WikiReader for $19.99

Includes 4GB MicroSD card.
Order Total $21.74

This thing seems mostly useless, but requiring only 2 AAA batteries and ability to be a basic ebook reader, I can see how this thing can become very suddenly useful.

Mod a backlight into it and you're set.

i'm debating getting a couple as gifts.
i have some friends who would get a laugh out of it initially, but later use the hell out of it.

I've seen these in person before. They're ok for someone who has no other portable devices and likes to look things up a lot. Anyone with a smartphone will dismiss it immediately. It doesn't have the abilities to display any non-plain-text data (pictures, audio, math equations, etc.) from Wikipedia articles.

I was thinking it might be a good gift for a kid who's always asking questions.

Includes 4GB MicroSD card.
Order Total $21.74

This thing seems mostly useless, but requiring only 2 AAA batteries and ability to be a basic ebook reader, I can see how this thing can become very suddenly useful.

Mod a backlight into it and you're set.

how can you mod it to be an ebook reader? i cant find any instructions or mention of it anywhere. i would like a cheap compact ereader to compliment my big nice one that wont fit in my pocket. if you can do that this thing would be AWESOME.

how can you mod it to be an ebook reader? i cant find any instructions or mention of it anywhere. i would like a cheap compact ereader to compliment my big nice one that wont fit in my pocket. if you can do that this thing would be AWESOME.

Data is in XML, just need to convert the ebooks to XML and edit how it is organized on the sd card :D I have wiki already offline on my tablet though, so this is moot. It does seem like a handy device for some of our less then internet savvy parents or grandparents.

Data is in XML, just need to convert the ebooks to XML and edit how it is organized on the sd card :D I have wiki already offline on my tablet though, so this is moot. It does seem like a handy device for some of our less then internet savvy parents or grandparents.

hmm interesting. how hard do you think that is? like if i just convert an epub book to xml or something, will it just delete all the pictures and formatting etc and just leave the text or will it make all sorts of weird characters and line breaks and other errors?

DRMed ePub has been converted into all kinds of formats (probably applicable to non-DRMed ePub), I'm just saying this is a good point to start your research on how to do it. It is easy enough to study the file structure on these devices considering their storage medium of choice.

DRMed ePub has been converted into all kinds of formats (probably applicable to non-DRMed ePub), I'm just saying this is a good point to start your research on how to do it. It is easy enough to study the file structure on these devices considering their storage medium of choice.

yeah im tempted to get one just to eperiment with on an extra micro sdhc card i have, and then just put the wiki card back in if it doesnt work out. newegg charges an arm and a leg to ship to HI though. :(

Who'd have thought.. a device specifically for looking up wikipedia articles..

Back