Wii U error code 118-0516 trying to play Mario Kart 8

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I can't join any other people because I just get that error. From what I read online I have to put the Wii in the DMZ. Whaaa??!? Why would they do this? I have a double NAT, I don't even know if that would work, is there not an easier way like just forwarding a port or something? I HAVE to use my ISP's router so I don't have a choice by having a double NAT.

Why do you think you have to double NAT? Turn off the DHCP server on your wifi "router" and connect your ISP's DSL/cable modem to your wifi router to one of its switch ports. Do not connect it to the WAN port. Your wifi router will now simply act as an access point.

Or:

Leave your wiring in place and turn on transparent bridging on your ISP's DSL/cable modem. Set up PPPoE on your wifi router.

Or:

Get a DSL/cable modem/switch/access point combo that does everything you need.

It's the way it's setup, there are ways around it but it's rather complex. Basically need to stick a managed switch so I can setup the proper vlans, but the TV has more to it than just being a vlan, the packets use a special kind of prioritization and it wont pass otherwise. I suppose I could work on setting that up as a start, but it still wont solve the issue of the Wii not working behind a NAT.

But either way, the issue is still the fact that it wants me to put the Wii on the DMZ. There has to be a better way. That is a complete boneheaded security risk. I was also reading a huge list of ports that have to be forwarded including every single UDP port. That can't be right, can it? That is a completely retarded design if it really is the requirements. My VPN server runs on a UPD port, I can't just forward every single one of them to a single device. It uses lot of TCP ports too such as 80 and 443. I'm already using those for other things.

Is there a way I can somehow route it through a VPN tunnel to an internet IP that I buy or something? Like if I get a VPS and setup a VPN tunnel to it, and it would listen off the VPS? Is that possible?

Another thing, it works fine for my friend and he did not have to do anything special. And he was the one hosting! If anything he's the one that should have to port forward stuff. As a client I really don't understand why I have to port forward or do anything special.

Last edited:
Eliminated the actiontec router, still not working with single NAT. Did a packet capture while I tried to connect and it is indeed trying to connect directly to my friend's IP address.

This is a HUGE security risk that they did it this way, because you know how some gamers can be and rage against people, now they can also know your IP! I work for an ISP and it's a huge issue with Xbox live. People get DDoSed and stuff lol.

Now I need to find a port forward list, I found one and should have saved it... but everything I find also contradicts that list and says no ports are required, so really strange. I will just set them as a schedule in pfsense and open forward them on a as needed basis. I hate having to port forward this much stuff but if that fixes it then I guess it's the only way. It sounds like this is coded like a traditional server-client game and nothing more sophisticated than that.

Or it might be using upnp or something weird like that, which is usually advised to turn off due to security.

This is the port list I found online:

TCP: 80, 443, 6667, 12400, 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920 UDP: (Range) 1-65535

Who the hell writes a program that requires that many ports, and standard ones at that? 80 and 443, really? Need to figure out a way so I can flip an on/off switch to forward all these ports, as a lot of them conflict with other stuff.

Last edited:
The Wii U has no ethernet port, so using Wifi. Would be nice if it did have an ethernet port though just to at least rule out a wireless issue.

The Wii U has no ethernet port, so using Wifi. Would be nice if it did have an ethernet port though just to at least rule out a wireless issue.

So, I know it sounds unrelated, but do you have wireless "G" enabled? I was having problems with the wife's 3DS on an "N" only network yesterday, and enabled G... it connected immediately and had no issues after that.

Just a thought, since similar issues were on my mind. But year, Ethernet is the way to go if you don't mind grabbing an adaptor.

I have N via a unifi access point, it connects, I can download updates and stuff. I can get as far as being able to connect to the room, but after I'm done picking my vehicle and stuff, that's when I get the error.

I had this same problem with mario kart 8. I had to install a 3rd ethernet port into my pfsense box and buy a usb to ethernet lan adapter from amazon for the wii u. I created a seperate network in pfsense on the 3rd interface and created a rule to all any port to pass through the wan to that dmz network and then created rules to prevent any communication from the lan to the dmz or dmz to lan communications. This allowed me to play mario kart 8 online and btw the wii u wifi sucks ass the lan adapter is way faster and more responsive when using the wii u online.

I had this same problem with mario kart 8. I had to install a 3rd ethernet port into my pfsense box and buy a usb to ethernet lan adapter from amazon for the wii u. I created a seperate network in pfsense on the 3rd interface and created a rule to all any port to pass through the wan to that dmz network and then created rules to prevent any communication from the lan to the dmz or dmz to lan communications. This allowed me to play mario kart 8 online and btw the wii u wifi sucks ass the lan adapter is way faster and more responsive when using the wii u online.

That's what I'm afraid I'll have to do. Problem is, I am using some ports like a UDP port for my VPN server and 443 for SSH, so I can't just forward every single port to it. I guess I'll have to keep swapping my settings around for every time I want to play, then put it back. Seems dirty.

Do you HAVE to go the separate ethernet port route or can you just use a vlan?

Here is another suggestion. Set up a proxy server on your router and have the Wii U connect through that. I don't know it will work, but it's worth a try.

I was thinking something like that, VPN to a VM on my online server (have multiple IPs) then dedicate one of those IPs to it. Basically some kind of relaying.

I just got my Ethernet to USB adapter and it worked flawlessly without much configuration. I tried to join a random online game and it worked! I will then try to play with my friend next time he's around.

Well I have luck! I had to bypass my pfsense firewall altogether and it works now. I have it plugged into the ISP provided router. If no ports had to be forwarded really not sure why it makes a difference though. Was able to host and join games. Just glad it works.

yes you can do Vlans but probably want to make sure your nics support vlans and it helps to have a smart switch or switches capable to do the vlan tagging. I just like using a hard ethernet port instead

Already got vlans and two 24 port dell switches, but I was going to just create another one. Right now I just patched it right to the ISP supplied router though, so bypassing my switch and firewall entirely. Still find it odd that it worked though considering I did not even have to do any port forwarding. So really not sure how it's communicating and what it's doing that my firewall was not allowing.

I called nintendo and they wouldn't give me any specific port information and told me to just put the nintendo wii u in a DMZ and point the wii u's DNS to google's 8.8.8.8.

Back