Wii Modding (WiiKey)

Vs17

Weaksauce
Just a quick question for anyone knowledgeable or experienced with modding the wii. I was looking into buying a wiikey for my console but just had one question holding me back. While I realize that the wii-key allows one to play back-up copies of games, I just wanted to be sure that, by installing it, I would also be able to play all of the original game discs as well... It makes sense that you would be able to, but I just wanted to check before I screw myself over...

Any thoughts?

http://www.wiikey.cn/

The point of modchip is to allow the play of backups and import games as well as your original disks. You should be fine as long as you do it correctly. Also, do plenty of research on that chip before you buy. Just remember to be careful about the talk of backups. Most forums don't encourage that kind of talk.

From what I read most do it because the Wii is region locked and they want to play the Japanese titles. Also to play dvds. Though, I am unsure if Nintendo has taken action to block this with any recent updates.

Wait with this chip my Wii can play DVD's?? That would be awesome! Is it possible to play DVD's with this? Thanks

This looks like it could be a great item. Anyone who's read my posts on this forum knows my affinity for Japanese games that never come out here. Mod chips are my only way to play them. A 6 wire install makes it a little harder than old style Xbox modchips, but much easier then the 23+ wires needed for some advanced PS2 modchips, like my DMS3!

From what I read most do it because the Wii is region locked and they want to play the Japanese titles. Also to play dvds. Though, I am unsure if Nintendo has taken action to block this with any recent updates.

They probably haven't blocked it yet, but nowadays if you mod a console you pretty much have to accept that you may not be able to update it or take it online anymore. If they haven't blocked it yet, they probably will in the future.

Back