Wii Remote Strapped To Real Guitar Is Cool

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check out the video of this guy jammin’ with a Wii remote strapped to his guitar. Imagine all the chicks this guy is going to get now! Alright, maybe not chicks but he’ll definitely save some money on guitar strings.

Not only is this incredibly interesting but his music is ridiculously good.

According to last.fm:
"Vivian Darkbloom is an alternative rock trio from Cambridge, Massachusetts. Their style continues to evolve, but its always edgy, energetic, and charmingly cynical. Accordingly, reviewers have likened their sound to Ted Leo, Wolf Parade, and The Strokes.
Since their inception in 2006, Vivian Darkbloom has performed throughout the Northeast, from NYC to Portland. They’ve shared the stage with national Indie/Major label acts, and have performed at such venues as The Delancey in NYC and T.T. The Bear’s Place in Cambridge."

Link to 3 free song downloads (just click Free Mp3 and it downloads)
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Vivian+Darkbloom/most_played_songs

OT:
There should be a sticky somewhere about not being able to edit a post in the news section.
If I got a nickel for every time I saw this line :"For some reason I can't edit my above post."
I'd have maybe $10.35. :)

this i really gotta test on my guitar :D its a plain one without a whammmy ...

my bro got a nice expensive ibaneze so i take it sometimes :D well, nice vid, amazing what people do with the wiimote

Yeah so much for the "flashy gimmicky" syndrome of the Wii Remote.

Now we need to see what can be done with the sixaxis PS3 remote???????? Besides throw it in the trash when it breaks I mean.

There are some crazy, crazy sounds that have been used in the development of instruments - think back to the 50's and the beginnings of guitar distortion, the 60's and electric pianos and synthesizers, or the 70's and computer synth sounds.

That's what this reminds me of. This guy is way ahead of his time, especially in the sense that he's gotten this thing to sound good. Major kudos? He can be semi-seriously compared to Sousa.

This guy is way ahead of his time, especially in the sense that he's gotten this thing to sound good. Major kudos? He can be semi-seriously compared to Sousa.

i'm sure that's up for debate. my old man comes to mind. ;) for those who can't appreciate digital noise, it's an excellent example of how wide a texture pad is available.

WHat was sad is that only 1000 people had seen the video when i linked it today...:(

The good thing is that at least he will get a bit of exposure, kudos for his efforts from the [H] crew ;)

i'm sure that's up for debate. my old man comes to mind. ;) for those who can't appreciate digital noise, it's an excellent example of how wide a texture pad is available.

Sure it's debatable. Here's the logic ('cuz I love debates).

I say semi-comparable because innovated with a specific musical purpose. Sousa didn't invent anything, he just took an existing instrument and modified it in order to slightly alter its sound and usability. Same here. To be far more comparable, this fella would have to actually write music geared to take advantage of the nuances of his innovation (the parallel being Sousa's marches).He could receive validation by others copying him and/or his music.

Now we need to see what can be done with the sixaxis PS3 remote???????? Besides throw it in the trash when it breaks I mean.

Nothing the Wiimote can't. Both the Wiimote and the Sixaxis have 3 axis accelerometers. The Wiimote's I believe are a bit better (more sensitive), but the Wiimote also has a nicer package (its shape is much better suited for being mounted) and a host of other features (IR, built in memory, rumble, speaker, etc...). Both use bluetooth, and I know the Wiimote uses the standard HID profile (so no drivers or hacks to get it to work), I'm not positive if the sixaxis is the same in that regard (I would assume so, though)

So for projects like this, the Sixaxis is simply a striped down Wiimote that costs the same.

More interesting and handy mod than sticking a KP3, Kaoss Pad or Kaossilator on a guitar, this is. How long until we get Wiimote controlled homebrew clones of the Boss SYB series of pedals?

Not only is this incredibly interesting but his music is ridiculously good.

According to last.fm:
"Vivian Darkbloom is an alternative rock trio from Cambridge, Massachusetts. Their style continues to evolve, but its always edgy, energetic, and charmingly cynical. Accordingly, reviewers have likened their sound to Ted Leo, Wolf Parade, and The Strokes.
Since their inception in 2006, Vivian Darkbloom has performed throughout the Northeast, from NYC to Portland. They’ve shared the stage with national Indie/Major label acts, and have performed at such venues as The Delancey in NYC and T.T. The Bear’s Place in Cambridge."

Link to 3 free song downloads (just click Free Mp3 and it downloads)
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Vivian+Darkbloom/most_played_songs

To each his own I guess. I thought the "music" really sucked.

Back