Will a DAC help a non audiophile ?

scoobert

Limp Gawd
Since I am building a new computer and am going to try a couple different sound set ups, starting with dual klipsch promedia sets. Would it help at all to put a optical connection from the mobo to a DAC (maybe Modi 3) then a splitter to the 2 klipsch?

I game and listen to music only with speakers, no headphones or such.

Thanks for any input
Scoob

Yes, if you are dealing with the popping/buzzing/static sounds that are common with onboard audio. A DAC lets you start off with a clean analog audio source. You don't need to be an "audiophile" to appreciate basic noise reduction. If your current setup isn't having these problems then the benefit would be much less.

your onboard sound is probably fine... if your mb has optical out you can also get a FiiO D03K (optical DAC) for $25~ish that should be more than capable of your needs with the promedia set up.

I'll take a moment to advocate for a 2.0 bookshelf / monitor setup up .. if you have room a old stereo receiver which in times before now and the current state of things, could generally be picked up fairly cheaply and some used bookshelf speakers or something like the Jamo S803 bookshelf speakers would destroy the Klipsch promedia... many other bookshelf speakers out there ELAC, Micca, Pioneer... DALI, Wharfedale...etc , etc.

Powered speakers / monitors don't really capture my imagination so I'll let others go down that path... before buying a dac I'd sort out some better speakers worth having a DAC for.

The Promedias are so low quality comparatively speaking that you'll most likely not notive any differenve when switching DACs. They're in the 'toy' category of speakers despite their brand.

Most modern mid-high tier motherboard usually have pretty good DACs and AMPs to power PC Desktop Speakers. If you are running studio monitors then a dedicated DAC/AMP combo will definitely be worthwhile.

Most modern mid-high tier motherboard usually have pretty good DACs and AMPs to power PC Desktop Speakers.
They have pretty good DACs, yes, but motherboards do not come with amplifiers suitable for PC speakers... or any speakers really. Headphones, sure, many can power just about any dynamic driver headphone on the market to a reasonable volume.

Yeah you are right about the motherboard amps not being able power speakers alone, but most PC speakers have their own built in amp especially 2.1s.

Yeah you are right about the motherboard amps not being able power speakers alone, but most PC speakers have their own built in amp especially 2.1s.
Yes they do, part of the point :).

[generally PC speakers aren't recommended except as a resort due to cost, size, or even procurement restraints... but it is important for completeness to point out that passive speakers are not likely to be well powered by the line out on a consumer motherboard, you know, just in case someone who comes along is confused!]

Yes they do, part of the point :).

[generally PC speakers aren't recommended except as a resort due to cost, size, or even procurement restraints... but it is important for completeness to point out that passive speakers are not likely to be well powered by the line out on a consumer motherboard, you know, just in case someone who comes along is confused!]
The line out is barely enough to power headphones and certainly not suitable for passive speakers... Active studio monitors or PC speakers are the way to go unless the OP wants to set up a separate amplifier.

My GF noticed (without me mentioning it) the quality of DAC on her newest phone vs older shit dacs in phones. In a crappy car stereo in a horribly/no sound insulated 900kg jap shitbox. And yes the DAC in the LG V10 is damn good for a phone.
Enough said. I also had a similar experience with the ROG B450-I, the off-board 'integrated' DAC is phenominal. Clean, no noise and a great 'noise floor' to start from which is the key.

My GF noticed (without me mentioning it) the quality of DAC on her newest phone vs older shit dacs in phones. In a crappy car stereo in a horribly/no sound insulated 900kg jap shitbox. And yes the DAC in the LG V10 is damn good for a phone.
Enough said. I also had a similar experience with the ROG B450-I, the off-board 'integrated' DAC is phenominal. Clean, no noise and a great 'noise floor' to start from which is the key.
The quality of the DAC probably had about 1% to do with the quality difference. There is an entire preamp inside the phone that supplies the sound to the jack and that's most likely the cause of the difference. Not the DAC chip. DA conversion is usually one of the highest quality links in the audio chain. They're so simple and cheap to manufacture these days.

ok the schit hela can it reproduce positional audio for gaming it has gaming drivers how do they perform?

The fulla is more than sufficient for gaming audio, the hel is only needed if you need to drive some high impedance headphones, stick with the fulla and save the money otherwise.
Neither of them need drivers unless you have win 7 or 8.1.
Most headsets will be able to provide the directional audio you're looking for, I've heard good things about the PC37X on drop.com (my referral link will get ta 10$ off :) )~ https://drop.com/?referer=FH3YV5 .

Back