WikiLeaks Furious At Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
So why is WikiLeaks mad at Google for handing over information about its employees to the FBI? I thought Assange and Co. were all about obtaining and releasing private info without consent. At least in this case Google was complying with a warrant.

In a letter written by one of the organization's lawyers, Michael Ratner of the Center For Constitutional Rights, WikiLeaks says that it is "astonished and disturbed" that it's just learning about this information request now. In particular its upset that the three staffers in question, Sarah Harrison, Kristinn Hrafnsson and Joseph Farrell were not able to prepare a legal defense that may have prevented their information from being shared.

The internetz is an open book these days. Also - touche', Steve. Well-played ;)

Consent was given though privacy policy which likely covers information given through legal proceeding. Could just not use google ;)

Got some news for you WikiLeaks... if you work for a company, you do not own the email. Google did not hand over anything private, it is their's do do as they wish. Not saying it's "right", but they complied with a federal warrant.

the government secretly funds google to hand over data

they are in a partnership in cyber warfare

Not really a secret, the government openly admits it pays companies for user information to various companies for quite some time now. Just no one cares.

Turn about is fair play, Wikibitches.

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

I think you get my point.

So why is WikiLeaks mad at Google for handing over information about its employees to the FBI? I thought Assange and Co. were all about obtaining and releasing private info without consent. At least in this case Google was complying with a warrant.

Hmm... wasn't that private information collected by the NSA on all Americans, including you? :rolleyes:

Turn about is fair play, Wikibitches.

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

I think you get my point.

Well said. Funny how all organizations like this have a double standard.

I believe it, you log into Google you search things they store and save the things you searched. You use chrome, it tracks everywhere you go. Easy to know everything about a person.

Wouldn't doubt it if apple and Microsoft had red hands either.

Wikileaks don't really have a right to complain about the data sharing, and reading the article it seems they are upset at the fact that they weren't informed about the data request put in Mar '12 until now, so that they can prepare a legal defense. Seems fair enough.

Wikileaks don't really have a right to complain about the data sharing, and reading the article it seems they are upset at the fact that they weren't informed about the data request put in Mar '12 until now, so that they can prepare a legal defense. Seems fair enough.
Got a court order there is no reason a person needs to be informed of possible criminal proceedings.

I thought Assange and Co. were all about obtaining and releasing private info without consent.
You have it backwards. They're concerned with releasing public information, regardless of whether a government classifies the information as their eyes only. Simply because a public entity states that information is for their own eyes only does not transform it into "private" information. Releasing information about private individuals, and their personal lives, is not something WikiLeaks has claimed to support and in fact specifically states that they redact information that would jeopardize the private lives of individuals and place them in danger.

Maybe wikileaks should have encrypted all that information. Not even nsa can crack aes256 (I believe that is the best encryption out there).

It's amazing what happens when your headquarters is on US Soil and you're served with a federal warrant and gag order.

So Wikileaks thinks Google should have disobeyed the gag order. Or the warrant. All i can say is - idiots :rolleyes:

I believe it, you log into Google you search things they store and save the things you searched. You use chrome, it tracks everywhere you go. Easy to know everything about a person.

Wouldn't doubt it if apple and Microsoft had red hands either.

Don't forget combining all that collected data with anything they can grab from your Android phone too. :)

It's amazing what happens when your headquarters is on US Soil and you're served with a federal warrant and gag order.

look at the bright side, least there some process instead of just stealing it

Why would they use Google? Asking for trouble if you ask me. And trouble they got.

You want stronger privacy? Look elsewhere. Simple.

The Wikileaks people actually believed their own bullshit; that being a "higher power". LOL.

And here we have another reason to avoid the 'cloud' bullshit. Control your own data and this situation won't happen.

You have it backwards. They're concerned with releasing public information, regardless of whether a government classifies the information as their eyes only. Simply because a public entity states that information is for their own eyes only does not transform it into "private" information. Releasing information about private individuals, and their personal lives, is not something WikiLeaks has claimed to support and in fact specifically states that they redact information that would jeopardize the private lives of individuals and place them in danger.

Except Wikileaks doesn't do that either. Hoist... Petard....

Got a court order there is no reason a person needs to be informed of possible criminal proceedings.

They definitely need a better system of informing people when a warrant related to them is served on a third party but the authorities only need to inform you about a search warrant when it is served, not when they are asking for it or before they have served it ... a warrant is only related to criminal proceedings when it is an arrest warrant ;)

I find it interesting that it took this long for Google to hand over the information on the Wiki people. Wikileaks is a dangerous site that has caused credible damage to our nation. Far more than the nasty emails between people at Sony ever did. And both leaks really are in the same vein.

You say an actor is an ass, ok the actor laughs it off. You call the ruler of a country an ass and you have to meet with him next week. Your negotaions for peace are screwed.

Yea. Wikileaks was an asshat move. Took no consideration for the lives of those it was impacting, or the good of a nation.

Not to say all of the information should have remained secret. There was a good amount of useful infomration that was exposed that really we should have had proper oversite on.

This is why if I discuss sensitive issues at work it is over the phone. Hopefully not all of that is recorded. (But with IP Phones I'm betting it is.)

I could empathize with them if they really were good guys, but, they're not and I can't.

Not really a secret, the government openly admits it pays companies for user information to various companies for quite some time now. Just no one cares.
People care, but whats the alternative? Host your own email server? We act like people really have a choice when it comes to these long winded 7 page user agreements.

When I turned on my Samsung S5 I had to agree to some BS... or what else, not have a cellphone? Its all quite ridiculous.

Back