Will Blizzard surprise us with a WoW2 anytime soon ?

So there should be a new expansion still this year :)

http://www.videogamer.com/news/blizzards_tom_chilton_on_the_future_of_wow.html
VideoGamer.com: When I interviewed you at Leipzig last year you told me that the goal is to release an expansion every calendar year. Is that still the case?

Tom Chilton: Yeah I would still say that's the case. We'd like to hit each calendar year.
BlizzCon is two weeks away so I guess we'll find out then. I have a really good feeling we're going to hear about The Maelstrom expansion.

BlizzCon is two weeks away so I guess we'll find out then. I have a really good feeling we're going to hear about The Maelstrom expansion.

I think so too, or The Emerald Dream. But realistically there won't be an expansion this year. They would need to start beta very soon to get it out by Christmas, and nothing official has even been announced yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out less than the typical two years the other two expansion took. So hopefully early 2010 it comes out ?

I think so too, or The Emerald Dream. But realistically there won't be an expansion this year. They would need to start beta very soon to get it out by Christmas, and nothing official has even been announced yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out less than the typical two years the other two expansion took. So hopefully early 2010 it comes out ?
Tom Chilton said they would like to release a expansion every calendar year but I have a hard time believing that they'll release a new expansion this year. But Blizzard can do some shocking things like announce their faction transfer service. :p

Tom Chilton said they would like to release a expansion every calendar year but I have a hard time believing that they'll release a new expansion this year. But Blizzard can do some shocking things like announce their faction transfer service. :p

What would be really cool is a paid character faction transfer, but make a copy of your character and keep both. I would love to have my Level 78 Blood Elf Paladin go Alliance, but I don't want to lose him either. Would be cool to have a copy made ?

What would be really cool is a paid character faction transfer, but make a copy of your character and keep both. I would love to have my Level 78 Blood Elf Paladin go Alliance, but I don't want to lose him either. Would be cool to have a copy made ?
It's certainly not out of the realm of being possible ever since they removed the PvP restriction for creating characters in that you can have both Alliance and Horde on any server. But I don't think they would ever consider this because if my character has 10k gold on it, thousands of resources, and other transferable items, then I can "clone" my character to the opposing faction then use a neutral auction house to transfer the items to the other character. Now instead of 10k gold, I'll now have 20k gold and double everything I had before.

Yes you would still have to pay for it but I just don't see it ever happening.

What will be interesting about the faction transfer service is how they're going to do reputation, mounts, tabards, and other items like those.

What will be interesting about the faction transfer service is how they're going to do reputation, mounts, tabards, and other items like those.

I have swift flying mount the lion looking Horde mount, so if going to transfer to Alliance do I then get the big eagle epic mount ?

I would guess they have to switch every item and mount to the equal of the opposite faction thats the only way to work

I have swift flying mount the lion looking Horde mount, so if going to transfer to Alliance do I then get the big eagle epic mount ?

I would guess they have to switch every item and mount to the equal of the opposite faction thats the only way to work
Your guess is as good as mine. One would think they would match the equivalent of items which will most likely happen. Thinking more granular, you have to look at achievements, quests (including items), and so forth. I sure hope we hear more about this and the expansion at BlizzCon.

Dear god I hope not... I don't want another couple years of my life to disappear...

I seriously doubt they will bother with a WoW2. They have a good thing going with 1 and with every expansion, there is an explosion of new players and returning players. Why make a new game when you can release a new expansion with some graphical updates (that work soooo well, see "ultra" quality graphics and shadow slider on full as examples) and it outsells every game that calender year. Not to mention that after blizzard shut down private servers, it became the hardest game to pirate.

Anyways, they already said they are working on a new MMO that is a new franchise (sorry, no starcraft mmo). We'll see if they can do as well with it as they did with WoW.

Anyways, they already said they are working on a new MMO that is a new franchise (sorry, no starcraft mmo). We'll see if they can do as well with it as they did with WoW.

No way their next gen MMORPG beats WoW. That is a hard act to follow, it is like James Cameron's Titanic not every critic loved the movie, but it was the #1 selling movie of all time. Now he has Avatar coming,and will surely be better quality and overall cooler, but I doubt it beats Titanic sales.

I am just very curious where Blizzard will take this MMORPG ? I really dig the fantasy setting of WoW. A World of Stracraft would be ok I guess, but if it is based on neither of these genres the only other would be anceint Greece or Roman times, or possiblly the industrial revolution

I seriously doubt they will bother with a WoW2. They have a good thing going with 1 and with every expansion, there is an explosion of new players and returning players. Why make a new game when you can release a new expansion with some graphical updates (that work soooo well, see "ultra" quality graphics and shadow slider on full as examples) and it outsells every game that calender year. Not to mention that after blizzard shut down private servers, it became the hardest game to pirate.

as far a sai know there are still some private servers, my brother plays on one. Patches are kinda out of date (they still dont have uld) but they have things like guild houses

as far a sai know there are still some private servers, my brother plays on one. Patches are kinda out of date (they still dont have uld) but they have things like guild houses

Its still nothing like what it used to be. There were some private servers that were more populated than some of the low pop real servers. For the most part, Blizzard shut most all of the big ones down with threats of legal actions.

At this point, the only thing I can see as 'fresh' really for WoW or any other MMO is to find a way to take out the 'grind' factor somewhat and make things totally random and scaleable so its not such a predictable, repeatable experience. For instance, you can get a drop from anything, not just running the same instance over and over and hope that this time you get it. My first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies. The sandbox experiece was awesome, although unrefined...what if you got sucked into another world via the Maelstrom and they made it a world that was 'buildable' like having player cities...infighting between guilds where faction wasn't as big a factor anymore? Alliances/Societies can form....colonies...some sense of loss for losing your life....having more robust skillsets, that sort of thing. The one thing I miss about SWG is that there isn't the same tradeskill crafting experience. Also, they can bring in scaleable rehashes of old instances that randomly spawn so that you aren't always 100% prepared for what's going to happen. Daydreaming I guess....but as long as they got subscriptions, I suppose why fis it if it ain't broke?

Project Titan is locked tight at Blizzard, my friend lives with a guy working in there. This is Blizzards next MMO, which has been stated 1000 times to be a complete new IP and it is not WoW2.

I am selling my WoW account in case anyone is intrested, I have all three games and a druid with her epic flyer.
Not looking for much more than what I paid for the actual games. Send me a message if you are interested.

Project Titan is locked tight at Blizzard, my friend lives with a guy working in there. This is Blizzards next MMO, which has been stated 1000 times to be a complete new IP and it is not WoW2.

Yeah my buddy has a friend who works at Blizzard :rolleyes:

Sorry, you may be right, lets get some more info please :eek: Project Titan ? That sounds like that TitanQuest themed game, and one I wouldn't be surprised to see Blizzard make a game in the Greek or Roman mythology stuff. Could still have similar WoW weapons like swords, maces, axes, bows, etc...cool creatures, and stuff. Clash of the Titans MMORPG :D

So if true, then obviously no sci/fi MMORPG coming, but more a sword and sorcery style game still, and closer in theme to WoW than would be a StarCraft MMO.

Yeah my buddy has a friend who works at Blizzard :rolleyes:

Sorry, you may be right, lets get some more info please :eek: Project Titan ? That sounds like that TitanQuest themed game, and one I wouldn't be surprised to see Blizzard make a game in the Greek or Roman mythology stuff. Could still have similar WoW weapons like swords, maces, axes, bows, etc...cool creatures, and stuff. Clash of the Titans MMORPG :D

So if true, then obviously no sci/fi MMORPG coming, but more a sword and sorcery style game still, and closer in theme to WoW than would be a StarCraft MMO.

Or it could just be a name they gave a project and be completely unrelated to the game content. Could have called it Project Blue, and we'd be speculating how we can be anything blue.............or.........everyone has to be all sad in the game and cry.

I'd say worry about the game about 2 years after they announce what it's about because chances are it'll be delayed at least a year beyond their guesstimated ship date.

Or it could just be a name they gave a project and be completely unrelated to the game content. Could have called it Project Blue, and we'd be speculating how we can be anything blue.............or.........everyone has to be all sad in the game and cry.

I'd say worry about the game about 2 years after they announce what it's about because chances are it'll be delayed at least a year beyond their guesstimated ship date.

True, but always fun to speculate where Blizzard is going with their 2nd MMORPG ? It will be very well designerd I am sure of that, from everything they have learned that did not work right in WoW, or bad idea they can do better again.

But my biggest question is what theme or genre ? It could be ancient mythology like Greek/Roman times ? Could be Sci/Fi, but I doubt it, because if not a StarCraft MMO why make another brand new sci/fi IP. Could be the industrial revolution, but like a twisted version of that time ? No way it is King Arthur times with knights, that would be too close to WoW theme.

Back