Will an SSD help with TF2 and Planetside2 load times?

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
I love some TF2 and Planetside2, but when I click to join a server I can get up and walk away for quite some time. Is this due to client/server based communications or is this loading the game assets and textures?

I will gladly reload my system using an SSD if that would appreciatively decrease load times in games.

I don't play Planetside 2, but my TF2 load times were greatly reduced when I got my SSD. When the map resets, I'm usually one of the first couple people to enter the game because it loads so quickly now.

Yes and yes. First thing I did was fire up TF2 when I got my SSD. It was as quick or quicker than my RAID0 before it crashed and I was stuck on the painfully slow single drive. Basically I was always the first one on the server with the SSD/RAID0, or second. Planetside was also quicker, although I've since uninstalled the game.

I love some TF2 and Planetside2, but when I click to join a server I can get up and walk away for quite some time. Is this due to client/server based communications or is this loading the game assets and textures?

I will gladly reload my system using an SSD if that would appreciatively decrease load times in games.

Yes it will, but you don't have to reload your entire system. You can just add an SSD and use it just for games.

However, it will speed your system up a lot, so if you get a big enough SSD to hold both your system and games I would recommend it. I actually run two SSDs. One has windows and a few essential programs, and the other has all my games on it.

The largest category of files I have on my rig are Videos. I think if I were to load OS, Steam ( for PS2 and Planetside) Origin for BF3, I should be able to use a 120GB drive then keep the other 2TB for videos and rarely used apps ( word processors, and a second instance of Steam for other less demanding/less frequently played games)

Both TF2 and PS2 load much much quicker off an SSD. I play PS2 with some friends who have it on an HDD, and their initial load times and continent warp/deploy times are at least 5-10s longer than mine (mine is pretty much instant).

Ssd will definitely help load times assuming that what you are loading is being loaded from the ssd

The largest category of files I have on my rig are Videos. I think if I were to load OS, Steam ( for PS2 and Planetside) Origin for BF3, I should be able to use a 120GB drive then keep the other 2TB for videos and rarely used apps ( word processors, and a second instance of Steam for other less demanding/less frequently played games)

This is pretty much stanard procedure these days - 128GB or 256GB SSD for O/S & most frequently used apps & games, spinning disk for media storage and backup. And remember to take advantage of the biggest benefit to Steam which is 1-click download & install. Meaning if you're not currently playing a game use the "Delete Local Content" function. It won't wipe out your saves as they are usually stored in your Documents\My Games folder.

As an example my friend complained he needed a bigger SSD because he ran out of space. I looked and saw he had all these Steam games installed that he'd finished and doesn't play anymore, or wanted to play but wasn't getting around to. I had him delete those games and told him to leverage Steam for its on-demand aspect, reinstallation is only 1-click and a 5-10 min download away.

Long story short if you dont already have an SSD you are missing out.

Last edited:
For ANY MMO an SSD will make a difference , sometimes huge. It all depends on how often it needs to access files in general. Even less demanding (or old) MMO's benefit GREATLY from an SSD. SSD's have around 0.1 ms of latency on average and that's what makes the difference , being able to access anything on the drive in memory instantly beats having to move a drive head across different parts of several platters and then scan for information.

For instance running WoW on my HDD takes about a minute or two to fully load up a heavily populated area and even then it stutters while loading in new parts. Running WoW on an SSD makes me load into heavily populated area's almost within 4-5 seconds and continues to stream in new information with great ease even in new area's or just loading.

Planetside 2 has a ton of files to pour over so I would imagine the difference would be huge.

Considering even a 64GB SSD is dirt ass cheap (stick with Intel , Crucial , Samsung and Scandisk) will run around $60+ there is no reason not to get one.

Right now an SSD is probably one of the best and most noticable upgrades you can buy. It breathes life into old systems and keeps new ones fast.

For ANY MMO an SSD will make a difference , sometimes huge. It all depends on how often it needs to access files in general. Even less demanding (or old) MMO's benefit GREATLY from an SSD. SSD's have around 0.1 ms of latency on average and that's what makes the difference , being able to access anything on the drive in memory instantly beats having to move a drive head across different parts of several platters and then scan for information.

For instance running WoW on my HDD takes about a minute or two to fully load up a heavily populated area and even then it stutters while loading in new parts. Running WoW on an SSD makes me load into heavily populated area's almost within 4-5 seconds and continues to stream in new information with great ease even in new area's or just loading.

Planetside 2 has a ton of files to pour over so I would imagine the difference would be huge.

Considering even a 64GB SSD is dirt ass cheap (stick with Intel , Crucial , Samsung and Scandisk) will run around $60+ there is no reason not to get one.

Right now an SSD is probably one of the best and most noticable upgrades you can buy. It breathes life into old systems and keeps new ones fast.

Quoted for emphasis. An SSD is obscenely fast and basically eliminates load hitching in addition to making loading lightning-fast. Your whole system ends up feeling like it's in memory instead of chugging along when on the desktop, too.

SSD helped my load times a bunch.

First in the map means you can grab the open sniper spot if you want, or get on the team you want before it fills up. Well and the less waiting stuff too. I would rather wonder around in the game than stare at a progress bar.

Planetside 2 is about x3 times faster load time then a HDD using a Samsung 840 regular

Oh yeah. GoldenTiger is right.

I can walk in my room, hit the power button on my computer, hit the power button on my monitor, settle into the chair and by the time the screen is turned on and lit I am good to click a game or a browser or whatever and it instantly is good to go.

You wouldn't believe the difference til you get one. I know I didn't.

I don't play Planetside 2, but my TF2 load times were greatly reduced when I got my SSD. When the map resets, I'm usually one of the first couple people to enter the game because it loads so quickly now.

I'm usually one of three in a game. Its nice when playing MvM. Lots of people follow the rule of "I was here first, I get to play what I want first."

As others have said, I think it will make a significant difference especially in games that have a lot of "block" load-time. If you're able to do so, it may help to install your operating system and some of the most intensive games on the SSD for maximum speed boost (giving your OS that speed boost is a big thing, in any of itself), but you can also just use the whole thing for games if you're not ready to reformat and whatnot.

For top-tier SSDs (and you don;t want to buy anything less and get stuck with some more volatile, slower, less durable-write SSDs), right now the relatively affordable sizes range up to about 256gb (or 512gb if you're willing to pay around $500 dollars or so) - larger, and you'll be looking at a multi-hundred dollar premium to that which ranges into the thousands. As others have mentioned, a 64gb drive is downright cheap these days, and a 128 tends to be affordable for most. As for brands, let me recommend Samsung 840 and 840 Pro series. Right now, I am to understand that Samsung's 840 Pro are the fastest and most reliable "prosumer" 2.5in SATAIII SSDs around, with an excellent controller that isn't buggy or troublesome. Intel 520 series are also good options if you can find them inexpensively.

Planetside is an intensive MMO (CPU and disk as well as GPU), so I think a SSD will definitely help if you already have a substantial CPU (ideally, overclocked) and a good solid GPU.

I have a 240 ssd as my boot and drive for my most frequently played games. Yes, I can tell the difference in load times from my old HDD to the new SSD. Go with an SSD and never look back.

Like everyone else said, yes. I load in CSGO in like 3-5 seconds.

Not all that relevant. CS:GO loads fast, while TF2 takes forever. They released the game back in 2007 and still haven't addressed that issue. There's not good reason for this crap.

Not all that relevant. CS:GO loads fast, while TF2 takes forever. They released the game back in 2007 and still haven't addressed that issue. There's not good reason for this crap.

TF2 maps are usually much larger than CS maps

Back