Wikipedia Blackout Caused By Cut Cables

HardOCP News

[H] News
Call before you dig? What the hell does that mean? *snip*

An unknown person accidentally cut through the fibre cables connecting the site’s servers in Florida. The unintentional blackout meant that the online encyclopedia was offline for approximately two hours yesterday. A spokesman for the site denied that any foul play had happened.

All your eggs in one basket...

A website like that should geographically redundant. Do you think you could take Google down with a fiber cut? 10 cuts probably couldn't.

A website like that should geographically redundant. Do you think you could take Google down with a fiber cut? 10 cuts probably couldn't.

Google has just *slightly* more resources than Wikipedia, don't ya think?

Are you volunteering to pay for it?

Are you volunteering to pay for it?

Considering I've donated to Wikipedia before and will again...

...Yes?

Assuming they colocate anyways, it wouldn't be that hard to have multiple locations. I mean, even the Pirate Bay is multi-location now.

Google lives off of ad revenue in the billions. Wikipedia lives off of your $5 donation. You DID donate $5 to Wikipedia Foundation, did you?

Google lives off of ad revenue in the billions. Wikipedia lives off of your $5 donation. You DID donate $5 to Wikipedia Foundation, did you?

Even at a donation of $50, there is NOWHERE NEAR the revenue stream available to Wikipedia to have a multi-location setup for their services.

Even at a donation of $50, there is NOWHERE NEAR the revenue stream available to Wikipedia to have a multi-location setup for their services.

Use Amazon services. Of course, even they go down occasionally. They have a few different data centers (3 near my house) around the country. Probably doesn't cost that much more than what they are using now.

Don't like Amazon? Microsoft Azure. There are a couple others, too.

Unless they are operating their own data center and want full control of the hardware AND the software, they could go with a service.

I'm sure they have reasons not to, of course, and I don't mind. But, it's not out of reach.

I've had 2-3 instances of fiber cuts taking giant chunks of enterprise data offline in the last couple of years. All from construction.

This reminds me of the time I was working help desk for a large multinational organization that is in the aviation business (I probably should name them outright) that had their data center's main AND backup power lines severed at the same time by a construction crew. I think that mess up cost them somewhere near 6 figures in downtime and lost data alone. There is a reason why you don't but the main and backup power lines right next to each other. Lets just say that was not a fun couple of days at the help desk.

I've had 2-3 instances of fiber cuts taking giant chunks of enterprise data offline in the last couple of years. All from construction.

We should just stop all this construction. There are already too many buildings around and too many people living in them.

This reminds me of this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/06/georgian-woman-cuts-web-access

An elderly woman in the country of Georgia was scrounging for copper in her backyard and dismantled a cable that supplied internet access to 90% of the neighboring country of Armenia.

Alabama?

Georgia shares borders with Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama and I didn't think Internet penetration was all that widespread in Alabama outside of a few major cities where there is spotty dial-up.

Considering I've donated to Wikipedia before and will again...

...Yes?

Assuming they colocate anyways, it wouldn't be that hard to have multiple locations. I mean, even the Pirate Bay is multi-location now.
"I DONATED 5 DOLLARS TO WIKIPEDIA. I DEMAND UNINTERRUPTED SERVICE."

This is noting, it was only 2 hours.

Years ago we ware building a new main gas line in a large office building.
(the old Shell's main office in Holland build the 50s)

What you normally do in such a case, you lay a new pipe next to the old pipe, to do that, we needed a 10'' / 250mm hole drilled through a concrete wall.

After that we had the hole drilled with a [urrl=http://www.pakuya.com/upload/20110824/diamond_concrete_hole_saw_drill_bit.jpg] hollow diamond drill[/url], but when we took the core from the drill we suddenly found drilled true a steel pipe, in it ware 6 cable's made out of a lot of thin copper wires, me and my colleague ware looking at one and other, and saying "ooops that's properly no good", and yes those wires were for the about 1300 phones in the building, coming strait out from the internal switchboard.

And this was in 1985, this was before the days when mobiles were normal, so the hole main office of Shell was basically cut of from the world.

Panic was about the best to describe what happened after, and even the CEO from then the most powerful company in the world, came to see what we were doing, and ask, "Hey when can i call again".

It was 6 days of work before so everything worked as it should again.
(the wall that had to be cut open was a bearing wall, and had to be supported before we could cut it open)

When the PTT (the dutch Post Telephone and Telegraph company, similar as the US AT&T) had temporarily directly from main cable, made temporarily direct outside lines, That mend that everywhere through the hole building there ware telephone cables running every ware loose/duct taped to the ground.

One advantage if you are Shell, that you do not have to be cheep, even for a temporary solution.

All in all, as an apprentice that drilled the hole, it was pretty funny to see all those around you panic.

The last time about 5y ago, that i visited my old company, to talk to a old colleague, the drill core was still standing in the entrance of the building as a reminder. :D

It was the government installing new devices to intercept leaks that are sent to Wiki...uh oh..

sebastian%20cuts%20submarine%20cables.jpg

This is noting, it was only 2 hours.

Years ago we ware building a new main gas line in a large office building.
(the old Shell's main office in Holland build the 50s)

What you normally do in such a case, you lay a new pipe next to the old pipe, to do that, we needed a 10'' / 250mm hole drilled through a concrete wall.

After that we had the hole drilled with a [urrl=http://www.pakuya.com/upload/20110824/diamond_concrete_hole_saw_drill_bit.jpg] hollow diamond drill[/url], but when we took the core from the drill we suddenly found drilled true a steel pipe, in it ware 6 cable's made out of a lot of thin copper wires, me and my colleague ware looking at one and other, and saying "ooops that's properly no good", and yes those wires were for the about 1300 phones in the building, coming strait out from the internal switchboard.

And this was in 1985, this was before the days when mobiles were normal, so the hole main office of Shell was basically cut of from the world.

Panic was about the best to describe what happened after, and even the CEO from then the most powerful company in the world, came to see what we were doing, and ask, "Hey when can i call again".

It was 6 days of work before so everything worked as it should again.
(the wall that had to be cut open was a bearing wall, and had to be supported before we could cut it open)

When the PTT (the dutch Post Telephone and Telegraph company, similar as the US AT&T) had temporarily directly from main cable, made temporarily direct outside lines, That mend that everywhere through the hole building there ware telephone cables running every ware loose/duct taped to the ground.

One advantage if you are Shell, that you do not have to be cheep, even for a temporary solution.

All in all, as an apprentice that drilled the hole, it was pretty funny to see all those around you panic.

The last time about 5y ago, that i visited my old company, to talk to a old colleague, the drill core was still standing in the entrance of the building as a reminder. :D

You have terrible grammar dude lol, but I caught the jist of the story.

so.. was this a case of an undocumented upgrade, or someone just didn't look at the blueprint?
Don't know for sure, as i was still a apprentice in those days, but normally you make a plan, and submit it to the owner of the building, and he sings of on it.

As the old Shell building was from the early 50s, some one properly changed the the routing of the cable cover pipe/cable entry?, and did not make a revision on the main drawing, as building codes from the 50s ware not that strict, and people ware going with more or less, things that worked.

You have terrible grammar dude lol.
It could be, because English is not my native, I speak Dutch, German, English Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and a little Spanish, and write Dutch ware i come from, and Norwegian ware i live now for over 15 years nearly perfectly.

Never cared to much about about writing really proper English, as i don't have to write it daily, and if i do people just have to live with by bad grammar . :p

But the funny thing is most Americans don't even speak a second language, let alone write it, even do almost 20% of Americans speak Spanish at home, and Spanish is a hell of a lot easier to learn then Norwegian ;)

Back