Wii: Virtual Console sales stats?

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
Have VC download stats been posted anywhere? I'm hoping that before too long nintendo will wise up and lower the price on these a bit and was curious about number of sales of VC games at the different price levels and if a correlation could be drawn at all from that but I'd need data first.

I completely agree- the problem is, every download service we've had has been overpriced so they don't have much for comparison. There's no doubt in my mind they'd sell far more than double what they're selling now if they cut all prices in half. Someone's just gotta take the plunge first.

I wouldn't mind the service so much if they weren't posting exact dupes of old games. At least the 360's old games have been typically updated with online play and higher resolutions.
For an exact dupe of an old game, it's a little much. I can get a SNES/NES/Genesis and 30 games for $20 at a pawn shop or even less at a yard sale. Since these are identical, it's tougher to justify not doing that instead.

The prices of VC games have been voiced up and down over at the Nintendo forums. They are moderated by NoA employees, so hopefully some higher-up at NoA knows about it. Whether they make a move or not is anybody's guess.

I don't have a Wii yet but the VC games are very steep prices. Hope they can fix this or someone figures out how to run ROM's on the thing. VC is one of the main reasons I want a Wii.

I'll jump in and agree that the prices are too high. I still haven't bought a VC game because the only two I'm currently interested in (Altered Beast and Golden Axe) I have on Genesis and if I wanted to play them that badly, I'd just plug in my old Sega.

But drop those NES/Master System games to $3 and the SNES/Genesis games to $5 and I'd be all over it.

As it stands now, the only game I'll buy (if and when it's released) is Bionic Commando.

So, for someone without a Wii still, whats the going prices of VC games. Thats a huge reason I want a Wii is the older content.

I have spent 40-60 bucks on VC games so far... Guess im not helping :D

(just for reference, $5 NES, $8 SNES/Genisis Turbo-Grafix16 $6 and n64$10) :eek:

even worse in the uk
n64 is £10 and megadrive is £8
what a rip off, in the uk they need to be £5 for n64 and £3 for megadrive, ididnt even bother looking at nes etc.

even worse in the uk
n64 is £10 and megadrive is £8
what a rip off, in the uk they need to be £5 for n64 and £3 for megadrive, ididnt even bother looking at nes etc.

A bit ot, but didn't I read that some of the localized versions still had some quirks (I think graphical issues) that were fixed in other releases, but nintendo chose to release the original, crippled version instead?

update: here it is

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, the VC games are literally *just* exact ROMS of the old games and that the Wii's emulator software simply maps functions to their newer controllers. Pretty much anything wrong or glitchy in the original release should be there in all it's glory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, the VC games are literally *just* exact ROMS of the old games and that the Wii's emulator software simply maps functions to their newer controllers. Pretty much anything wrong or glitchy in the original release should be there in all it's glory.

Right, but they could have easily given them the NTSC version which did not suffer from the same problem. The Wii is emulating it anyway, so it doesn't matter. They just wanted to preserve their localization (though to be honest I have no idea why).

Also, it would be more than possible for them to implement online multiplayer support through the emulator without changing the roms in any way whatsoever. This is already available in other emulators, and it all a lot of us are asking for.

Right, but they could have easily given them the NTSC version which did not suffer from the same problem. The Wii is emulating it anyway, so it doesn't matter. They just wanted to preserve their localization (though to be honest I have no idea why).

Also, it would be more than possible for them to implement online multiplayer support through the emulator without changing the roms in any way whatsoever. This is already available in other emulators, and it all a lot of us are asking for.

Yup, I realize that. I used to play Street Fighter arcade ROMs via Final Burn. It's a little buggy, but more or less works.

The pricing is about on par with what the same type of cell phone game costs, I do feel its a little high but it could be worse.

I just wish they would put out some more games, I liked some of the NES games and all, but cannot wait to get some of the newer n64 stuff going.

It's too bad that the virtual console games can only be played on the particular Wii that purchased them. It would be nice to take an SD card full of games to a friend's house.

Bomberman and Streets of Rage FTW!

A bit ot, but didn't I read that some of the localized versions still had some quirks (I think graphical issues) that were fixed in other releases, but nintendo chose to release the original, crippled version instead?

update: here it is

Ok maybe but not far off 2000 points in the UK is £17.99 and sonic the hedghog 1 ( a 15 year old game) is 800 points

It's too bad that the virtual console games can only be played on the particular Wii that purchased them. It would be nice to take an SD card full of games to a friend's house.

Bomberman and Streets of Rage FTW!

QFT. This is one of the reasons why a persistent online service would have been nice, since this could have been used for verification, like it does for xbox live. VC is a great idea but the implementation leaves much to be desired.

I just wish we knew what games were coming out every week. There is a little hint on XBLA if you read Joystic and such, but nothing like that with the VC. I bought R-Type when it came out, and then the next week they released the better R-Type 3 for the same price! I would have much preffered to wait for 3 because that one was my favorite.

Back