Wii outsells PS3 6 to 1 in Japan?

Neither does the Wii though. I would say it has more good games, but I wouldn't call them A+. The only A+ game on the Wii is Twlight Princess, and that's a port of a Gamecube game.

I wonder how things will play out when Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy hit later this year. How do those series fare in Japan? I know they're pretty well liked here, but what about in their home country? I know Zelda isn't half as popular there as it is here.

Neither does the Wii though. I would say it has more good games, but I wouldn't call them A+. The only A+ game on the Wii is Twlight Princess, and that's a port of a Gamecube game.

I wonder how things will play out when Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy hit later this year. How do those series fare in Japan? I know they're pretty well liked here, but what about in their home country? I know Zelda isn't half as popular there as it is here.

Yea the Wii doesn’t have any A+ either, it’s also not $700+ bucks. I think if I were to go back to being 13 again when my parents bought all of my video game related stuff, I can recall them thinking it was a rip off paying $200.00 for the N64. (launch day)

I wonder how many Wii's are being bought simply due to cost. As much as I wish the world was like the [H] forums, its not and people don't just go around buying all 3 consoles, or even 2. Some out there have to budget and it seems like the Wii has a very broad spectrum of user base. From kids to parents to dorm room junkies to the average worker the Wii appeals too many. Most of which can probably justify the price tag.

Although I love my PS3 it’s not cheap, especially for what we consider a home console. I don't see to many parents willy nilly going to spend 700+ on their kids video games. Especially when a Wii promotes activeness for an active teen. That doesn’t mean the PS3 isn’t a good console, I want to see it flourish, but I think I can see why the Wii is doing so well.

My 2 cents.

Your 2 cents is that Sony are pushing a too-pricey product with no A+ software?

At the moment there’s less drive going for the PS3. I like my MotorStorm and Resistance, and there’s more titles being released, I CAN afford the PS3 and enjoy every bit of it, I'm saying parents with no desire for video games probably don't feel the same way about buying a "toy" for their child at a price tag of $700+ (not talking about the [H] families, they doing just fine) A Wii probably is more suitable for them.

At the moment there’s less drive going for the PS3. I like my MotorStorm and Resistance, and there’s more titles being released, I CAN afford the PS3 and enjoy every bit of it, I'm saying parents with no desire for video games probably don't feel the same way about buying a "toy" for their child at a price tag of $700+ (not talking about the [H] families, they doing just fine) A Wii probably is more suitable for them.

Very interesting that you relegate the lack of PS3 [and subsequently strength of Wii] sales to parents buying consoles for their children. While this does occur, keep in mind that there are tons of able adults that refuse to spend that much money on a console. The PS3's asking price is steep for anyone regardless of their age.

Very interesting that you relegate the lack of PS3 [and subsequently strength of Wii] sales to parents buying consoles for their children. While this does occur, keep in mind that there are tons of able adults that refuse to spend that much money on a console. The PS3's asking price is steep for anyone regardless of their age.

I think he did hit the nail on the coffin. It is parents buying the cheaper toy for their kids. Its not us "fanboys" driving the huge sales. Its parents who see the cheaper pricetag and games that look great for their kids.

PS3s high price is its limiting factor.

I don't know what other people's motivations are, but I bought the Wii for a few reasons. It's actually the first time I have bought a "new" console, where before I always waited for the price to drop way down before purchasing. I guess that means I can't claim cost as a motivator for buying the Wii, because it still seems expensive to me, but I can probably claim cost as a reason for avoiding the others. Had I unlimited funds, I would probably buy everything that existed. Secondly, I have had mostly owned Nintendo, Sega, and Atari products, so I already know what I like from Nintendo and what games I will want. Nintendo is a real game company, not just a big corp trying to use gaming as a wedge to break into the digital television business. As for the Wii controller, I don't really care myself about using it, I would be happy with anything, but I do like the idea of getting non-gamer friends and family into the fun, and even something as simple as Wii sports has been great for that.

I think he did hit the nail on the coffin. It is parents buying the cheaper toy for their kids. Its not us "fanboys" driving the huge sales. Its parents who see the cheaper pricetag and games that look great for their kids.

The expressions are "hit the nail on the head" and "the final nail in the coffin". You sound like the bartender from Boondock Saints :p.

I think you guys are marginalizing the impact of the Wii. Sure a lot of it's success has to do with it's price point, but it's not a one trick pony. The fact that it's targeting new customers and trying new things is just as big a factor in it's success as price. I know that for my money, if both systems had been $300 at launch, I still would have went with the Wii, because I was and still am excited about a new way to play games.

Clearly, the average joe is the target consumer. And it goes without question that PS3's biggest problem [outside of quality exclusives] is the high price. But that does not mean that the majority of people buying the Wii are parents for their children. Hell, the average video game player is over 30 years old. No longer are video games a soley a hobby for the young. Wii is popular because it is different, it has a low price of entry, and because it has mass-market appeal - children, young adults, and the very casual gamer.

Look at the 360. Most of it's market is 18-34, not little kids. Sure, we hear them in games like Gears of War, but when you have over 4M in sales you're bound to run across a few of them. $400 is a lot of money for parents to put down on a console, too.

I'd suggest that you two take a look at the video game demographics before you asume that the Wii is hot only because of kids. Here is a good place to start.

The expressions are "hit the nail on the head" and "the final nail in the coffin". You sound like the bartender from Boondock Saints :p.

I think you guys are marginalizing the impact of the Wii. Sure a lot of it's success has to do with it's price point, but it's not a one trick pony. The fact that it's targeting new customers and trying new things is just as big a factor in it's success as price. I know that for my money, if both systems had been $300 at launch, I still would have went with the Wii, because I was and still am excited about a new way to play games.

The Wii has a lot going for it, don't get me wrong. I'm just stating that it’s probably out numbering its competition due to the fact that it’s cheaper to purchase and your still getting tons of enjoyable entertaining moments.

If the PS3 and X360 were the exact same price as the Wii, I'm not sure you would see statistics like "6 to 1". Some kids asking their parents for different consoles might actually have gotten one, instead of a parent going "let’s get this one it’s cheaper and looks like just as much fun as that one".

If Sony can afford a price cut, come out with more games maybe 08' will be a better year for them, but as of right now seems like the Wii is dominating. It’s to bad that I still don't have one. **haha maybe I'll wait for the Wii to drop in price... ;) **

ManCannon said:
The expressions are "hit the nail on the head" and "the final nail in the coffin". You sound like the bartender from Boondock Saints

Make like a tree, and get the F*** OUT!"

sorry I had too

Alot of stuff has been rehashed here, thats been talked about ever since the release of the console and its inevitability to sell.

reasons I can think of as some others:

1) People willing to upgrade already did, there are some who just aren't ready yet
2) Price tag
3) Parents noticing price tag
4) The great marketing job of Nintendo
5) Games
6) Getting it for Blu-Ray and then having that format fall under
7) The wait for titles/price cuts (this includes lack of real interest to create the demand to justify the cost of the console)

I'm sure there's more, over time these consoles will start selling again, it just needs to have that one more reason to make people go out and notice it, then want to buy it, much of the same is happening for the 360, it seems that other then the Wii the sales are starting to stagnate on the PS3 and 360.

Oh man, someone hasn't played paper mario :)
I would definitely call it an A+ title, far better than TP in my opinion.
Also, RE-4 for Wii is a clear A+. Though it is the rehash of a PS2 rehash of a gamecube game, the new controls give it a whole new dynamic that fundamentally change (and improved) the game.

I think one of the Wii's big strengths is that it is different enough from other consoles that even ports seem like new games. Each wii game has its own flare that sets it apart from games on other systems.

Well said. And really people, if lowest price alone could drive the majority of sales, Gamecube would have outsold PS2 and Xbox for the entirety of last generation. Bottom line: The price is nice, but there's more to it than that.

SSB isnt a AAAAAA+++++ title in japan like it is here. and FPS dont do as well in Japan as they do here.

But Mario - he's a system seller right there.

and one other title which doesnt get much praise here: DRAGON QUEST. that's scheduled for release in two weeks in Japan. and that right there is equivalent to having a Pokemon game relased for the DS.

Well said. And really people, if lowest price alone could drive the majority of sales, Gamecube would have outsold PS2 and Xbox for the entirety of last generation. Bottom line: The price is nice, but there's more to it than that.

That is very true, but you’re talking about only a $50-100 difference vs. currently its well over a $200 difference. I think current systems have great games and great appeal. But Wii's price tag also looks a lot more shiner than its competition.

I did not say in my previous posts that Wii sales are a direct result of parents alone, I think I said in my first post that its attractive to all types of gamers, what I'm trying to say is there are a good amount of purchases done by parents + your other genre of gamers to = a 6 to 1 ratio. ;)

Oh man, someone hasn't played paper mario :)
I would definitely call it an A+ title, far better than TP in my opinion.

I have played and beaten Super Paper Mario, and while I think it's a great game I don't know if I'd call it A+. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but when I think A+ game I think of a system mover, not a niche title like SPM.

I think we'll see a sales jump with the release of Ninja Gaiden in japan. I think they already cut the price in japan anyway.

I think we'll see a sales jump with the release of Ninja Gaiden in japan. I think they already cut the price in japan anyway.

Nope, Ninja Gaiden is already out in Japan, no sales spike. Can't be surprised, though, it's hard to get real excited about a remake of a 3 year old title.

Who wants to predict July's sales ratio. Will it be 7 to 1, or has it already maxed out?

Who wants to predict July's sales ratio. Will it be 7 to 1, or has it already maxed out?

I heard from some people like 10 to 1 but thats kinda pushin it. Probably 8-9 to 1 because of pokemons and mario strikers and all that. Have to see though :)

I heard from some people like 10 to 1 but thats kinda pushin it. Probably 8-9 to 1 because of pokemons and mario strikers and all that. Have to see though

Hopefully they can come up with enough supply to meet the demand.

Back