will be buying a Surface pro, Jump now or wait?

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
i know "wait" is always the answer because tomorrows technology is always better. But i do plan on doing light gaming on it. i play WoW, diablo, simple stuff. From what i understand haswell is a mobile focused CPU and the improvements in the iGPU are pretty huge compared to the HD4000. if the Igpu will give me +10fps ill wait.

Honestly if you are thinking much about gaming yeah, you might want to wait a while to see what Haswell brings as native resolution gaming can be hit or miss with the Surface Pro, though the games you listed would probably fare pretty well.

I would probably wait at this point if it isn't an immediate need (e.g. replacing a dead laptop, etc.). Haswell will be here soon and I have to imagine we will see a refresh sooner than later.

i know "wait" is always the answer because tomorrows technology is always better. But i do plan on doing light gaming on it. i play WoW, diablo, simple stuff. From what i understand haswell is a mobile focused CPU and the improvements in the iGPU are pretty huge compared to the HD4000. if the Igpu will give me +10fps ill wait.

I think you'd be best off waiting. Based off of my experience owning one, people will be selling theirs for a considerable amount less than they paid as the market gets saturated with them. They are just not functional, in my opinion.

I think you'd be best off waiting. Based off of my experience owning one, people will be selling theirs for a considerable amount less than they paid as the market gets saturated with them. They are just not functional, in my opinion.

I doubt the market will be saturated with the Surface Pro considering it's sold a 1/3 of what they planned on :p

I doubt the market will be saturated with the Surface Pro considering it's sold a 1/3 of what they planned on :p

You're thinking of the Surface RT. The Surface Pro actually seems to be selling well for a device of its price and I don't think there were ever any projections that leaked about how many Pros Microsoft was expecting to sell.

You're thinking of the Surface RT. The Surface Pro actually seems to be selling well for a device of its price and I don't think there were ever any projections that leaked about how many Pros Microsoft was expecting to sell.

http://www.channelweb.co.uk/crn-uk/news/2255124/microsoft-insiders-point-to-poor-surface-sales

People with knowledge of the company's sales told Bloomberg that the vendor has sold a little over one million of its consumer-focused Surface RT tablets since its launch in the run-up to Christmas last year, and only 400,000Surface Pro devices since its launch in February.

The sources asked Bloomberg not to be named as sales of the tablets are yet to be officially released, but added that the vendor had initially ordered three million devices.

yeah.

Love mine, there is always something better around the corner so it really depends on your needs.

Its not a mainstream device. Big deal. There is nothing that touches it for what it can do for a powerful sleek tablet, whether you need that or not is a question up to you.

A new Apple product can sell a couple of million in a day. So 400k in a month after a $400 million advertising campaign seems rather weak.

I think tablets are selling at about 20 million a month now, so the Surface Pro is only getting about 2% market share.

A new Apple product can sell a couple of million in a day. So 400k in a month after a $400 million advertising campaign seems rather weak.

I think tablets are selling at about 20 million a month now, so the Surface Pro is only getting about 2% market share.

I readily acknowledge Apple's ability to sell ARM iOS in the volume you indicate, but when has Apple or anyone else ever sold a couple million $1k x86 computers in a single day?

I was wondering about waiting myself but this product tempted me since the day it was announced... I'd say this is exactly what I wanted when the original iPad came out. I like being able to hold my PC at a comfortable viewing distance which a laptop doesn't do.

Build quality, speed etc. are great on this device. The screen at first impression is very sharp, bright and clear (much nicer than my Nexus 7). I love having an included stylus on a tablet device for those damn hover over menus on websites... The type cover is better than expected as well.

For me, it wasn't really worth waiting for the next Surface. I bet that will be at least another 10-12 months off from anything I've come across on-line.

I am VERY interested in a Haswell Variant of Surface Pro.

I am not the least interested in the current offering.

Haswell should offer better performance / power / battery life, so its a def wait for me. Granted once Haswell comes out its successor is supposed to be a even larger leap in graphics power.

Wait for a Haswell/Windows Blue version of the surface. It will certainly be worth it. Better battery life, better CPU performance, better GPU performance, cooler.

Is there even any guarantee that Haswell will significantly improve the battery life?

I've enjoyed using mine. I don't use it as a primary machine at home or work, but it's proven to fill many in between tasks for me.

I also have a work issued ipad 2 with 3g, it's just a giant email reader that is cool during my home searches and driving around... but then I have my phone which is smaller and more practical.

The Surface is awesome if any of you are trying to buy/sell a house, use the freebie Docusign app... saved me hours in printing, signing, scanning, uploading.

I've also picked up the Logitech T650 touchpad, $50 from Fry's new, and it's a nice companion for it.. but touching the screen and the speed of the Pro is really cool once you start to get used to the different swipe features.

Good luck either way.

I am VERY interested in a Haswell Variant of Surface Pro.

I think that's the main problem of the Surface pro. The release was way too close to Haswell launch. I wonder when Microsoft decided to build Surface. As it is, the first generation of Surface isn't much more than an advertisement for next generation. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm definitely checking out North Cape based devices also.

I knew I was going to wait for Haswell version when I learned of the Pro's launch date, but I was much more disappointed with RT in a way. I had no expectations for it until I actually played with it and found how much I liked it except for the price tag. It's basically what I wanted in a tablet, a toy that can be used for work in spots, but I'm not paying $5-600 for it when I can get a ultra portable laptop for similar price.

Everyone has always made these assumptions of what Haswell will bring, but for anyone that has been around these type of rumors long enough....know that the raw specs and claims from Intel do not always get fully realized in end hardware integrations.

There is ALWAYS something better around the corner.

Waiting for Haswell and Verizon LTE baked in or addable in some way other than a USB modem

im going to jump on a surface pro, i just dont know when.

Back