Will excavator be on 14nm in 2015?

tybert7

2[H]4U
Any word on this? If it is, they will have finally caught up to intel on the process side (for a year at least).

Any word on this? If it is, they will have finally caught up to intel on the process side (for a year at least).

What exactly are you looking for. No one in the world caught up with Intel on the manufacturing process?

You do know that AMD is very unlikely to ever do so unless you want to make a deposit of a few billion a year into Global Foundries , yes this might be new to you but AMD sold it.

Excavator will likely be 20nm, we know AMDs next GPUs will be 20nm and as APUs need both CPU and GPU to be the same nm we can assume Excavator will be 20nm.

Unless AMD jump to 14nm GPUs.

Excavator cores will be on 20nm with high density libraries.

14nm is still a ways out for AMD, and Intel for that matter.

Isn't 14nm broadwell still expected in Q1 2014?

Edit: I see it has been pushed back to second half of 2014.

This is an issue with Intel's 14nm fabs, they are trying to find out if they can retro fix the issue or if it will be a problem to fix, best case is they have 14nm chips in 2H 2014, worst case is sometime in 2015.

"we're having trouble with 14nm" = "AMD won't be competing with us anymore? screw it, stop innovating for a few years."

TSMC will barely have volume of 20nm ramping at the beginning of 2014, something TSMC itself acknowledged 2 months ago (quick: name a product using a 20nm processor produced by any of the Common Platform Alliance members... that shows the state of their 20nm process best). The 14/16nm node is a hybrid node which doesn't scale transistor size or performance as much as a true 14nm or 16nm node would. And who knows when it will actually be available from one of AMD's partners. Samsung may be the first with a "16nm" (16nm-20nm hybrid process) processor, since it seems to have ditched plans for releasing a 20nm Exynos 6. From other foundries, the beginning of 2015 looks optimistic, but possible.

This is an issue with Intel's 14nm fabs, they are trying to find out if they can retro fix the issue or if it will be a problem to fix, best case is they have 14nm chips in 2H 2014, worst case is sometime in 2015.
Intel's 14nm is launching next quarter. As Intel's CEO explained in that link, the issue was tweaks to improve yields and those were successful. I'm not sure where you got that bad information you posted.

TSMC will barely have volume of 20nm ramping at the beginning of 2014, something TSMC itself acknowledged 2 months ago (quick: name a product using a 20nm processor produced by any of the Common Platform Alliance members... that shows the state of their 20nm process best). The 14/16nm node is a hybrid node which doesn't scale transistor size or performance as much as a true 14nm or 16nm node would. And who knows when it will actually be available from one of AMD's partners. Samsung may be the first with a "16nm" (16nm-20nm hybrid process) processor, since it seems to have ditched plans for releasing a 20nm Exynos 6. From other foundries, the beginning of 2015 looks optimistic, but possible.

Intel's 14nm is launching next quarter. As Intel's CEO explained in that link, the issue was tweaks to improve yields and those were successful. I'm not sure where you got that bad information you posted.

Intel is not important :). I'm sure that they are coming with 14nm, when is trivial since it has 0 impact on AMD.

For AMD the nanometer story has little impact. The process and yields are another story. Last time with Bulldozer(the transition to a lower nm) it was a disaster. So what is important for AMD 20nm/16nm or better yields and a stable product ?

Intel is not important :). I'm sure that they are coming with 14nm, when is trivial since it has 0 impact on AMD.

For AMD the nanometer story has little impact. The process and yields are another story. Last time with Bulldozer(the transition to a lower nm) it was a disaster. So what is important for AMD 20nm/16nm or better yields and a stable product ?

Why is why the Xbox one and Ps4 chips are designed the way they are, to improve yields as much as possible.

I'm surprised AMD isn't coming to intel's rent-a-fab program.

It would be a waste of money, since Intel will NOT LET ANYONE use their cutting edge process, especially AMD..The last thing Intel wants is another Athlon64 situation on their hands..

Even using the 22 fabs would bring AMD a few years further into process tech.

AMD is going to 20nm next for their big cores, not 22nm. When exactly that will happen, who knows... I doubt it will be with Carrizo, though. Unless GloFo somehow doesn't screw up again.

Steamroller is 28nm and uses the old GPU fabs, new GPUs and Excavator are made at 20nm.

The 14/16nm node is a hybrid node which doesn't scale transistor size or performance as much as a true 14nm or 16nm node would.

tsmc14/16 is their first finfet process. it has significantly different DRC and mask requirements than 20 - calling it a hybrid or shrink isn't accurate.

Steamroller is 28nm and uses the old GPU fabs, new GPUs and Excavator are made at 20nm.

Kaveri is done by GloFo. This was kinda revealed by the chip shot of a Kaveri ES/PS.

Back