Wii Mishaps Lead to Busted TVs, Injuries

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although we said this would happen almost a year ago, people still seem to be throwing Wii remotes through TVs, ceiling fans, windows and just about everything else. If you were lucky enough to get a Wii for a loved one this Christmas, you might consider a helmet as an accessory if they are particularly clumsy.

So how did Baker end up launching the controller of her new Nintendo Wii right into her 37-inch TV? Like some other owners of the new game console and its motion-sensitive wireless remote, Baker took the freedom to move a little too literally.

I've had mine since 12:01 on launch day and haven't had ANY serious injury or ANY property damage! I think it all boils down to the Wii attracting rtards that aren't used to swinging things close to expensive electronics. Get a WiiGlove, they add more traction..sheesh!

i mean if the strap breaks then they should have to pay for these people's tvs

I only played it once... but I had no problems with le wii. I didn't even use the strap.

People need to pay attention to their surroundings when playing. I don't feel bad for someone that gets too involved with their game to where their remote goes flying into the tv.

If you have kids, the Wii remote is a bit unnerving. Think about it, if you've ever had to yell into the living room "Calm Down In There!!!" when they are playing with a regular controller...wait until you get 4 kids and 4 Wii remotes going all at once...someone is going to get smacked in the head.

Unfortunately, I am STILL waiting for Nintendo to replace my Wii after it bricked during the first auto update. My review has been hung up waiting on a replacement, shortages aren't helping either :(

they should have a wii rifle for FPSers that fires real bullets ..... then you would see some messed up tvs

Seriously I can't see how people are doing this w/o wanting to. The first day My buddy, his wife, and myself all went crazy playing all the sports games (we were waiting for zelda :p). Heck even punching / moving around a ton in the boxing game we never had a problem holding on to the remote, and we didn't even use the strap.

If people can't figure out that they need to hold onto the controller just like any other and that you don't need to let go for any reason, they shouldn't be playing.

I wonder how many of these people seeking repairs already had something wrong with the tv so they just threw it and broke the strap so they could get a replacement from nintendo. Or got frustrated at the game and have anger problems so just threw the remote.. only difference is they can claim it was while using the remote while they would be up shit creek with any other remote.

the solution is obvious

duck_tape.jpg

Yeah that stuff fixes everything. How is it used? Do you tape the controller to their hands or just tape their hands behind their backs so they can't hurt themselves?

Maybe the 'i's in the Wii commercials aren't bowing at the end, they are ducking. :D

LOL OMG WTF.

People are that stupid to launch a controller?

malicious said:

right.... because if you buy a racquetball racquet, and you are serving at 130+ mph, and the little string breaks, and your racquet that you just accidentally threw at your friends head kills them, the death is the racquet makers fault. anybody who throws something at their tv is culpable for what THEY JUST THREW. nintendo doesn't tell people to throw the wiimote. they tell them to swing it. just like you swing the racquetball racquet.

welcome to america, where litigation is how retarded people stay in the gene pool

Steve said:
To be totally honest, I did think this would be a problem....with little kids...NOT adults. :D

I kinda saw this as an issue with young kids as well but figured the strap would be able to stop it. With the adults that break something I only blame them. The damage that has been posted almost looks staged. It comes down to someone throwing something as hard as they can then trying to pass the blame. Thing is if they didn't let go in the first place they wouldn't have broken anything.

Anarchist4000 said:
Yeah that stuff fixes everything. How is it used? Do you tape the controller to their hands or just tape their hands behind their backs so they can't hurt themselves?
im thinkin more along the lines of hogtying the stupid people and tossing em off a bridge. but whatever works.

Somehow, I can just picture a class action suit in a couple years because the controller sounds like it could cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

malicious said:
the strap is designed to prevent dropping of a expensive controller full of senstive gyros, not to stop people from firing at their tv. though the fact that these remotes still work after being used to dent a wall or crack a tv is a testament to the build quality of these remotes.

Lethal said:
Somehow, I can just picture a class action suit in a couple years because the controller sounds like it could cause carpal tunnel syndrome.

they lead more to sore wrists, biceps, triceps, and shoulders than carpal tunnel. you do more button mashing (which leads to carpal tunnel) on keyboard and general gamepads

i'm going to be playing my wii on a crt, so it won't (hopefully) ever break through the gnarly glass tube, that is, if it ever even slips

Steve said:
Unfortunately, I am STILL waiting for Nintendo to replace my Wii after it bricked during the first auto update. My review has been hung up waiting on a replacement, shortages aren't helping either :(
Bricked? I thought you were still able to play games and such but just not get online?

My favorite response from these people is that they aren't idiots when they swing the remote around like a tard because they are playing the game the way they believe to be fun.

I'd like to remind those people: You can have fun and still be an idiot. Just look at the "special" people. They seem to have a great deal of fun even pooping their pants.

One of my friends got wii elbow from playing wii tennis...

I'm looking forward to a dull ache from enjoying playing games...

Ouch, I would have a heart attack if the remote happen to break my plasma tv. Luckily I don't have a Wii yet.

Xilikon said:
Ouch, I would have a heart attack if the remote happen to break my plasma tv. Luckily I don't have a Wii yet.

just a little bit of oil and that can be easily done :D

Is it weird that these videos and pictures make the wii look even more fun than before I knew I could potentially destroy things while playing it?

I'll definitely be in line for one tomorrow morning. ;)

Martyr said:
the strap is designed to prevent dropping of a expensive controller full of senstive gyros, not to stop people from firing at their tv. though the fact that these remotes still work after being used to dent a wall or crack a tv is a testament to the build quality of these remotes.
It has no gyros. It just has accelermeters, and those arent going to break from dropping the controller.

Actually, I was surprised that Nintendo DIDN'T spin this into a "look at the bright side, the Wii remote is tough".

I did notice that new Wii ads don't feature people jumping around like lunatics anymore.

But everyone wanted to know "Will it blend"?

The answer? Not without a fight.

Really out of all of the damage reports, I think only one I have read noted any damage to the Wiimote.

I'm sitting here giggling my head off... I'm trying to think of something adequate to say but then I saw that wiihaveaproblem.com and that set off a whole new giggle fit I'm just now coming down from.

My god... I remember someone talking about it a year ago as the OP stated, but back then you just thought, "Nah, that'll never happen..."

Lo and behold... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Can't stop the giggles... it's a riot

I played the Wii a few times and I have no idea how people are managing to do that.

Its pretty hard to let slip because of the way its shaped and the lanyard hold pretty well. Granted I wasn't pitching fastballs or throwing every bit of energy into each tennis swing. I think you'd have to be a real retard to throw the thing.

The Nun-Chuck I can see being thrown because it is round and has no lanyard, but it can only go so far before the wire runs out and it stops moving....

I'm still trying to figure it out.

i_am_mustang_man said:
right.... because if you buy a racquetball racquet, and you are serving at 130+ mph, and the little string breaks, and your racquet that you just accidentally threw at your friends head kills them, the death is the racquet makers fault. anybody who throws something at their tv is culpable for what THEY JUST THREW. nintendo doesn't tell people to throw the wiimote. they tell them to swing it. just like you swing the racquetball racquet.

welcome to america, where litigation is how retarded people stay in the gene pool

Hahahahaha too true :(.

quadnad said:
Bricked? I thought you were still able to play games and such but just not get online?

Mine would continually turn off and on after the update....ugh :( I have video of it in the review. The bad part is, waiting on Nintendo to send me another one is seriously sucking right now. It's not like I can run down to the store and get one.

Back