Wii 480p....sucks

Kingpin

Gawd
Why does my Wii @ 480p look like crap compaired to 480i? Iv tried it on 2 different hdtvs and both times 480i looks better then 480p. 480p is all lines while 480i is pretty clean. How can I fix this?

Wii @ 480p looks much much better on my CRT HDTV...

dunno what to tell you? maybe its's different on LCDs...

480p looks very sharp so you see how badly the games need FSAA. 480i with composite cables looks blurry so you can't see how bad the graphics really are.

I still wish all older-gen systems (PS2/XBox/GC) had their 480p output look as good as F-Zero GX 480p.

That was glass smooth, and in no way looked like it was coming from a mere GC. If only more Wii games end up looking the same like that one.... <3.

yes I do have component cables, sorry ment to say that...Also on those two tvs I tried, one was a 50" plasma and the other was a 47" LCD

The monitors are more than likely HD, and when fed an SD or ED signal, HD monitors tend to look like crap due to the monitor having to stretch 480i/p to their native resolutions.

It's odd that 480p would look worse to you than NTSC - it should always look better, regardless of the screen, assuming the screen is handling the input properly. Now, it's possible that that the scaling in the particular screens you're using are lousy (virtually the only signals not upscaled in fixed-pixel HDTVs are PC signals set to match the resolution of the screen) and for some reason has trouble with 480p signals. It's also possible that there's something wrong with your cables or your Wii.

Considering the amount of processing that has to be done on a composite signal to get it to display on a fixed-pixel display, NTSC should - in theory, at least - always look worse than 480p, not to mention the artifacting potential inherent in such a low interlaced resolution. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the screens showing what you're describing. If you have other sources that can be switched between NTSC and 480p (like an Xbox, a progressive-output DVD player, etc.), testing those couldn't hurt either.

Wii on my HDTV in 480p looks much better than it did hooked up to my old SDTV in 480i. But it's probably just my TV. I have a 32" LG LCD.

My Wii looked far far far better in 480p on my 61" HD DLP than it did with composite cables.

At first I kinda thought the same thing, because you do notice right away that in 480p mode you don't have the blurriness of 480i (I like to call Composite cables "Free FSAA", haha) whereas with Component Cables the image is sharp.

On Wii you'll see all the jaggies, especially on an HDTV. That's just a fact of life, though, not much you can do for it.

What you SHOULD notice, though, are sharper texture details, brighter, more vibrant colors, etc. It's a tradeoff, no question about it, but at least IMHO it's worth it.

For reference I play it on a Sammy 61" DLP, 2005 model.

Looks good on my 52" dlp. Granted some AA would help a lot, but it looks so much more sharp than on composit.

Damn, when I got my Component cables I was soo happy, it looks SOO much better and the frame-rate being at 60hz is way nice anyways.. Playing Military Madness, and Alien Crush look awesome.. Oh and Elebits and Wii sports are great.

If you think a game looks worse in 480P, it might be because the game itself does not support 480p. Rayman looks like total butt in 480p cuz its only 480i, like a few other games..

If zelda looks worse in 480p then I have no Idea why...

Yeah my friend is having the same problem actually, in Zelda specifically. With the composite (yellow) cable, the game look blurry, but decently good on his LCD projection TV. However, in 480p using component cables, the game looks very very banded (especially in the fog), and there are these strange horizontal lines everywhere, kinda like how the Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 had poor filtering compared to modern day cards. Composite doesn't have the banding or the strange lines. I don't understand why the cable would change the way the system renders the game image, but it does seem to.

Yeah my friend is having the same problem actually, in Zelda specifically. With the composite (yellow) cable, the game look blurry, but decently good on his LCD projection TV. However, in 480p using component cables, the game looks very very banded (especially in the fog), and there are these strange horizontal lines everywhere, kinda like how the Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 had poor filtering compared to modern day cards. Composite doesn't have the banding or the strange lines. I don't understand why the cable would change the way the system renders the game image, but it does seem to.

thats how mine is exactly, though its just 480p with composite. I can switch to 480i and have it look normal.

I put together a little video comparing different resolutions on different cables. In the second half of the video, I do my own 480i/480p comparison - and the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as the other composite vs. component video floating around on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdQpyq0kXA

There definitely is a difference, but it's not big.

thats how mine is exactly, though its just 480p with composite. I can switch to 480i and have it look normal.

I assume you mean 480p with component (red, green, blue, cables), not composite (yellow) cable. Because its impossible to have a progressive scan image over the composite cable.

I put together a little video comparing different resolutions on different cables. In the second half of the video, I do my own 480i/480p comparison - and the difference is nowhere near as pronounced as the other composite vs. component video floating around on Youtube.

It must depend on the TV. On my CRT HDTV, the difference between 480i and 480p was HUGE. The textures and colors popped whereas on composite, everything was very dull and shaded.

Component looks great on my TV whereas composite was just kinda meh.

Thats cool, but what we really need is a very high quality version of this in divx or H264 or something. Youtube compression makes any comparison useless.

You cannot run at 480p without component cables.

no really? :rolleyes: the OP didnt mention it in the original post, and not having them would be a good reason why it looks like ass, like maybe he thought he was running 480p but was truly only running 480i......thats why i asked ;)

One thing I can say about component cables and 480p on the Wii (rather than composites) is that everything is clearer...and as a result more jaggy looking. Yes, text and details are much better, but it seems to expose flaws a lot more, too. Almost all edges look rougher, BUT it still improves the overall quality.
People joke about components being "poor man's AA" and in some cases with the Wii (current games at least), it's partially true.

These youtube videos people keep posting trying to show the differences between 480i and progressive scan are just hilarious and retarded. Suuure... let's take a camera and point it at our displays and then use it to record video generated by our consoles in order to make a quality comparison. (this is where anyone with half a brain starts to get the giggles)

Oh but wait... now let's compress that video with DiVX/WMV/(insert horrendously lossy codec here) *AND* let's reduce the resolution of the video to 320x240... you know... to save bandwidth. After all people can still tell how much better 480p is by camcordering it, compressing it, and shrinking the dimensions, right?

Oh man... :D :D :D

I always giggle when I read threads like this. Perhaps the OP truly does have a problem, that the 480P isn't being shown correctly, but when people start moaning about the jaggies in Wii games it becomes apparent that the console generation (perhaps until the newness of their "next generation" console wears off) has become incredibly particular in a gaming arena where they can't even set their own GFX settings.

Did anyone ever play a PS2 game or Gamecube game in 480P? Did anyone purchase a Wii because they wanted to see games in "hi def"? Did anyone who purchased a Wii not realize that it's only displaying at 720x480, and that no matter how you slice it there will be many jagged edges?!

Coming from a PC (i.e. the area where we can define how our games look) I love playing my Wii games, not because of the resolution but because I'm enjoying the new way to play.

I feel like all the people whining about the graphical fidelity of the Wii (as thought they didn't know what to expect) are the same people who would moan that a supercar doesn't have any boot space, or that it has trouble getting over speed bumps.

...and at the same time people will defend the Wii to the ends of the earth as either being more powerful than we can all imagine or a lowly system with graphical capabilities that can't *possibly* live up to what we're expecting.
If only the PS3 had such loyal fans Sony might not be in their current position.

...and at the same time people will defend the Wii to the ends of the earth as either being more powerful than we can all imagine or a lowly system with graphical capabilities that can't *possibly* live up to what we're expecting.
If only the PS3 had such loyal fans Sony might not be in their current position.

I think everyone knows what to expect: something more powerful than the Gamecube, but nothing else. It's still got one significant limitation: 480i/p!

and your comment doesn't make sense: there are SO many PS/Sony f@nboys who want to pay $600 just to play GT, MGS, and FF. Whether there are enough of them ready to spend that kind of cash this time around remains to be seen, but the sheer number of PS2s sold must mean something..

Im not talking about jaggy edges, Im talking about bands of horazontal lines.

Horzontal lines usually show up when theres interlacing going on. My PS2 does it non stop as I cannot get it to take 480p for any reason. When I take my Wii places I take the composits, and when I come back if I forget to put it back into 480p those lines show up. If possible I would plug the cables into a different input and see if its just that. Otherwise try new cables. Those two are the easy things to look at. Otherwise either the TV has problems or the Wii is not actually sending out the 480p signal.

These youtube videos people keep posting trying to show the differences between 480i and progressive scan are just hilarious and retarded. Suuure... let's take a camera and point it at our displays and then use it to record video generated by our consoles in order to make a quality comparison. (this is where anyone with half a brain starts to get the giggles)

Oh but wait... now let's compress that video with DiVX/WMV/(insert horrendously lossy codec here) *AND* let's reduce the resolution of the video to 320x240... you know... to save bandwidth. After all people can still tell how much better 480p is by camcordering it, compressing it, and shrinking the dimensions, right?

Oh man... :D :D :D

I think you're missing the point, obviously a Youtube video isn't going to show aliasing, but it does show colour - and the point of the video I uploaded was to contest those other ones floating around on Youtube that suggest using a composite cable will result in an orange skew. (In Zelda, at least.) Hence the title "Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess: Color Comparison".

I'm going to do a comparison on clarity and aliasing shortly, although it won't be on Youtube.

In which case I think something is physically wrong with either your Wii, the cables, or your TV
I agree.

There are no horizontal lines on my 50" plasma when I play my Wii in 480p. Something is definitely wrong.

Tried hooking up my Wii to my roommate's 32" Philips LCD. Looked like absolute crap. Horizontal lines like the OP, and strange rainbow crap going across the entire screen. Gonna try it on the 62" DLP tonight, see if it's my Wii or his TV.

Weird. I'd love to see a picture of this phenomenon and maybe we can figure it out.

I'm using the React cables as well on a 50" plasma. No lines. Looks great.

easiest comparison of quality is to go into the mii channel and compare the faces when you just point at the mii.

it's ridiculous how much better quality component is versus composite.

it's so clear with component, composite is very blurry.

easiest comparison of quality is to go into the mii channel and compare the faces when you just point at the mii.

it's ridiculous how much better quality component is versus composite.

it's so clear with component, composite is very blurry.

Indeed, I only have a sdtv but the difference is amazing, plus I can't notice the jaggies much because my tv is only 20", not big enough to care, but still plenty big enough to have tons of fun with the wii.

Just make sure your setting the component cables up right cause I had a audio and a video one mixed at first and was getting wierd sound distortion and horizonal bands like people are talking about, but after I fixed the problem everything is working perfectly now.

Back