Will a RX480 work on an old (6 years) build?

FJGC

n00b
Hello everybody,
I have this old Digital Storm PC custom tower build I bought in 2010 or 2011 (cant remember lol). It used to have a Radeon 7850's if I'm not mistaken, but it melted and now it has a similarly old nVidia GT240... needless to say, the RX480 would be a major improvement on it's gaming and video editing capabilities. Regarding the specs it has an i7 920 2.6ghz processor, and the mobo is an ASUS P6T Deluxe (not UEFI BIOS, but old blue screen BIOS), 16gb of DDR3. I want to upgrade with the RX480, but I'm not sure it will work. In my research, I know for sure that trying to install a newer NVIDIA won't work (it seems new green cards require UEFI bios no matter what), and I found out that this is the newest card I could install without no issues: MSI Computer Corp. Computer Video Graphics Cards N750TI-2GD5/OC (at least according to the Amazon product page) but I just want to ask just in case any of you are thinking of doing something similar, or maybe even know if it's possible or not to install it without having to upgrade everything...

Thanks for your time guys!

I would wait a while and then check Newegg and Amazon reviews for someone to mention any issues with Bios/UEFI issues. You could always contact the manufacture first before buying. Worst case scenario would be returning, in which case I would recommend buying from Amazon to avoid paying restocking fee. If you don't want to wait you could purchase it from:
Diamond AMD RX 480 PCIE GDDR5 8GB Memory Graphics Video Card

They seem to have it in stock.

The GTX 1070/1080 and RX 480 should have no problems running on pcie 2.0 motherboards, including the X58 chipset.

The only mention of UEFI is that the ultra-fast boot feature requires EFI installed Windows 8/10 and a modern graphics card that supports UEFI, but this is not required for the card to work properly.

I think that motherboard would be fine as long as you have a bios update, my old AM2+ setup and a lenovo M91 would not boot with anything newer then a 7770. I think X58 and newer should be ok...

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be patient and do my research, and see what happens!

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be patient and do my research, and see what happens!

I have the P6T Deluxe V2.0, still see no need to upgrade it yet. GTX 970 runs fine, running Windows 10. No UEFI bios limitations to what i can do, apart from fast booting.

I can't see the RX480 or newer nvidia offerings having any trouble, not that i'm going to upgrade anytime soon :)

There may be something unexpected and untested.
I had P6T Deluxe V2.0 and 290 kept crashing randomly when it switched between different power states. That's a known issue for 290 and x58 chipset. Nvidia cards were fine. Same card was fine on a newer M/B.

There may be something unexpected and untested.
I had P6T Deluxe V2.0 and 290 kept crashing randomly when it switched between different power states. That's a known issue for 290 and x58 chipset. Nvidia cards were fine. Same card was fine on a newer M/B.
Interesting. I've been having an issue getting the computer to wake from sleep state with the P6T and Radeon HD7950. Although admittingly, I haven't updated windows 7 in a long time. At first, the crash minidump was reporting timestamp differences for the ATI driver, so I clean installed the latest driver and disabled auto updates. That fixed the time stamp issue and reduced the frequency of the sleep issues. However, it failed to wake up again last night and this time it didn't create a memory dump. I already disabled cpu/C-States C3-C6, but I haven't tried disabling C-states entirely (might be a cpu idle undervolt issue).

Interesting. I've been having an issue getting the computer to wake from sleep state with the P6T and Radeon HD7950. Although admittingly, I haven't updated windows 7 in a long time. At first, the crash minidump was reporting timestamp differences for the ATI driver, so I clean installed the latest driver and disabled auto updates. That fixed the time stamp issue and reduced the frequency of the sleep issues. However, it failed to wake up again last night and this time it didn't create a memory dump. I already disabled cpu/C-States C3-C6, but I haven't tried disabling C-states entirely (might be a cpu idle undervolt issue).

That's a different problem entirely. R9 290 and x58 chipset issue was STOP 0xA0000001 in atikmdag.sys with games that did not load the GPU all that much, for example Diablo3 or some hardware accelerated web-browsing, so the GPU kept switching power states pretty much constantly. Games like BF4 were fine as they were loading GPU to the max.

RX480 should work just fine in that setup, but I would probably invest in a high end cooler and an inexpensive Xeon cpu to go with that new card as well. Sleep works on mine but i choose not to use do to power surge warnings....i use any and all power savings so its not a big issue being on.

Back