Will a 560ti be ok paired with my oc'd q6600?

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to pick up a 560ti to get by playing BF3 and Skyrim until I can build a new rig. I have my q6600 at 3.2ghz. Think I'll be ok or bottlenecked? I'll be playing at 1680x1050.

Should be a really nice upgrade. I've messed around with my cousin's gtx460 for a week in my PhenomII 720 system and saw really nice improvements over my 4850 in BFBC2 and Crysis2. Allowed me to bump up settings and AA while getting a decent boost in fps also. At the time I was just running stock 2.8ghz with only 3 cores.

Just from playing BF3 yesterday on my HD4850, I can say you will be happy with the new purchase and at 1680x1050 that 560ti will probably run things very nicely. As far as answering your question on the bottleneck, I couldn't get into the specifics but I think you should be able to get the most out of a 560 in BF3.

Looking to pick up a 560ti to get by playing BF3 and Skyrim until I can build a new rig. I have my q6600 at 3.2ghz. Think I'll be ok or bottlenecked? I'll be playing at 1680x1050.

Yesterday halfway through playing BF3 on my rig below I realized updating the drivers disabled SLI, so I was running off one card. I was getting around 45fps on all High settings @1920 easily. Youll be fine with a 560Ti

you'll be fine but if you can get the 460 for about 110~ that will be even better if you can

you'll be fine but if you can get the 460 for about 110~ that will be even better if you can

How so? Am I not going to see a difference with my current rig and resolution? I want to run everything at max settings.

I slapped one of my 560ti's in my wifes Q6600 (3.6Ghz, 4gb ram) rig to see how BF3 played. She's running a 22" (1680x1050) as well. I was able to crank everything up to high and it was very playable with only minor stuttering during heavy combat on high population servers. At Ultra settings it was unplayable. I dropped FXAA to medium and AF to 8x and the stuttering stopped with no real noticable difference in quality.

Hope this helps you out. The 560ti with an OC'd Q6600 is pretty damn good combo for the game at 22" resolution.

I slapped one of my 560ti's in my wifes Q6600 (3.6Ghz, 4gb ram) rig to see how BF3 played. She's running a 22" (1680x1050) as well. I was able to crank everything up to high and it was very playable with only minor stuttering during heavy combat on high population servers. At Ultra settings it was unplayable. I dropped FXAA to medium and AF to 8x and the stuttering stopped with no real noticable difference in quality.

Hope this helps you out. The 560ti with an OC'd Q6600 is pretty damn good combo for the game at 22" resolution.

That's perfect, thanks for that. What is the visual difference between high and ultra if you don't mind?

That's perfect, thanks for that. What is the visual difference between high and ultra if you don't mind?

Texture details. Honestly, high on a 22" monitor looked as good as ultra on my 30". The game moves to fast I didn't really have time to look at all the small details between the two.

I am running the same spec as you but with 30" monitor at 2560x1600. On high settings, I get around 30-40 fps still playable but drops when huge explosions all over the the vicinity. Just now saving up for a newer rig.

I am running the same spec as you but with 30" monitor at 2560x1600. On high settings, I get around 30-40 fps still playable but drops when huge explosions all over the the vicinity. Just now saving up for a newer rig.

You might get a little better performance if you OC your CPU a bit more. Say to 3.4 (425x8). That'd bring your memory up to 850 which should be fine. I noticed taking my wife's from 3.0 to 3.6 really smoothed out gameplay. Frames didn't dip so much. Plus drop your FXAA to medium and AF to 8x or 4x. That should help without really seeing much of a drop in image quality.

Back