Will DDR3 2133 run @ full speed in an AM3 Mobo?

teletran8

2[H]4U
IS there a limit to AM3 mobos like 1333 or 1600 speed even if you buy 2133 DDR3?

I wouldn't buy 2133 for AM3. I did however buy 1600 and it ran perfectly!

I had a G Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb set [email protected] that was perfectly stable, and continued perfectly stable even at [email protected]. Great kit with no stability issues at all, even with a CPU overclock and 2x6950s OC'd.

Most C2 revision cpu can use 1333 but alot of them cannot use 1600 or higher speed, thier IMC(memory controller) is not designed for anything above 1333, some can, some cannot.

Myself, am using a C3 revision chip, which apprently the IMC was one of the things tweaked on it, to allow it to use the higher speed memory.

In my case on a 955BE C3 and M5A99X EVO board(AM3+ the chip is the one that controls the memory not the board) 1066/1333/1600 works flawlessly, however the 1866+ doesnt seem to like to stay stable.

Also, you have a much better chance of using the higher memory speed if the cpu is running faster, which allows the IMC the ability to use higher speeds in this case called cpu/nb

The only chips that are apprently quite capable of using say 1866+ rated speeds are some Phenom II x6 as well as the A series, as well as all the FX chips which can easily use 1866+ though they do not seem to get as much boost out of these speeds.

Generally speaking in MOST things, with current AMD chips besides the FX and A series, ddr3 1600 at 9,9,9,24 or faster timings example 8,8,8,22 or 7,7,7,21 is the best bet.

So, to say the least, generally speaking, you are not going to see the true benefit of this high of memory speed with anything but the newest AMD chps, and even then, benchmarks and such show them not gaining much overall by using it, it just doesnt translate into real world benefits(well unless you are doing some serious work like encoding/encrypting then it can help some, but the cost difference is also huge)

my kit runs 9,9,9,24,32 1.5v is the gskill ripjawX GBXL 1866kit, wicked overclocking up/down, though the best but $ are the Gskill Flare sets.

In my case on a 955BE C3 and M5A99X EVO board(AM3+ the chip is the one that controls the memory not the board) 1066/1333/1600 works flawlessly, however the 1866+ doesnt seem to like to stay stable.

So the memory you purchased is rated for/@ 1866 and you can only get 1600mhz from it in your AMD mobo no matter what you try in the bios? Yes or No?

in my case, yes for the moment, I have tried putting it to 1866 and was not stable, though I have not put it back there for the moment as I overclock and am trying to find the highest clock I can get cpu side first.

The memory limitation seems to be focused around the core clock. If you are at stock clocks on the cpu then 1600 seems to be the limit, overclocked, well that seems to depend on the cpu more then anything else, the IMC can only go +/- so much. I have read others not having any issues using thier memory 1866 or even at ddr3 2000 speeds, so I do not know.

Offically, ddr3 1066 is a default, 1333 is thie highest step, 1600 supported through overclocking, 1866+ is luck :p well this is according to AMD AM3 chips which are the Athlon II and Phenom II chips. AM3+ being FX and A series chips thier limitation seems to be well above the 2000 mark.

in my case, yes for the moment, I have tried putting it to 1866 and was not stable, though I have not put it back there for the moment as I overclock and am trying to find the highest clock I can get cpu side first.

The memory limitation seems to be focused around the core clock. If you are at stock clocks on the cpu then 1600 seems to be the limit, overclocked, well that seems to depend on the cpu more then anything else, the IMC can only go +/- so much. I have read others not having any issues using thier memory 1866 or even at ddr3 2000 speeds, so I do not know.

Offically, ddr3 1066 is a default, 1333 is thie highest step, 1600 supported through overclocking, 1866+ is luck :p well this is according to AMD AM3 chips which are the Athlon II and Phenom II chips. AM3+ being FX and A series chips thier limitation seems to be well above the 2000 mark.

Thx for the response. I'm upgrading to 8GB and there's 2 kits that interest me.

1st is a standard 8GB kit 2x4GB Muskin SIlverline DDR3 1333 for 39.99

2nd is the more high end 8GB kit 2x4GB Muskin Red Line DDR3 2133 for 74.99

Only 35 dollars separates the two. At my current OC on my CPU (sig) in the bios it says I can run DDR3 1000, 1333, 1666, or 2000 with my current OC of 4GHz. At the moment I'm just running 1333 because that is the speed of it. (Plus it's only stable up to 1400 or lower than spec 1333)

Yet if I get the 2133 I know I can run it at 1333 for now and it technically works up to 2133.

If I upgrade my mobo+CPU down the line I can keep the memory and it will work just fine in a SB or PD configuration, I might also get 1666 speeds with my current AM3, maybe 2000 but my gut tells me from reading around that I'd be lucky to get 1666 stable with my AM3 build....I think I'm gonna take the risky move and spend more on silly ram, that I might not see any benefit in till I upgrade my CPU...haha. I'll learn one way or the other. Thx for the input.

up to you, I am using Gskill 1866 kit at mentioned, can apprently get close to if not bridge the 2k mark.
Ths kit I am using is 1866 9,10,9,24,42 timings at 1.5v I get to run 1676 9,10,9,24,32 1.5v no problems and hae attempted to do 1900+ which is kind of stable 2000+ BSOD right away. it has a lot of range.

I personally would take a good look at what Gskil offers, before you settle on anything, they have the best customer service as well, and usually a quick email and some of your specs, and you would be surprise what they can help you with.
the kit I use GBXL, buddies GBRL, as well as GBSR, there is also the kits ending in GXM,GBTD,GBXH. Anyways, there is alot to choice from, the 1866 kits are probably the best in regards to thier stock speed/latency/cost as well as thier overclocking performance or declocking but tightening as well. the 1600 kits all around are the best choice, for like $45 or so, they are truly hard to beat.

Nice thing about cpu`s this day, when overclocking they have a ton of variability to up/down the multipliers and such for the memory, with a good high speed kit 99% of the time you will run into the HT or FSB wall before the memory runs out of speeds it can do, example, on the lowest divider/highest speed I can run my cpu at, the memory could run I think it was 2500+ for the top divider or 1500+ well beyond what the cpu can handle in regards to its IMC cpu/nb, but the ram running 1600/1866 can easily do it, the higher the cpu and IMC allows, the higher the speed of ram it can use.

1676 maybe a bit more, I can do about 1770 or so, but I havent really taken the time to find its highest speed it can use, it depends on the cpus revision, and the board as well to a certain point at least.

8gb of Gskill various models(the flares are the best possibly the new ARES model) or Corsair Vengeance 1600/1866 is more then enough, more then likely the new cpus coming out will not need the super fast memory, they will have the channels to make the difference.

Back