Wii sales numbers

kumquat

Supreme [H]ardness
I see a lot of people with numbers showing that the Wii barely outsold the PS3 on launch day. 300-400k PS3s, 600-700k Wiis.

Here are the actual #s from my local stores:

Best Buy:
28 PS3s
112 Wiis

Circuit City:
4 PS3s
24 Wiis

Wal-Mart #1:
6 PS3s
36 Wiis

Wal-Mart #2:
4 PS3s
24 Wiis

Target #1:
0 PS3s
42 Wiis

Target #2:
0 PS3s
42 Wiis

Toys R Us:
6 PS3s
40 Wiis

Every single one of these stores sold out before opening.

Looking at these numbers, and hearing the same ratios from person after person across the US, does it seem to anyone else that there must be at *least* 3-4 times as many Wiis out there right now as PS3s?

[Interesting about Toys R Us: their PS3 estimate went down by 2 on launch day, whereas the Wii estimate went up by 20 on launch day. 8 PS3 and 20 Wii preorders were taken.]

undoubtedly there are far, FAR more Wii's than PS3's, and far more happy Wii owners than happy PS3 owners, given the sloppy, unpolished nature of that overpriced beast.

The target I got mine at had 210 Wii's and 8 PS3's. I was #153 in line for Wii :D

The # of Ps3's sold due to a under supply is not ane excuse, they should have produced more.

Scotch77 said:
The # of Ps3's sold due to a under supply is not ane excuse, they should have produced more.

If they had designed it with the purpose of being a great *game system* instead of trying to shovel their nonsense Betamax 2.0 format down peoples' throats, they could have. Of course, that wouldn't have made up for the shoddy online "service", non-unified friends lists, downscaling of content and lack of rumble, but at least it would have been $200 cheaper :D

to keep this thread from degenerating (whoops, it already has. ZING!) I will post my local PS3/Wii unit numbers.
Wal*Mart:
8 PS3
20 Wii

GameCrazy:
6 (?) PS3
20 Wii

Hastings:
0 PS3
6 Wii

Shopko:
0 PS3
8 Wii

Costco:
0 PS3
40 Wii

So, in our town of 36,000 people, 14 PS3's were sold, and 94 Wii's were sold. That's quite a big difference. And just for the record, our local GameCrazy had 50 Xbox 360's, and Wal*Mart had 20 Xbox 360's on launch day (no other store had any). So, 70 360's, 94 Wii's, and yet only 14 PS3's? What the hell?!

Don't forget Nintendo makes money on consoles and games whereas Sony and Microsoft have started the trends of losing money on the console and lots of it.

Despite the higher cost of the PS3 Nintendo is making more profit they even made alot of profit off the gamecube :).

Guess what console has sold most in the past days?

Xbox 360, pwnt :eek: pushing of them with bundles when people couldn't get the others is taking advantage of the shortages.

MrBojangels said:
Guess what console has sold most in the past days?

Xbox 360, pwnt :eek: pushing of them with bundles when people couldn't get the others is taking advantage of the shortages.

where does it say this...? Somehow I doubt they have sold 1/6th of their units sold in the past few days.

The Xbox 360 is actually supposedly now a profitable system just by selling the console.

The Wii has been making money out the door.

A lot of stores around me only had 10-20 wiis. 600-700k sounds about right considering they said yesterday they plan to ship 1 million to the americas by early december.

Humble_Magii said:
Don't forget Nintendo makes money on consoles and games whereas Sony and Microsoft have started the trends of losing money on the console and lots of it.

Despite the higher cost of the PS3 Nintendo is making more profit they even made a lot of profit off the gamecube :).
Actually, I've seen reports of MS making about $75 on each 360 sold now, due to component price reductions. Though, they still started off in the red, and the PS3 is losing $200-$300 (depending on which model we're talking about).

Yes, Nintendo made the most money overall last generation. :D

the ps3 number is kinda funny. i think thats the total shipped to the us. and there are an estimated 60k on ebay from that number lol

The main reason, obviously, for the higher wii numbers is because nintendo shipped more. Thats all really. There is just as much demand for the ps3, although its ridiculously over priced and i would never buy one, as there is for a wii. At my local target 5 ps3's shipped and there were 300p people lined up for it, and 43 wii's shipped and there were 100 people there. I mean, wii was poorly marketed vs the ps3. I sold my spot in line for the wii for 90$ btw. Made the wait worth it.

In case if anybody did not know, Amazon will have 1,000 Xbox360 Core systems going for $100.00 a pop on Thanksgiving.

tazzmissionx said:
IAmazon will have 1,000 Xbox360 Core systems going for $100.00 a pop on Thanksgiving.
I estimate they'll be gone in 60 seconds... :D

(Ok probably more like 7)

When Amazon let the Wii's loose on Sunday, they offically said it was sold out in less than a minute, but I don't know how much they had to sell.

nexgenwars.com shows the Wii having not even sold twice as many as the PS3.

What bunk. Every store local to me has sold at *least* four times as many Wiis as PS3s at this point.

kumquat said:
That site is based on educated guesses, not sales figures. One of those educated guesses was how many PS3s / Wiis were shipped in the first place. Figures no-one bar Sony / Nintendo knows.

who would have expected less?

it's cheaper and much more readily available, or there were more to sell in the first place, of course there are more Wii's out there, alot of people who would have bought PS3's or 360's bought the Wii instead

The funny thing is, my friend gave me a call at about 2PM yesterday from my local walmart saying someone RETURNED their wii. He asked me if I wanted it and i said "HELL YEA". A half an hour later I was playing Twilight Princess :D

But, back to the main topic, my walmart had 27 ( was supposed to be 58 but they didnt get some of them) and 4 PS3s

Well, I live in a fairly small city only about 22K people here, anyways these where the numbers I gathered at launch, some places might have recieved more shipments since then but I havn't not checked.

Walmart
12 PS3's
20 Wii's

Hastings
0 Ps3s
13 Wii's

Kmart
2 Ps3's
6 Wii's.

so total it was 14 Ps3's and 39 Wii's, that means only 2.8 wii's for every ps3.

Also, I talked to alot of the people in the walmart line, and although I only went there for an hour beforehand to talk to the people buying it and hoping I could somehow get one (didn't work btw), anyways about 5 of the people I talked to where buying it for Christmas gifts, and a couple others where just buying it cause they thought it would be a good party console, I should of went there a couple hours before 11PM and I would of scored one though.

On a side note I one guy told me he wasn't buying a ps3 cause 600$ is to much for a console, he said he would rather use it to buy parts for a pc.

kumquat said:

What bunk. Every store local to me has sold at *least* four times as many Wiis as PS3s at this point.

Yeah, there's something wrong with that site. They had the Wii at 700k+ a few days ago and then pretty much halved the number. I don't trust the numbers on there.

I'll quote myself...

Psychotext said:
That site is based on educated guesses, not sales figures. One of those educated guesses was how many PS3s / Wiis were shipped in the first place. Figures no-one bar Sony / Nintendo knows.

Have a look at the forums on their site for more info.

Psychotext said:
I'll quote myself...

Have a look at the forums on their site for more info.

Have a look anywhere on the internet and you can see that those figures are wrong... They're "educated guess" isn't even close...

After finally having the chance to experience it myself, as well as see the 360 and PS3 right next to each other, I have to really like the Wii. Obviously not as powerful, but really fun. Then checkout line snaked back to this side of the store and the Wii is the only system people were excited about. Everyone, not just your typical gamer. Its like the 360 and PS3 weren't even there.

sabrewolf732 said:
93 vs 6, plus we got 27 more in today. So far it's 120 vs 6, gg sony.
That's crazy... Sony are going to have a real problem soon because everyone will be talking about their Wii and playing the great games that have been released recently on the 360.

Back