Will 2 4gig GTX 680s in SLI be enough to power a 4K monitor?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
From the NVIDIA specs page:

Standard Display Connectors: One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort

4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.

I've been running 2 680 GTX 4gig cards in SLI for years now, and been happy with them. I mostly photo edit, and do some gaming. Other than Witcher 3, most of my games are less GPU intensive indie games, though I do plan to begin playing Elite Dangerous this year.

Thanks for the info on this, since I am considering buying a 4K monitor. I've been running 2 30" 2560x1600 monitors for years.

Thanks, folks. Yeah, I would want to game.

then you should upgrade to a better GPU, actually GTX 680 it's just able to do some "adequate" 1080P modern gaming, any AAA game newer than 2015 will struggle badly, I won't upgrade to a newer monitor until get a new GPU. nvidia it's about to launch (tomorrow) their new architecture of GPUs, so that's were I would put my aim on.

Cool, thanks

I don't know if I have a greater tolerance for 30 or slightly lower frames per sec, but I am able to run Witcher 3 at 2560x1600 at mid/upper quality settings just fine with my setup. Sometimes the frames are noticeably slow when it rains, but nothing unplayable.
Granted, I'm not playing spastic online shooters like COD or Battlefield 1, where I'd probably be at a disadvantage with the cards' performance.

What I'm saying is that I'm pleasantly surprised these two cards in SLI have lasted me as long as they have.

In a year or so, it might be time to build a new system anyway, at which point I'd likely get a 4K monitor, or maybe even a 5K one if there is a good one that isn't eye wateringly expensive.

I'm still running 3x 680s in SLI. Biggest issue really is that fewer and fewer new games seem to have good SLI support, especially if you want to use DX12 or something like Vulkan. With older cards in SLI you really need all of your GPUs to be utilized or you're screwed. It's definitely not something you can count on going forward. It's been painful waiting this long, but worst case, the new gen that is about to be released should help bring down the prices on the "older" gen (1080ti, etc) cards.

Not if you want a steady 60 FPS on 4k. You'll probably want the new RTX 1080 or RTX 1080 Ti. No performance benchmarks yet but I have a feeling they would be beastly at that resolution.

The first issue with the 680's is that 4 GB is too small a frame buffer. The second is lacking the horsepower for 4k, you will probably notice some micro stutter when you try to SLI them.

From what the latest rumors are - from earlier today - the 1160 or 2060 are faster than overclocked 1080s - so if you wait until next year, you will definitely get a BIG performance bump, even going to one newer card.

for games, you don't necessarily need to run NATIVE 4k.. but I was running 2x 670's for a while and the experience wasn't great

Many 1080 Ti cards will come up for sale used tomorrow or the next day once the RTX 2080 Ti hits the street.

If you don't mind used, grab a couple of those.........I just may have a couple up for sale soon if this 2080 Ti is any good.......

1080 Ti GPUs run alot of games very well at 4K.

Thanks, all. The longer I wait, the better. My biggest challenge in terms of monitor upgrades (which is what would necessitate new graphics cards) is needing one that is 4K, greater than 32" (40" or thereabout preferred) and that is good enough for intensive fine art photography editing (10-bit color and good aRGB). I'd be okay with 60Hz.

Back