Will a Celeron G3900 work for this enviornment?

bob4432

Limp Gawd
I am wondering how a Celeron G3900 would compare to a i5-2500K in the example ahead.

Movie Playback - UHD 4K rips - these files would be from discs that I own but just put on the computer to save the original discs. More than likely either a full move rip or a x265 version of it.

The Celeron shows it supports 4K - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...eleron-processor-g3900-2m-cache-2-80-ghz.html so am thinking it should work OK, but would like to know real world experiences. This is obviously for a HTPC build but it would also double as my home server with a couple multi-TB hdds in a Raid1 setup in addition to the C Drive which will either be a standard 250-500GB Sata SSD or 250-500GB NVMe drive along w/ running some websites that I have for myself and friends using this WAMP build - http://www.devside.net/. The websites do not get much traffic but want to put all of what the machine will be doing on the table. Being the home server, the machine will hold images from a few different laptops and sync up folders from a pair of phones. Again, we are talking the image for the 'C' drive of the machine itself using either Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image (haven't made a 100% decision on which one I want to go with) and then then 2 laptops, and then the Raided array will be backed up or mirrored to a portable external HDD that connects to the machine via USB3 or 3.1.

Last, I use YouTubeTV so that is what the bulk of what the machine will be dealing with. Currently the display is a 1080p, but a 2160p display is being looked at.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I have terrible experience with video playback on Intel IGPU, tearing, and more tearing.

M76 - In your experience, would you go i3 or i5 or dedicated GPU completely? Any type of video playback when watching a movie drives me nuts, so is this just an Intel IGPU thing - would a particular AMD IGPU setup be a better fit - I am loyal to my wallet and bang for buck, I do not care if it a Intel CPU or AMD, or AMD GPU or Nvidia, as long as it gets the job done.

Bob

I'd get an Athlon 200GE instead. 4 threads and a much better Radeon Vega 3 IGP.

And Athlon is back in the naming game :). Looks like I will have some reading to do for a bit to look up a decent ATX m/b. How much more life does the AM4 socket have in it, if you don't mind? Or is it coming to an end in a few months or more like a few years? Anybody comment on the TDP of only 35W? Get is setup with some 2.5"HDDs and a NVMe 'C' drive and you would have a pretty low power use machine that seems would fit the bill nicely between a 24/7 HTPC/Home Server Machine, if in fact those numbers are accurate. Lowest extra PSU I have laying around that would go into it would be a Seasonic 550W Gold Modular unit - now seems a bit overkill. Greatly appreciate the suggestion, I was not aware AMD had moved to and IGPU that seems to be a decent unit, last I had read is that they were going to go that route, so gives you and idea of where my time frame of education comes from. Any chipsets to stay away from on the AMD front?
Thanks,
Bob

M76 - In your experience, would you go i3 or i5 or dedicated GPU completely? Any type of video playback when watching a movie drives me nuts, so is this just an Intel IGPU thing - would a particular AMD IGPU setup be a better fit - I am loyal to my wallet and bang for buck, I do not care if it a Intel CPU or AMD, or AMD GPU or Nvidia, as long as it gets the job done.

Bob
I have no experience with I5 / I3 in that regard. I think your best bet is to get a cheap dedicated GPU. like the GT1030. I'm using one now, and for video playback it does the job, as opposed to the igpu I had before, granted that was an earlier generation intel CPU, maybe they are better now.

If I were you I'd try it with the igpu and if the experience is not good enough for you then get a dedicated one.

Back