Wii U First Impressions

Blkout

2[H]4U
There's several Wii U threads right now but we really need just one to discuss first impressions of the console itself and the games. If any mods could please pull some of those posts from the other one or two threads that have information related to this topic that would be a great help. Don't need the Wii U strategies to getting a console cluttered with first impressions.

Also, from now on, it would be a great help if everyone would post their impressions here.

Here's my impression you already read, from the other thread, also the pictures from thread, to start things off:

In my own opinion, it's worth it. But different situations come into play of course. The only games I'll be playing in the next month are Hitman and AC3 on the PC, and a PS Vita game. I'll be done with those rather quick since I've been anticipating them for a while (minus Persona 4, not going to be done with that for a while). I wanted something new and refreshing, so I got the Wii U. I admit, I was skeptical when I started reading about it, but once you hold that tablet controller in your hand, it just feels "good". Hard to describe. I bought my games at Toys R Us and if you buy one, you get another 40% off, so that was really nice.

I've been playing Mario with 2 other people, actually played 4 hours yesterday and we barely dented it (we suck ass haha), and the hours flew by. I'd say, if you have others to play with, get it, if you have no one to play with? Still get it.

I've also got ZombieU which seems like it's been getting some nice solid scores, and it just plain looks like FUN. The addition of the tablet touchscreen thing coming into play, and the fact that zombies kick ass, it just makes it a must buy. I have to admit, I haven't read too much on what else is out right now, but these 2 games are on my 'to-do' list so to speak, so I'm focusing on just them right now. Pikmin 3 when it comes out in a few months (spring I believe). I believe Dremic was talking about Trine as well, and that looks awesome.

All in all...a solid purchase. It'll get better as well, I'm sure of it.

Also can't comment on Nintendo Land, but it does look fun from what I've seen.

photofw.jpg

96z0g9.jpg

I'm curious how people would compare the graphics to the other consoles as well as a HTPC. Is it truly a generation above the PS3 and 360 or is is more of an incremental step up?

I'm curious how people would compare the graphics to the other consoles as well as a HTPC. Is it truly a generation above the PS3 and 360 or is is more of an incremental step up?

Hard to say, I'm curious what ZombieU will look like on my 42", but Mario looked spectacular. Colors really popped and everything felt very well done. I think it's great looking, but it's no Heavy Rain on PS3, that's for sure.

There's several Wii U threads right now but we really need just one to discuss first impressions of the console itself and the games. If any mods could please pull some of those posts from the other one or two threads that have information related to this topic that would be a great help. Don't need the Wii U strategies to getting a console cluttered with first impressions.

Also, from now on, it would be a great help if everyone would post their impressions here.

so far yesterdays woes have me feeling underwhelmed.

i am going to spend some quality time with it today. and ill probably buy a tv on black friday too... i think that will help :) stupid monitor

Normally I'm a Day-1 sort of gamer, but something about this system just didn't do it for me.
I'm still on board for an eventual purchase once they give me a new Mario Kart or Smash Brothers (or Street Fighter for that matter), but I just don't know yet. None of the launch titles really spoke to me, and I'm still curious about the graphics.

Normally I'm a Day-1 sort of gamer, but something about this system just didn't do it for me.
I'm still on board for an eventual purchase once they give me a new Mario Kart or Smash Brothers (or Street Fighter for that matter), but I just don't know yet. None of the launch titles really spoke to me, and I'm still curious about the graphics.

super smash is gonna be AMMMAZING. Zelda will be dope too.

even if those are the only games i buy for it, it'll be worth it. although I am sure nintendo is gonna get on the third party support

Two best examples here are Uncharted 3 vs. ZombiU. Want to know which one wins the graphical fidelity and performance crown? It begins with a "U" and ends with "ncharted 3." Not going to know how much this surpasses the 360 or PS3 with regards to graphics until a bit further in its life when developers learn the ins and outs of the architecture better. Granted, NSMBU looks damn nice on a screen larger than 40". So does ZombiU.

I'm not expecting "next-generation" graphics from the Wii U, though. I'm expecting a different experience, which I'm getting. Can easily up the challenge on NSMBU by putting my girlfriend's 4-year old in charge of the gamepad and inputting blocks, for instance. Standing up and spinning in a circle, looking retarded, scanning for stuff in ZombiU. I was not a fan of the Wiimote with conventional games like platformers and adventure games. Never finished Twilight Princess or SM Galaxy because I didn't like the controls.

Two best examples here are Uncharted 3 vs. ZombiU. Want to know which one wins the graphical fidelity and performance crown? It begins with a "U" and ends with "ncharted 3." Not going to know how much this surpasses the 360 or PS3 with regards to graphics until a bit further in its life when developers learn the ins and outs of the architecture better. Granted, NSMBU looks damn nice on a screen larger than 40". So does ZombiU.

I'm not expecting "next-generation" graphics from the Wii U, though. I'm expecting a different experience, which I'm getting. Can easily up the challenge on NSMBU by putting my girlfriend's 4-year old in charge of the gamepad and inputting blocks, for instance. Standing up and spinning in a circle, looking retarded, scanning for stuff in ZombiU. I was not a fan of the Wiimote with conventional games like platformers and adventure games. Never finished Twilight Princess or SM Galaxy because I didn't like the controls.

Wait you actually have to GET UP to play ZombieU?

Wait you actually have to GET UP to play ZombieU?

Haha, you don't HAVE to get up. My back is extremely sore for various reasons so instead of twisting and aggravating it from a sitting position I stand up and turn. Plus, it's more efficient than releasing the scan button, turning in game, and scanning the other side of a room.

super smash is gonna be AMMMAZING. Zelda will be dope too.
HD Zelda and HD 3D Mario would probably convince me to buy the system, but I'll wait until those games actually come out (Zelda in particular will probably be years down the road).

Haha, you don't HAVE to get up. My back is extremely sore for various reasons so instead of twisting and aggravating it from a sitting position I stand up and turn. Plus, it's more efficient than releasing the scan button, turning in game, and scanning the other side of a room.

Oh I see. How's the combat? Is it eerie by definition? Any bumps in the night etc.?

Oh I see. How's the combat? Is it eerie by definition? Any bumps in the night etc.?

What I played in under a half hour... slow. It's eerie of course, due to the unknowns of an area for the first time. It's super dark and your flashlight is your worst enemy if you're trying to sneak by. My want and will to explore EVERYTHING makes it a tedious game for me at times, though. Combat is okay. You have to ready your melee weapon with the left trigger, and swing with the right trigger. Slow-pace combat. Have not used a gun yet. Ammo looks to be scarce at the beginning and would hate to waste it on a straggling zombie.

What I played in under a half hour... slow. It's eerie of course, due to the unknowns of an area for the first time. It's super dark and your flashlight is your worst enemy if you're trying to sneak by. My want and will to explore EVERYTHING makes it a tedious game for me at times, though. Combat is okay. You have to ready your melee weapon with the left trigger, and swing with the right trigger. Slow-pace combat. Have not used a gun yet. Ammo looks to be scarce at the beginning and would hate to waste it on a straggling zombie.

Oh man, that just sounds great to me. I love that slowness in scary games, just makes me feel that much more tense. Itching to play it in...5 hours.

Im also a day 1 buyer of most of nintendo console... but the wii U is an accessory festival. 349 for the deluxe edition? think again!

You need nunchucks , wii motion plus , wii remotes .... yada yada yada :/

still interested at some points

Im also a day 1 buyer of most of nintendo console... but the wii U is an accessory festival. 349 for the deluxe edition? think again!

You need nunchucks , wii motion plus , wii remotes .... yada yada yada :/

still interested at some points

Extra controllers are part of any console this is nothing new, Xbox controllers are 50 each and same for PlayStation. My Xbox was 300 plus kinect 99 plus three extra controllers 150. PlayStation 250 plus three controllers another 150 plus move another 100 bucks, no damn different .

I am loving my Wii u games are fun system is nice and easy to use and getting along nicely with its new neighbors the Xbox and PlayStation and there all shiny and black so they match :)

If you have one I'm sure your enjoying it if you don't keep on hating.
Mario u is awesome, zombie u is better survival horror than re6 , Nintendo land is great family fun, scribblenauts is fun.I traded my Xbox batman for the Wii u one and it is the better version looks better and gamepad ads more to the gameplay.

Game on everyone.

Edit: I've spent more than all I just listed on video cards alone to game on PC so its not not to pricey to console game.

Last edited:
Extra controllers are part of any console this is nothing new, Xbox controllers are 50 each and same for PlayStation. My Xbox was 300 plus kinect 99 plus three extra controllers 150. PlayStation 250 plus three controllers another 150 plus move another 100 bucks, no damn different .

I am loving my Wii u games are fun system is nice and easy to use and getting along nicely with its new neighbors the Xbox and PlayStation and there all shiny and black so they match :)

Mario u is awesome, zombie u is better survival horror than re6 , Nintendo land is great family fun, scribblenauts is fun.I traded my Xbox batman for the Wii u one and it is the better version looks better and gamepad ads more to the gameplay.

Game on everyone.

lets exchange some nintendo network ids?

mine is Dremic

Game on everyone.

Can I use regular Wii Motes? Or do I need wii motes with motion plus?

Can I use regular Wii Motes? Or do I need wii motes with motion plus?

Sorry I have not tryed them I only have motion plus ones, but I'll post back on thanksgiving my sister is bringing her Wii notes and some games and her are not motion plus.

Well, I've got about an hour or two when I get home from work today to decide if I want to buy the ZombieU game, I'm going to stop by Toysrus and pick up NSMB so if I buy them together I get 40% off the ZombieU game. Still got to pay full price for NSMB regardless if I pick up ZombieU. Guess I'll scour the net for videos and reviews before I make a decision. At 40% off, certainly I could resell it on eBay used and break even I would think.

Sorry I have not tryed them I only have motion plus ones, but I'll post back on thanksgiving my sister is bringing her Wii notes and some games and her are not motion plus.

I only have regular Wiimotes, so yes, they work.

I only have regular Wiimotes, so yes, they work.

That is great to know since those can be found super cheap second hand, BTW not that many people use them but the Wii u's internet browser is hands down the fastest browser of all current consoles.

That is great to know since those can be found super cheap second hand, BTW not that many people use them but the Wii u's internet browser is hands down the fastest browser of all current consoles.

Hell I'd use that thing with the GamePad, could be fun. Man I can't wait to get my ass home. I've barely got anything to do since most of my shit isn't due until late next week, and I've finished all projects for this week. Ah the life of a programmer.

wii u live stream on IGN might be worth peepin

.I traded my Xbox batman for the Wii u one and it is the better version looks better and gamepad ads more to the gameplay.

Have you played the Wii U batman yet? I can't see the controller being anything more than an annoyance in that game.

Why would I want to look down at my controller constantly? Would pull me out of the action.

I talked with a friend who got one and he said he's been pretty impressed with the graphics on the tablet.
He also mentioned that the table web functionality was also very snappy and responsive. He has an iPad 3 and he said it was comparable if not better in some ways (in spite of no multi-touch).

Anyone else feel that way?

I talked with a friend who got one and he said he's been pretty impressed with the graphics on the tablet.
He also mentioned that the table web functionality was also very snappy and responsive. He has an iPad 3 and he said it was comparable if not better in some ways (in spite of no multi-touch).

Anyone else feel that way?

Sure do, I've got the 'new' iPad (iPad 3, not the 4th gen new one), and it's quite good. I'd say the iPad is of course better, but the GamePad screen is very impressive, considering its cost.

Isn't the tablet only show graphics generated by the console itself and sent over a 'local wifi link' between it and the console. So the graphics are not generated by the tablet but, by the console. Either at a lower resolution because of the screen size..

Isn't the tablet only show graphics generated by the console itself and sent over a 'local wifi link' between it and the console. So the graphics are not generated by the tablet but, by the console. Either at a lower resolution because of the screen size..

I was under the impression that the gamepad itself generates its own 480P, while the TV is doing 1080P (potential to, depending on your TV). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Might be more info in the spec thread.

im pretty sure its this.

gamepad isnt generating anything on its own, its just a screen.

pretty sure this is the case because a 2nd gamepad means 30 fps not 60.

As a gamer I'm giddy with a new console launch and pics of said new console.....
Wii U particularly though ~ it's a no-sell for me. I have no interest until it's rock bottom dirt cheap. I won't be buying one until it's long into it's lifecycle and probably $99.99. (Yes I know I'll be waiting a long time.)
I'd be buying one for Nintendo only and particularly Zelda or Metroid....Mario I could take it or leave it. Otherwise I have no desire on another Nintendo console for anything 3rd party based.

I'm more interested in what and how much Microsoft tries to do with SmartGlass (comparatively).
As of right now any money I set aside for gaming goes towards a new graphics card first and a Ps4 second...but that's another topic so I'll cut that thought there.

I am a sucker for some new Mario action... just takes me back...

Just don't know if I will pick this up or not. Would like to see more reviews on how it plays.

I HATED THE Wii mote, playing zelda waiving my hand around sucked... never even bothered to look if I could change it.

I am a sucker for some new Mario action... just takes me back...

Just don't know if I will pick this up or not. Would like to see more reviews on how it plays.

I HATED THE Wii mote, playing zelda waiving my hand around sucked... never even bothered to look if I could change it.

honestly man the gamepad is dope. i find myself not even using the tv. i climb into a comfy spot in my bed and get down. its nioce.

Wait Wait Wait....

IT STREAMS THE GAME TO THE GAMEPAD???

Super Mario Wii... In my bed??? With WiiU upstairs...

DO WANT!!!

But how does it play? Turning the old WiiMote sideways was just awkard and I never liked the nunchuck in one hand and wiimote in the other either.

Wait Wait Wait....

IT STREAMS THE GAME TO THE GAMEPAD???

Super Mario Wii... In my bed??? With WiiU upstairs...

DO WANT!!!

Not sure if sarcasm...or...

But honestly, it's nice, and the screen representation of the game looks excellent as well. I did some of that Boost mode shit, where I was the guy with the gamepad, and 2 others were playing. I never even looked at the TV, I just focused on the pad and setting up blocks so they could reach certain areas, and saving them from doom.

Back