Wii impressions. Leave your thoughts here!

lesman

2[H]4U
As the title states. I don't want to hear why you think the PS3 is better, either. Keep it clean. Let's hear your honest opinions. :)

I have a reservation at the Nintendo World Store which is opening up 6 AM on sunday for people who hold pre-orders but I can't wait!

I plan on being there at around 5:45 AM :(

Buying Wii, Zelda, 1 remote & nunchuck combo.

Impressions (without having played it yet): I've had pretty much all of the major consoles at one point but this is the first console I'm excited about since SNES. I'm a little disappointed with the graphics, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm quite excited from what I've seen of it. I must admit that I'm not going for Red Steel or anything like that but I'm going to be all over the party games. Will be waiting for the black version though because of style (it doesn't fit my gear) and the fact that I'm too busy with work for the next 4 months anyway. :(

Well I just want a Wii and Zelda to start out with. No other launch titles interest me right now. Later on when the good multiplayer games come out I will grab more controllers and get those.

I am going to be working that launch at my store. But I have someone who is nice enough to wait in line and get one for me.

Gamestop over here has a Wii and ExciteTruck.
Takes a few minutes to get used to the controls, but after that its actually kind fun, like in the ATV Offroad kinda way.

One disappointment is the fact that the Wii is matted to a Samsung HDTV, but Nintendo did not connect the console with Component cables. Lame. Makes the game look like a widescreen PS2 game. So if you play the Wii at Gamestop, more than likely it is NOT running in 480p. (Its really obvious.) Pretty underwhelming. Especially with a X360 running in 720p right next to it.

My company is an external vendor for Nintendo USA and this Friday we have our annual United Way auction. According to an email I just got Nintendo has donated a Wii to our auction (under the condition that the auction winner doesn't resell it), and as far as I can tell from the email the Wii will be onsite and ready to be taken home by whoever wins the silent auction on the 17th!!!!!

Needless to say I am already willing to bid at least as high as $272 (price of Wii+Tax) if it's actually on-site. So if I do win, and can drag myself away from playing it for awhile, I will post more information about it here on Saturday.

EDIT: I just got the word from a co-worker that the Wii's (it's 2 now, not just 1) will not be onsite for the auction. The winners get them at work next Monday. So I guess no slightly early reports from me after all.

I've played Excite Truck about 6 times so far. At first I was misled to believe that the game controlled like driving a more horizontal steering wheel. Didn't take me that long to figure out that that was completely incorrect. So far though I have to say I'm don't really like the game so much. Could be I'm not a fan of racers or it could be that I thought the steering was too loose. Either way I think Nintendo should have picked a different title to demo the controller/system.

However as for the rest of the launch, I'd say I'm so interested that I'm engrossed in minute by minute launch coverage this week.
The launch lineup for the Wii is the best I've ever seen for a console release.

Games I'm interested in getting at launch:

Zelda
Red Steel
Monkeyball
Trauma Center
Call of Duty 3
Metal Slug Anthology
Rayman
Elebits (if it were coming out at launch like it was supposed to)

And that's not taking into account any of the virtual console games I'm interested in getting (and in particular from the selection of Genesis and TurboGrafx titles).

i played excite truck today at gamestop. its gonna take a few days to get the controller down, but it was fun. the system was actually a little bigger than i imagined it being.

i really enjoyed it though, i honestly think that this will be more fun than my xbox 360 :cool:

i had about 3 people come up to me while i was playing and ask me what that was, how much does it cost, when's it coming out, etc... i dont think many people had played it since you gotta give up your ID and people are to lazy to ask for the controller.

i think i'll try to get up sunday morning at circuit city and pick one up. i say circuit city becasue i have a $40 off coupon for anything over $199 :) or else i would go to walmart at midnight like i did for the gamecube.

i'll only be picking up the following:
Wii
Zelda
Component Cables
should be about $300 after taxes with my coupon

my plan is just to Waltz my ass into any ole' store (probably wally mart).. and buy it....

this is the first console i will ever buy at launch... also this is the first time i feel very excited about a console... i feel like such a dweeb...

I have been unlucky and can't find a store in Columbus, Ohio (or haven't looked to much) that has one to play. But I'm getting excited about the wii. And I love that i have a good chance to walk in and pick one up Sunday morning.

I like the design of the system better than the Xbox 360 or PS3 ...& I don't care that it's not as powerful either. I'm more concerned with the new motion controllers which I feel Nintendo should have given the option on every game to use the standard contollers.

As far as Wii launch games ...I'm only interested in Zelda & Red Steel & I've read the Wii Zelda reviews on other websites, however because the Gamecube Zelda is Identical in EVERY (graphics, audio & content ..etc.) way to the Wii version except for the motion controllers, I'm buying the Gamecube version to use the standard controllers & I'll wait for a better selection of good games to be released before I buy the Wii.

Javvis said:
I like the design of the system better than the Xbox 360 or PS3 ...& I don't care that it's not as powerful either. I'm more concerned with the new motion controllers which I feel Nintendo should have given the option on every game to use the standard contollers.

As far as Wii launch games ...I'm only interested in Zelda & Red Steel & I've read the Wii Zelda reviews on other websites, however because the Gamecube Zelda is Identical in EVERY (graphics, audio & content ..etc.) way to the Wii version except for the motion controllers, I'm buying the Gamecube version to use the standard controllers & I'll wait for a better selection of good games to be released before I buy the Wii.

You're insane :O

After playing Zelda with the wiimote and nunchuck I'm never going back.

We shall see what the majority of gamers say ...after both versions of the games are released. The new controllers will not work with all types of games ...Nintendo has already commented on this.

Javvis said:

I was gonna go with red steel at launch.. but i'm gonna go with COD3 now.. cause i've read that the controls are better implemented in COD3...

I've already played the Wii for numerous hours, both at E3 2006 and at a couple of the local GS's, and I have to say I'm very excited about it. When they announced the controller I was immediately skeptical, and went into E3 with a sour face about the whole prospect. Luckily it turns out I was 100% wrong about Wii, and it's controller is freaking awesome (and comfy!), works exactly as advertised and the games were a load of fun to play.

I'm planning to buy 3 on day 1--1 for me at home, 1 for my fiancee's family Xmas gift, and 1 for my family's Xmas gift.

Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers

:D :D :D

Well i'm pretty excited for the Wii. Lots of people post about how they dont like the game selection for this reason or that reason (majority talk about it being "Kiddy" games) but i don't really see it like that. I'm going to buy a Wii fully expecting a lot of the games to be like that. I love games like FEAR on the PC and Mortal Kombat but sometimes I WANT the games where you jump around collecting banannas for an extra life or hop around on moving rocks. I think a lot of people who are excited about it are excited for the same reason - not because they think this is a substitute for the type of games you'll find on the PS3 or X360.

I think its great there are 3 competitors with systems that all have their "up's and downs". With so much choice, theres hardly anyone left without one of the three they will like

I wanted to try one yesterday when the EB finally got around to plugging it in but some kid played it for 3 hours till the stupid mall closed. I went home to my apartment (which is next to the mall) and came back and he was still playing. I asked the guy at the store like 1 hour before they closed if I could try it but he said he doesn't want to let me try because they were closing in an hour. Thus why I hate buying anything from them. Oh well game crazy will hook it up and I will play it there. I am flying to seattle on saturday and I am hoping to find a store to buy it at. Probably Wal Marts or CC.

I tried it today at EB during my lunchbreak (there is a mall a block away from my office), and I loooooved it.

The controller was smaller than I expected, but it felt very nice. It had that general Nintendo solidness that anyone with experience with their equipment understands (I've stood one a GameCube with my full weight, and it barely creaked). All the buttons/d-pad were in easy reach for me holding it either straight or sideways, and all of the buttons, including the trigger, had a good feel to them. The only problem for me is that I have slightly shaky hands, so navigating the Wii menu took a bit of concentration, but I feel that it was also just calibrated too sensitively for me.

The only game game demo was of Excite Truck, so I fired that right up. The game itself is just fun. I'm sure it could be controlled equally well, if not a bit easier on a regular controler, but the feel of turning my hands made it feel very arcade-like, which I found to be very enjoyable. The first few minutes of use were a little awkward for me, until I got used to the feel of it, but soon I was winning races left and right. I'm not sure I'll be picking this up at launch, but it could easily be a renter or a pre-played purchase for me.

Overall, I'm even more excited about picking up a Wii this Sunday. Based on my limited half-hour of usage, I feel like Nintendo really pulled it off, and it has tons of potential.

I also can't wait for Twilight Princess. :D

This will be the first console I've had enough money to buy on the first day! I'll probably stroll into K-Mart and find some there on Sunday morning. If not, there's always CompUSA, Circuit City, 2 Best Buys, Sears, 2 Walmarts, and a Target within a couple miles.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on impressions of the Wii (or the PS3 for that matter) because the game places around me have not even set their kiosks (questionable if they even have them to begin with), but my enthusiasm is really high right now.

This will be the first of two consoles I buy for the 7th generation, I'm still debating on whether to buy the X360 with that $100 rebate this month, or wait on it. That's $650 extra on my CC this month if it is. :confused:

I will get Twilight Princess (widescreen, yay), experience that when I'm not getting pestered during my Thanksgiving holiday, then wait for impressions of Red Steel, Elebits, Raving Rabids, etc. I will also buy Metal Slug Anthology when that crash lands, because MS is awesome, and I will probably pick up Trauma Center: Second Opinion.

whether you're going to get a PS3 or wii...

we all have to agree.. it's a good weekend to be a gamer huh? :D

ocbaud said:
i think i'll try to get up sunday morning at circuit city and pick one up. i say circuit city becasue i have a $40 off coupon for anything over $199 :) or else i would go to walmart at midnight like i did for the gamecube.

WARNING: Unless you got that coupon in an actual circular/coupon book, it is most likely bogus. I was almost duped by the same coupon earlier this week.

Well i got to try it last night and it was amazing. I loved it. Didn't like the game so much but I loved the controller. Now its a question of what games do I buy....

thrawn42 said:
WARNING: Unless you got that coupon in an actual circular/coupon book, it is most likely bogus. I was almost duped by the same coupon earlier this week.
oh i know, the good copy i have has the "no photocopies/reproductions excepted" edited out of it.

i dont think i'm gonna use it anyways, i dont want to wait and i'll probably be at walmart on saturday night getting one instead. same thing i did with my gamecube

to the guy who said that the gamecube and wii versions of zelda are the exact same thing you are misinformed. the wii version is the only one that will be available in widescreen.

ocbaud said:

Is Walmart actually doing a midnight release? My initial plan was to get up early sunday, head over to Target at ~6am (they open at 8am), and if I wasn't able to get one there I'd go to the BestBuy which opens at 10am. But if Walmart is doing a midnight release, I might be able to skip having to get up early sunday....

quadnad said:
Is Walmart actually doing a midnight release? My initial plan was to get up early sunday, head over to Target at ~6am (they open at 8am), and if I wasn't able to get one there I'd go to the BestBuy which opens at 10am. But if Walmart is doing a midnight release, I might be able to skip having to get up early sunday....

Two of the Wal-Marts in my area confirmed that they will be selling them at 12:01 AM on the 19th. One of the guys I talked to said that he couldn't quote numbers, and that there would be "plenty," and another told me that he heard they would have around 50 units. If that doesn't work at midnight, I'm going to my local Target in the morning.

The guy at Wal-Mart also told me yesterday that people were camped out for their PS3's already. And this is in rural Lancaster County, PA. Go figure. :D

FoolOnTheHill said:
Two of the Wal-Marts in my area confirmed that they will be selling them at 12:01 AM on the 19th. One of the guys I talked to said that he couldn't quote numbers, and that there would be "plenty," and another told me that he heard they would have around 50 units. If that doesn't work at midnight, I'm going to my local Target in the morning.

The guy at Wal-Mart also told me yesterday that people were camped out for their PS3's already. And this is in rural Lancaster County, PA. Go figure. :D

Hmmm...maybe I should check with my local store, because that'd be awesome if I'd be able to play Saturday night :D

I checked the Wii Seeker, and it seems that my local Walmarts are getting ~53, while the Target is getting 111 and BestBuy 96.

Perhaps I'll give Walmart a shot. I wonder if many people will be waiting for it more than two hours before the release.

quadnad said:
Hmmm...maybe I should check with my local store, because that'd be awesome if I'd be able to play Saturday night :D

I checked the Wii Seeker, and it seems that my local Walmarts are getting ~53, while the Target is getting 111 and BestBuy 96.

Perhaps I'll give Walmart a shot. I wonder if many people will be waiting for it more than two hours before the release.

wii seeker shows up nothing for my area.. piece of shit website..

I think I am going to hit up Target. Only going a few hours in advance so if I dont get one, I wont be sad.

I was ready to drop all sorts of money on the Wii, but my comp went to the crapper and I am about to loan a hefty amount of money to a good friend.... Christmas rush???? Maybe I'll have the money then ..... if there are any left. Minneapolis MN area targets don't have any Wii displays up yet except for the acessories.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
wii seeker shows up nothing for my area.. piece of shit website..
thats funny, it shows close to 1200 units in various stores withen a 20 minute drive from my home.

corrosive23 said:
thats funny, it shows close to 1200 units in various stores withen a 20 minute drive from my home.

type my zip code

32601 (Gainesville Florida)

it sends you to Ormond/daytona beach with his about 2 Hrs from Gainesville....

sethmo said:
I think I am going to hit up Target. Only going a few hours in advance so if I dont get one, I wont be sad.
Same, I am in no real rush, although having the games and no system does piss me off a bit :D.

Just to mention, if anyone is planning to go to Walmart on Saturday night for a midnight release, check with your individual stores. The Walmart in my area is opening at 6am, so although that isn't as nice as a midnight release that does mean that I'll be able to go to Walmart at ~5am, then to Target afterwards which opens at 8am, and then to Bestbuy at 10am as my "if all else fails" plan.

I'm going to get a Wii on launch day goddammit!

quadnad said:
I'm going to get a Wii on launch day goddammit!

Word brother! Ive got the same plan. I think we'll be in good shape though.Wii tracker site turned up several hundred units within 20 miles of me with a Toys R Us getting close to 100 units.

Now the real question becomes : Will we be able to secure a copy of Twighlight Princess?

I played it for awhile, and the controller was pretty fun. The games weren't to fun though, and the way it looked wasn't all that great. But that could have just been the set up.

I don't really like the fact that you have to use the new controller for some stuff. I think the basic controller should be an option for everything. I can see myself not wanting to use that new controller...especially if I am not playing with other people.

Needless to say, I can't wait. Been looking forward to this since the unveiling of the controller. Lesse...looks like about 300+ within easy driving distance. Heres hoping they don't sell out before I wake up on Sunday!

As far as graphics, I still have an SDTV so I'm not too worried about no res over 480.

Back