wii access point question

BoogerBomb

Supreme [H]ardness
We have a Belkin wireless router that our cable modem hooks into. All our machines use it. Of course this is the one and only brand in the entire world that for some reason Nintendo cant get to work with, we have to use unreliable unprotected ones.

Could I just buy a cheap Linksys access point and have the wii connect to it and it to the belkin?

Has Nintendo told you that Belkin doesnt work? What kind of problems are you getting when trying to hook up. There is a chance, however slight it may be, that one of us here might be able to get you to get it to work. Let us know how you are setting it up so that we can try and trouble shoot it for you. No sense in spending extra money when you shouldnt need to

Yes Nintendo has said that all but three Belkin router models will not work with the Wii. Why? I dont think a person on this planet knows except for the Japanese guy who codes the wifi for the wii. Before we knew this we tried every single setting in our router for 2 days. Took off all security and it still wouldn't work. Did a search on Nintendos forums to find out we are fucked.

UH HUM! I excuse you and beg to differ....

I have a Nintendo Wii and a Belkin F5D6231-4 wireless router and I have absolutely no problens with the setup what so ever. Have you tried changing the channel on the router? Do you have MAC address filtering on? If so, do you have the Wii's MAC address entered?

I am highly doubting that I got one of the 3. My router is 2+ years old and is only 802.11b capable. Why would they only include something this old into something so new?

Well this comes straight from Nintendos site:

Wii
The following routers have known compatibility issues with the Wii console.

Actiontec
GT704-WG

Belkin
F5D6231-4 vers. 1000
F5D7230-4 vers. 4000

Those are the only 3 routers that they have listed. Unless Belkin only made 5 routers since they have been operating, my guess is ALOT of Belkin routers are supported.

I have the F5D6231-4 Vers. 2000 btw.

I am researching this right now. I have no mac filtering turned on. I even turned off all security features and it still would not connect to it. I tried each and every channel, no go.

I am trying to find that Nintendo router compatibility list to see if it has been updated. The last time I checked it was after we first got our at Christmas and only 3 belkin models were compatible and we didnt have any of the three.

We have the 7231-4. Does that fall under the 7230? I didnt think it would. It appears that they have updated the list since we last looked.

What settings do you use. I am going to try something that someone post on the nintendo forums yesterday to see if it works for me.
I have 128-bit WEP turned on. SSID not broadcast. Nothing much other than that. The router is used just for the Wii and DS. It's unplugged when those systems are not being used.

I guess ill lower my security to WEP instead of WPA even though Nintendo says they support it. The guy on the nintendo forums also used WEP. I am at the point of just saying to hell with this POS and running a 100 foot Cat5 cable to the living room.

I guess ill lower my security to WEP instead of WPA even though Nintendo says they support it. The guy on the nintendo forums also used WEP. I am at the point of just saying to hell with this POS and running a 100 foot Cat5 cable to the living room.
And plugging it into what? The Wii does not have an ethernet port.

Just get a better router. The Belkin is a POS anyway ;)

Theres a USB ethernet adapter for it.
By the time you buy the USB ethernet adapter and 100' of Cat5 to string across the house, it seems to me like you'd be way better served by just replacing the router or adding an inexpensive access point to your network.

By the time you buy the USB ethernet adapter and 100' of Cat5 to string across the house, it seems to me like you'd be way better served by just replacing the router or adding an inexpensive access point to your network.

I am just so fucking pissed about this whole thing. Every fucking router in the world, save 3, works except for mine of course which nintendo insists works when it really doesnt. I dont want to spend days and weeks on end with nintendo over the phone to get such a simple thing working that shouldnt be a problem in the first place.

Theres a USB ethernet adapter for it.

I am just so fucking pissed about this whole thing. Every fucking router in the world, save 3, works except for mine of course which nintendo insists works when it really doesnt. I dont want to spend days and weeks on end with nintendo over the phone to get such a simple thing working that shouldnt be a problem in the first place.
I think it's more Belkin's problem than Nintendo's.

Just get a different router already.

Dude save yourself the hassle and go to your local electronics store and pick up a Linksys WRT54G wired/wirless router and you will be fine. Belkin is not necessarily the best in the world. There has to be something in your setup process that is causing the incompatiblility. Sell the bugger on your local craigslist and then go buy a Linksys and save yourself the insanity!!!

EDIT: Dude on sale for $49.99!!!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tCategoryId=pcmcat7000050002&id=1051384663529

Dude save yourself the hassle and go to your local electronics store and pick up a Linksys WRT54G wired/wirless router and you will be fine.
The WRT54G is a well known POS. It has less RAM than most routers half its price.

Get the Buffalo WHR-G54S for $40. Far better router.

^^^ Really??? I had heard such good thing about it from many different Network engineers for the state and military. Maybe they recommended it just because of the ease of use and setup?

I stand corrected :D

^^^ Really??? I had heard such good thing about it from many different Network engineers for the state and military. Maybe they recommended it just because of the ease of use and setup?

I stand corrected :D

Years ago it was pretty decent. Linksys has slowly *removed* RAM and flash memory from the unit. It is *far worse* than it was years and years ago. These days it is far surpassed by other routers. It was also one of the first that allowed you to load linux firmware onto it, which greatly enhanced its "image" in the community. However, these days, the flash memory is so small that you need to use "micro" or "stripped" versions of the linux firmware that load fine onto other routers in the price range.

The Buffalo is well-known to currently give the best performance under $50 or so, whereas the WRT54G is well-known to suck.

My Belkin Wireless G Router F5D7230-4 Ver. 4002 works beautifully with my Wii. I'm even using WEP.

My Belkin Wireless G Router F5D7230-4 Ver. 4002 works beautifully with my Wii. I'm even using WEP.

Shut up. I hate you. I hate everybody who has a wii that connects to their router. You can all just die.

^^^

Hahahah *snort*!

Seriously...sorry to hear about your problems. I would say that my Linksys WRT54GS works wonderfully, but that would be just throwing fuel on the fire.

Oh, wait...whoops!

Eh... WRT54G serves its purpose in my house so I am happy. Had I known about the Buffalo one when I got the Linksys I might have gone that way.. Oh well, atleast I am not still pulling my hair out with the stupid Nintendo WiFi adapter (POS).

The Buffalo really is an excellent router for the price. Dump that Belkin. $40 is nothing compared to the aggravation a crappy router can give you.

*scratches bald spot on head where he pulled some hair out* Yeah my hairstylist fiance BEGGED me to get another wireless solution. Cant seems to figure out why though.....

Of the Linksys or of the Buffalo? And were do you tell what version of the Linksys you have?
He's talking about the WRT54G.

V6 still has 8MB of RAM and 2MB of flash.

The Buffalo has twice as much of each.

The Buffalo has twice as much of each.

Ok so how do you tell which version you have. I am assuming since I just bought it after Xmas that i have the lower version.

Ok so how do you tell which version you have. I am assuming since I just bought it after Xmas that i have the lower version.
Check the first few digits of the serial number against this chart:

CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0
CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2
CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0
CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1
CDFA = WRT54G v4.0
CDFB = WRT54G v5.0
CDFC = WRT54G v5.1
CGN0 = WRT54GS v1.0
CGN1 = WRT54GS v1.0
CGN2 = WRT54GS v1.1
CGN3 = WRT54GS v2.0

It says on the sticker underneath the router.On the top left of the sticker it will say MODEL NO. WRT54G VER. x

I stand corrected. In any case, you can load DD-WRT to almost any router, except of course the WRT54G Rev5.

See HERE. I do believe that you have the same model as the person with the same problem. All they did was update the router firmware and they got connected.

See HERE. I do believe that you have the same model as the person with the same problem. All they did was update the router firmware and they got connected.

Well our neighbors had their netgear on yesterday night so we piggy backed on their signel to get what we needed. We already had the newest firmware. Will probably dump this Belkin sometime this week. I give up on trying to get it to work.

Back