Wifi speeds stuck at 40mbps up and down. Changed out every possible variable.

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey folks.

I'm a hardwire enthusiast, but i recently moved in to a new house with my gf and running cable is absolutely not an option for now.

I have 1200mbit internet with Comcast and the speeds wired are fine, but whenever i try to do wireless on any device i am capped at 40 up and down regardless if i am testing from the garage or right next to the modem.

I've tried the latest and greatest to my regular old router. Pci-e to USB. My current set up is tp link ax6600 router with ac1900 USB adapters. This has gotten me the best signal strength but the same slow speed. Anything obvious i might be overlooking?

I've tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz both regular and gaming band.

I appreciate any input.

I'd boot a linux live os and see if you get the same issues. My hunch is that it will be faster even though you mentioned any device is capped.

So both USB wifi and PCIe wifi cards , both got limited at 40?
What about your cell phone, sitting in the same spot as your PC...that also stuck at 40?

If yes, Id lean into a router setting since wired from the router is full speed

So both USB wifi and PCIe wifi cards , both got limited at 40?
What about your cell phone, sitting in the same spot as your PC...that also stuck at 40?

If yes, Id lean into a router setting since wired from the router is full speed
Yea even my iphone sitting right on top of the router is stuck at 40mbps. Just can't wrap my head around what setting could cause this. I will make another run through to make sure there is no QoS settings though.

gaming QoS was enabled.
That type of thing will do it. ;)

I would test wired directly to your router and see what you get now. You should be maxing out what the router can do. You can also test directly at the cable modem which should match your plan speeds.

That type of thing will do it. ;)

I would test wired directly to your router and see what you get now. You should be maxing out what the router can do. You can also test directly at the cable modem which should match your plan speeds.
Wired runs fine. ~1300 mbps. Wireless I am getting 720mbps in the next room and 190mbps downstairs in the garage. upload in both places is excellent (for comcast) at 42mbps.

After finding newer wireless adapter drivers my speed more than doubled. I can live with this for now, but am definitely wiring next house with ethernet.

Wired runs fine. ~1300 mbps. Wireless I am getting 720mbps in the next room and 190mbps downstairs in the garage. upload in both places is excellent (for comcast) at 42mbps.

After finding newer wireless adapter drivers my speed more than doubled. I can live with this for now, but am definitely wiring next house with ethernet.
You don't even have to live with it now--there are moca 2.5Gbps adapters that work as well as wired if you have any cable wires anywhere. (y)

Back