Will a 5800X bottleneck a 4070Ti? Can't find solid answers anywhere.

Usual_suspect

Limp Gawd
I've checked bottleneck calculators and got mixed results saying between 4% to 18%, asked around on Reddit and was told at most 10% but no one was sure. I was hoping the experts here can weigh in to possibly put my mind at ease, and search to an end.

I run my games at 1440p, usually maxed out, DLSS and/or Frame Generation if necessary.

5800x/4070ti 1440p checking in.
I'm gpu bound in diablo 2/3, cod wz 2 and Dayz.
I'm cpu bound in Let Hell Loose.(Known for shit optimization)
Yet to play any other games.

There's no such thing as a single bottleneck number. Bottleneck calculators are useless because they make the assumption that everything has the same CPU/GPU balance, and that's false even within different phases of one game.

If the CPU is running slower than the GPU, it just means that the GPU has to wait occasionally. It doesn't make the GPU run slower somehow. And, if you're CPU bound but the frame rates and gameplay is fine, it doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, its gonna vary a lot between diff games and diff settings.
Tldr you'll be fine at 1440p high settings.

If you run the Tombraider benchmark. Might even be free with the demo but don't quote me on that since I own the game. But if you run it I believe it will indicate your bottleneck %. In that game anyway. Might be kinda helpful.

Youtubers, reddit hive-mind, and the younger crowd of gamers like to think in terms of such absolutes - "only X CPU should be paired with Y GPU, because reasons". Do not buy into their nonsense - even a 4090 and 7950X3D / 13900K will have a (hardware) performance bottleneck somewhere for any given application.

The 5800X and 4070ti are both in the top tier of components, you'll have no problems at 1440p.

The 5800X will be fine for a 4070Ti. Don't get too concerned with "bottlenecks" every system has bottlenecks.

Youtubers, reddit hive-mind, and the younger crowd of gamers like to think in terms of such absolutes - "only X CPU should be paired with Y GPU, because reasons". Do not buy into their nonsense - even a 4090 and 7950X3D / 13900K will have a (hardware) performance bottleneck somewhere for any given application.

The 5800X and 4070ti are both in the top tier of components, you'll have no problems at 1440p.
This. No matter what combination of hardware you have, for a given application at a given cycle of the moon, there will be a bottleneck somewhere - there HAS to be, or every computation would complete instantly.

Might be your CPU. Might be your GPU. Might be a freaking MONITOR. Until it actually impacts gameplay (and no, 120 fps instead of 140 isn't actually impacting gameplay, e-sports people aside), it doesn't matter. Bottlenecks are worth discussing when a hardware component literally cannot perform anywhere near its designed level because of another component (eg: someone using an FX-8350 today with DDR3 and buying a 4090 is stupid), not when we're dealing with high-end kit from the last couple of years.

The calculators are bullshit trying to oversimplify complex topics. They're literally meaningless unless all other things are equal - and we live in the real world, not the one with spherical cows in a vaccuum.

LOL I know my 6700k bottlenecks my 3090. I'll definitely be replacing my rig later this year.

LOL I know my 6700k bottlenecks my 3090. I'll definitely be replacing my rig later this year.
It may well be, but it's not a useful statement for anyone else unless you specify what you're doing. (and, as noted by others, it's entirely possible that your REAL bottleneck is the monitor. Or, your eyeballs.) For instance, the 6700K can run games like Overwatch or League of Legends at fps beyond what monitors can display or you can see. Sure, a faster CPU coupled with the 3090 could hit even higher frame rates, but it's irrelevant. One might as well argue over which car is faster in a traffic jam, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Neither one is going to go any faster than the 5 mph traffic.

just to close out. 5600x/4070ti samsung 49" beast 5120 x 1440 mostly play COD MW2. Getting 150+ frames on avg with ultra settings. no problem pairing 5600x with the 4070 ti. almost made for each other. great price vs performance

It may well be, but it's not a useful statement for anyone else unless you specify what you're doing. (and, as noted by others, it's entirely possible that your REAL bottleneck is the monitor. Or, your eyeballs.) For instance, the 6700K can run games like Overwatch or League of Legends at fps beyond what monitors can display or you can see. Sure, a faster CPU coupled with the 3090 could hit even higher frame rates, but it's irrelevant. One might as well argue over which car is faster in a traffic jam, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Neither one is going to go any faster than the 5 mph traffic.
Yeah I'm OC'd to 4.8Ghz but for big open world single player games I know the 1% lows will be so damn much higher on a newer system. The Z170 and 6700k has served me very well almost 8 years later.

Back