying one of the new Ryzen CPUs and just dropping it into a new x470 board?

should be able to if you have the latest bios.

Well the mobo will be off the shelf. I'm trying to save some money by not going x570. I'm just wondering if off the shelf x470 mobo's will support the new Ryzen's coming out in two days.

Some of the brands claim support in bios updates from May. And now they are issuing new bios, which should fully support. So I wonder if you buy a recent stock, new mobo with a May bios; if it will at least boot to the bios. I dunno.

Some of the brands claim support in bios updates from May. And now they are issuing new bios, which should fully support. So I wonder if you buy a recent stock, new mobo with a May bios; if it will at least boot to the bios. I dunno.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any given motherboard will actually have a more recent BIOS on it. I may attempt to install a Ryzen 3000 series on my ASUS X470 motherboards that's on one of the earliest BIOS revisions for that model and see what happens. Sometimes newer processors will work well enough to allow a BIOS flash, but they'll be listed with a microcode string instead of a model number and you'll seem some weirdness in the UEFI. That said, this is something that normally works better on Intel systems as AMD processor based systems won't often post without a BIOS update.

First world problem I guess, but a problem nonetheless. I guess I will have to take a wait and see approach. I'm really anxious to start this build as I've been waiting since January!

About to perform a new build, with all new parts. Will I have issues with buying one of the new Ryzen CPUs and just dropping it into a new x470 board?
Most like not. Even though it's brand new, it's been sitting on the store self months with the old bios. The bios that supports the new 3000 series came out less than 2 months ago. You'll need to update the bios first before popping in the 3000 series.

Well the mobo will be off the shelf. I'm trying to save some money by not going x570. I'm just wondering if off the shelf x470 mobo's will support the new Ryzen's coming out in two days.
Depends, maybe if it is new from the manufacturer (week or two ago). Probably not if it was made a year ago and still sitting on the shelf.

The boards will only be good for the 3XXX cpu's if there is a sticker on the box saying the board supports 3XXX series cpu's. Otherwise you would need to flash the bios for the AGESA code.

Some of the newer x470 boards you dont even need a cpu to flash your bios anymore, its called usb bios flashback on Asus boards.

My advice is to buy local and ask the shop to update the BIOS for you. They should be glad to do it, especially if you are also getting a CPU and other stuff at the same time. Supporting your local shop has its advantages ;)

Back