will a dually be beneficial to Myth TV. . . ?

paulmofyourhand

[H]ard|Gawd
im still reading up on Myth tv, so im new to it,

if i got a dual 500mhz celeron w/ abit bp-6 motherboard, 512mb, 120gb , and a tv tuner (is happagge taht good?) , would this setup be sufficient to run myth tv , and do all of its feature effortelssly?

and can i have a file server for other files and regular stuff?

does myth tv run on linux and/or windows?

thanks in advance

-paulm

myth tv is a linux app. if you are new to linux, I suggest you check out knoppmyth. it is a simplified installation of knoppix (a linux flavor) and myth tv. it is as simple as you can get for installs.

I do not know if linux utilizies dual processors or not.

as for file server, etc, yes you can run whatever you want on the box in addition to myth. the celerons don't handle much multitasking though, so I would keep it to a minimum. files serfer to you lan should be ok.

Linux can use multiple processors, however, I dont believe MythTV is written to take advantage of SMP.

And yes, the Hauppauge cards are great, especially if you have a slower system (like your 500mhz). I run a PVR-250 in my Mythtv box and love it.

Your stuck with the regular 250 but I'd say get them seperate since many feel that the Hauppage remote is too limited for HTPC use. I'd say build an LIRC and use any universal remote you want.

Myth does indeed benefit from an SMP setup, though I would suggest it be used as a backend to do transcoding and commercial flagging.

Dual celeron 500's will be useless to this end. Turn that into something else, and get a newer machine with more horsepower to run mythbackend.

Back