Will an SSD used for my OS/Program drive work with this system?

MikeSp

Weaksauce
My desktop computer is based on an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard with an Intel Q9550 processor, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Yes, I realize it is (gasp) 5 years old but its rebuild is not until around Christmas or later.

What are the chances I could use a Samsung Evo 840 Pro SSD, migrate the OS and programs from the OS/Program HDD, swap out that HDD and have the Evo 840 actually work without glitches?

Thoughts, opinions???

Thanks,

MikeSP

It really depends on the software you use. I have never had much luck going for a larger HDD to a smaller SSD using Norton Ghost. I have however had good results using Seagates program, note it does require a Seagate drive be detected even if its not involved in the migration. In the end though you are far better off doing a fresh install, besides with an SSD the speeds will be so fast you will get through the installs quick. Worth noting though if you are limited to Sata 3gb instead of 6 then you may be limited to around 350mbs on reads.

I don't see any problems other than I believe your board is Sata 2, so it will work just not at the Sata 3 speeds. The upgrade to SSD would still be VERY noticeable.

EDIT:
The post above mine kinda beat me, but Samsung comes with their own program if you get the migration kit and it has worked every single time for me. You just have to be transferring to a Samsung drive, doesn't matter what brand you are transferring from.

That would be an awesome upgrade.And you would no doubt notice the difference. SSDs are aweseome. But why not do a clean install? That way you'd be sure to have a perfect machine.

One important thing to keep in mind: Why buy a high-end SSD for use in a computer right now that can't use it to its potential when you could get it later during your system overhaul for (likely) a lot less money? Or get something better for the same as what you'd spend right now?

Cloning your current drive will take a bit more than a one-click option. But there are many guides to help with that process. Personally, it's been hit-and-miss for me. I could follow guides to the T, and sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Never a fan of norton ghost though.

It really depends on the software you use. I have never had much luck going for a larger HDD to a smaller SSD using Norton Ghost. I have however had good results using Seagates program, note it does require a Seagate drive be detected even if its not involved in the migration. In the end though you are far better off doing a fresh install, besides with an SSD the speeds will be so fast you will get through the installs quick.

I bought my Lenovo laptop with an HDD, then put in a third-party SSD. I got a Corsair SSD, which came with cable and some one-touch software that moved the OS over to the SSD, no problems. If you don't have the original Windows OS disk, this may be your only viable option.

Or, if you have an HDD full of apps, data files, etc, do you really, really want to do full backups, then all those installations? :rolleyes: I didn't think so.

I ordered a Samsung 830 Pro and now feel mostly confident that if I use their proprietary software to migrate the contents of my OS/Program drive (no data) that it should work and perhaps extend the useful life of this five year old computer until I can find the time to do a complete rebuild. Even realizing that I only have SATA II, the SSD should make my Velociraptor main drive look like a floppy disk in speed.

For you young'uns, a floppy disk is... never mind, you wouldn't believe me -- LOLLL

Hey, I am so old, I remember the excitement when Apple brought out external floppy drives that replaced a cassette tape drive for the Apple II and those floppy drives held a whopping 160K and cost $398 back in ... (never mind)... At the time, they seemed sooooooo fast and held soooooooo much... ROFLMAO thinking back...

MikeSp

Back