Will Epyc work in a TR4 motherboard?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
As I understand it, Threadripper is a cut-down Epyc CPU. So will an Epyc CPU work in a socket TR4 motherboard?

It would need bios/microcode support. Probably not.

But we wont know for sure until someone tries it.

Last edited:
It would need bios/microcode support. Probably not.

But we wont know for sure until someone tries it.

Maybe i'm misinformed from the web but i thought AMD was using 2 slightly different sockets for Threadripper (socket TR4) and Epyc (socket SP3)?

Last edited:
Maybe i'm misinformed from the web but i thought AMD was using 2 slightly different sockets for Threadripper (socket TR4) and Epyc (socket SP3)?

Now you have me confused. Guess were all gonna have to google around. I dont know if there is any diff?

one has quad channel DDR4 the other has 8 channel DDR4, should of been obvious enough.

Probably a better chance TR would work on an Epyc board though I would not try it. I would watch it on YouTube though!

Hopefully there is some keying to prevent either way from happening or perhaps some clever wiring that keeps the CPU powered off if its in the wrong socket.

Not likely. Epyc is full SOC - boards do not have chipset at all and Threadripper still need some "bride" (south?)

Not likely. Epyc is full SOC - boards do not have chipset at all and Threadripper still need some "bride" (south?)

Its literally the same die. There are many ways the SOC functionality could be disabled - everything from laser cutting the die to a simple bit in the firmware. The less drastic measures could be bypassed with a suitable board. I think people ran dual socket Celerons back in the day so not completely unheard of.

It will NOT work. This is not a guess. This is a fact! I will not google for you!

Its literally the same die. There are many ways the SOC functionality could be disabled - everything from laser cutting the die to a simple bit in the firmware. The less drastic measures could be bypassed with a suitable board. I think people ran dual socket Celerons back in the day so not completely unheard of.
The old BP-6 from A-bit. Had one, killed it trying to mod it for P3s. Ah the creamy smoothness of SMP back in the day.. Now a days might as well get the board you need for the platform. i doubt we will see any jury-rigged trans-platform boards. Stranger things have happened.

The sockets are not compatible, though they are physically similar.

I can bet you, SP3 and TR4 are physically same socket, but they are different at electrical level.

So tell me, why that Celerons didn't work on Slot A motherboard? It was exactly same slot...

I can bet you, SP3 and TR4 are physically same socket, but they are different at electrical level.

So tell me, why that Celerons didn't work on Slot A motherboard? It was exactly same slot...

An Intel proc on an AMD board? No one would expect that unless it was advertised as an Intel compatible chipset.

TR and Epyc, on the other hand, are the same processor and could work in the same boards if AMD wanted them to (like Intel made dual channel Kaby Lake work on a quad channel X299 board) and/or clever enough modders get involved. Not guaranteed to happen but certainly not impossible until we know enough to rule it out. Really someone would have to compare the pinouts of SP3 vs TR4 very closely

The old BP-6 from A-bit. Had one, killed it trying to mod it for P3s. Ah the creamy smoothness of SMP back in the day.. Now a days might as well get the board you need for the platform. i doubt we will see any jury-rigged trans-platform boards. Stranger things have happened.

There was nothing creamy smooth about the BP6. I wanted it to be so much more than it was.

There were no W2K drivers for my Creative sound card. No USB support in Windows NT. No SMP support in Windows 98. Unstable with dual CPUs overclocked.

Having said all that, I still loved it. *Tear

Back