Will AM3+ Bulldozer support more than 4 DIMMs?

stewartjm

Limp Gawd
I know I can go with a C32 or G34 Opteron Bulldozer to get the extra DIMMs.

But does anyone know, if there are any upcoming Socket AM3+ boards that will support more than 4 DIMMs? As far as I have been able to find, all the currently available boards have 4 or less.

But does anyone know, if there are any upcoming Socket AM3+ boards that will support more than 4 DIMMs?

It will not. The limit for dimms per channel with DDR3 is 2. And BD has 2 channels thus 4 dimms maximum.

C32 is 4 dimm's only as well.. its the opteron version of AM3. G34 is the only socket that supports 8 dimm's(quad channel).

Nope if you want to overclock you can either go socket 1366 (6 dimms) or 2011 (8 dimms)

Do you really need more than 16gb of memory 4x4gb? Even with a rendering application and a 8 core bull dozer thats still 2gb per process.... I mean unless you are running Virtual Machines and all then you would probably want to move to g34 or 2x 1366 Xeons anyway....

I remember reading a while back that Bulldozer would support quad channel memory, and assumed that would mean 8 DIMMs. Maybe the new desktop socket next year?

So I guess I'll be deciding between C32(with 2 sockets for 8 DIMMs), G32 with 1 or 2 sockets, or 2011 with 1 or 2 sockets. Main drawback of C32 and G34 is most of the existing boards are really bare bone. Though I could always add a USB card...

Thanks for the input. If only Bulldozer and socket 2011 would hurry up and release.

G34 supports 8 dimms. The desktop version can not support quad channel unless AMD adds 400 pins or so. The next socket (which will not be backward compatible) with AM3 may support DDR4 and that is 1 dimm per channel max so it may support 2 dims maximum.

I remember reading a while back that Bulldozer would support quad channel memory, and assumed that would mean 8 DIMMs. Maybe the new desktop socket next year?

So I guess I'll be deciding between C32(with 2 sockets for 8 DIMMs), G32 with 1 or 2 sockets, or 2011 with 1 or 2 sockets. Main drawback of C32 and G34 is most of the existing boards are really bare bone. Though I could always add a USB card...

Thanks for the input. If only Bulldozer and socket 2011 would hurry up and release.

like the above post, G34 supports quad channel(8 dimms per processor), AMD will more then likely not bother with quad channel any time soon on the consumer side, it has no benefit to the average customer and yet adds to much cost to the overall platform.

This makes no sense, neither of those sockets are AMD or BD related.

He asked for support of more than 4 dims - I advised only solutions that allow doing so currently while mantaining good single threaded performance.

And they both will be price competitive to G34 solution

C32 supports 6 DIMMs per CPU (2 channels x 3 DIMMs), G34 supports 12 DIMMs per CPU (4 channels x 3 DIMMs).

But neither supports overclocking.

Now, IF BD at least approaches 2600K AND IF 8 core/module Opteron BDs have reasonable basic clock speeds AND IF the prices are somewhat similar to consumer BDs, then a couple of them in an ASUS KGPE-D16 with 16x4GB might might might MIGHT just tempt me to put out the cash. In all fairness it might be cheaper in overall price than populating an LGA2011 with 8x8GB!

Ahhh man 32 gb for 1000$ you really pay a premium for those high density dimms. When more are released the price will go down some. I wan 64 gb for running battlefield 3 from a RAM disk.

Ditch the Corsair - Hynix 8GB chips cost WAY too much. The Crucial is is half the price, and possibly slightly better (Micron chips).

Ditch the Corsair - Hynix 8GB chips cost WAY too much. The Crucial is is half the price, and possibly slightly better (Micron chips).

The corsair module is registered and will not work in desktop boards. G34 / C32 can probably use this. Also the server lga1366.

Back