Will Alder Lake ever support PCIe5 SSDs?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title.
As far as I know Alder Lake supports only 16 lanes of PCIe5.

Those lanes are usually dedicated to the GPU in the first PCIe slot.

Will we be able to use PCIe5 SSDs on Alder Lake?

Sure, just use a PCI-E to M.2 adapter to get PCI-E 5.0 speeds for your SSD.

Yes but it uses CPU lanes, so it may knock down the GPU to Gen 4 if both are installed.
Keep in mind no one knows the answer to this yet since you can't buy either a PCIE 5.0 video card or SSD yet.

Would seem logical that they would design it to allow the x16 slot to operate at 8x. Then the other slots could have x8 split between them. Think my 7700k board did something like that with M.2 and SATA ports. If you ran a second M.2 then some SATA ports were disabled due to bandwidth limitations.
To think that we're this close to 15 GBps storage devices in our home devices messes with my brain. Weren't we just talking about WD Raptors in RAID 0?

Would seem logical that they would design it to allow the x16 slot to operate at 8x. Then the other slots could have x8 split between them. Think my 7700k board did something like that with M.2 and SATA ports. If you ran a second M.2 then some SATA ports were disabled due to bandwidth limitations.
To think that we're this close to 15 GBps storage devices in our home devices messes with my brain. Weren't we just talking about WD Raptors in RAID 0?

ahahahah, good old raprtors 10K RPM :D

Will we be able to use PCIe5 SSDs on Alder Lake?
Apparently via the chipset (when they will show up):
https://www.pcmag.com/about/alder-l...ipset-is-this-intels-most-innovative-platform

The remaining four PCIe 5.0 lanes are intended for use with M.2 NVMe SSDs.

13-119-504-V02.jpg

From my understanding the m.2 slot running off the CPU is PCIE 4.0, and only the 2 PCIE slots are 5.0.

The Asus Z690 Hero can do it with the Hyper m.2 card, but it has to be installed in one of the 2 PCIE 5.0 slots running off the CPU (video card drops to 8X...), not the bottom slot running off the chipset as that's 4.0 only.

ADL and Z690 are capable of using PCIe 5,0 SSD at full bandwidth. The problem is that you cannot use GPU and SSD together with each running at full blown PCIe 5.0 x16. 🥲

Back