Will Cat 7.10 bring the performance promised?

Eastcoasthandle

[H]ard|Gawd
Summary several games will see big improvements in games like:
BF2142
COD2
COJ
Fear
Using several ATI video cards
Source

Summary:
Improvement for all games in DX10...
Source

Are follow up reviews in order just to see if what they say is true?

sans the game patch, that was released after our evaluation was completed

i have been testing ETQW with Cat 7.10 as well and am finding very high performance with the 2900 xt in that game

we will be looking at HL2 EP2, TF2 and Portal using this new driver as well coming up

sans the game patch, that was released after our evaluation was completed

i have been testing ETQW with Cat 7.10 as well and am finding very high performance with the 2900 xt in that game

we will be looking at HL2 EP2, TF2 and Portal using this new driver as well coming up
Thanks for the heads up.

i have an xt coming thursday, please release the drivers thursday :p

Its good to see these drivers will actually show improvements OTHER than the DX10 cards.

I can understand why they needed to with lackluster performance on the new cards, but its also good to remember us DX9'ers out there.

I´ll wait and see untill I got the drivers in my hands, but saying "little too late" might be accurate.

Then again with the 2950 cards on the horizont, there is still hope. Maybe with driver optimizations and the new 2950 cards AMD can finally fight back deacently.

Looks like its not much of a gain for single card, but finally crossfire shows some improvements

Updated (10/10/07): The move from the 7.9 driver to the 7.10 "Shoot-em-up" Catalyst update didn't have much of an effect on our single graphics card performance at all. In only one or two instances did we see any changes, and neither was what I would call "drastic" enough to change my opinion on the HD 2900 XT for the current generation of DX10 games. The HD 2900 XT is a solid competitor against NVIDIA's 8800 GTS 640MB, but the Catalyst 7.10 driver hasn't done anything to overtake it.

Update (10/10/07): The real magic of AMD's Catalyst 7.10 update comes when you plug in a second HD 2900 XT card -- our CrossFire experiences with this driver were WORLDS above what we had to deal with on the 7.9 driver revision. In all of our games we saw notable improvements in the scaling of CrossFire and in some cases turned a negative performance gain into a strong positive one. In Bioshock we saw a 54% gain in CrossFire performance, in Company of Heroes we saw a 73% gain and in World of Conflict a 93% gain. The other two titles, Call of Juarez and Lost Planet, which already had CrossFire scaling with the 7.9 driver, still saw improvements of 9% and 20% respectively when tested with the new Catalyst 7.10 drivers.

I find it funny they mention the huge 93% gain for WiC though as it went from 13 -> 20 fps. Makes it sound like a huge gain when it went from unplayable to semi playable.

http://pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=463

Looks like its not much of a gain for single card, but finally crossfire shows some improvements

I find it funny they mention the huge 93% gain for WiC though as it went from 13 -> 20 fps. Makes it sound like a huge gain when it went from unplayable to semi playable.

http://pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=463
-no indication of certified 7.10 used (the same drivers everyone else would use, not the betas).
-WiC results do not show the use of 001 update which indicates
- Performance on ATI DX10 cards has been improved.
- Performance on DX10 has generally been improved.

Conclusion:
Taken with a grain of salt.

-no indication of certified 7.10 used (the same drivers everyone else would use, not the betas).
-WiC results do not show the use of 001 update which indicates

Conclusion:
Taken with a grain of salt.

*shrug*

There is a performance increase, just mostly in Crossfire.. which is also what the "heads up" from AMD/ATI on the main [H] homepage says.

Back